What's your opinion guys?

Image from agent jucey
    Attached Thumbnails BlackBerry will put advert in chat list BBM-1458289967003.jpg  
    03-18-16 03:33 AM
    it's a pain in the azz and i don't like the idea at all!
    TgeekB, Mr.Conviviality and sam81 like this.
    03-18-16 04:49 AM
    Aha BlackBerry is finally monetizing BBM! It's genius!

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    03-18-16 05:15 AM
    Oh man... Thats absolutely the wrong way to go. Get famous and then put adverts - like FB did.
    03-18-16 06:11 AM
    That's brutal.
    03-18-16 06:13 AM
    Another reason why I dropped BBM. Although I upgraded to no ads and custom pin, but no one I know uses BBM anymore, I haven't had a BBM in like forever.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-18-16 06:23 AM
    These programs and services have to be paid for by someone.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-18-16 06:28 AM
    Yea very disappointed.
    03-18-16 06:56 AM
    It's one of those decisions that shows their incompetence. Nobody likes ads, Facebook is for ads, basically adbook, so is Instagram. But messaging apps, na. Talking about privacy and security.
    03-18-16 07:40 AM
    It's one of those decisions that shows their incompetence. Nobody likes ads, Facebook is for ads, basically adbook, so is Instagram. But messaging apps, na. Talking about privacy and security.
    It is not incompetence. So you don't like ads, service is now $19.99 per year.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-16 10:24 AM
    Reminder to self--don't update! The day that I have the choice of ads vs $20 per year for no ads is the day I drop BBM. I have only a few BBM contacts and I will just go to SMS. The major reason I still use BB and try to stay away from anything Google is to minimize advertising on my device. Not happy with the subscription service but I guess it is what it is.
    03-18-16 10:34 AM
    Reminder to self--don't update! The day that I have the choice of ads vs $20 per year for no ads is the day I drop BBM. I have only a few BBM contacts and I will just go to SMS. The major reason I still use BB and try to stay away from anything Google is to minimize advertising on my device. Not happy with the subscription service but I guess it is what it is.
    My point is that a service like this can't be funded on sunshine and lolipops. They have to make money some how either through subscriptions, sales, and/or advertising. This is the same for all services.

If you watch a YouTube series such as GMM, you will see advertising all over the place. Newspapers, magazines, CrackBerry, they all rely on advertising. You may not like it, but the fact is the company has to make or the service becomes subscription service.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-16 10:40 AM
    My point is that a service like this can't be funded on sunshine and lolipops. They have to make money some how either through subscriptions, sales, and/or advertising. This is the same for all services.

If you watch a YouTube series such as GMM, you will see advertising all over the place. Newspapers, magazines, CrackBerry, they all rely on advertising. You may not like it, but the fact is the company has to make or the service becomes subscription service.

Posted via CB10
    Totally understand, but that does not mean I am going to stick around just for a couple of contacts. Maybe for $10. I think $20 is a bit high. I only have 5 other contacts-3 of which I convinced to use BBM and none of us really need the service. We will probably all leave (for sure 2 of my contacts on iOS). I am just saying be prepared for a mass exodus of small users.
    TomatoPaste and FF22 like this.
    03-18-16 10:51 AM
    You're right.

But they think this is the way forward obviously.

If you think I said it, I didn't say it.
    03-18-16 10:53 AM
    I agree. But they'll just make it a mandatory update (for security purposes) and be done with it.

I've only a small handful of contacts I've been successful in convincing to install and use BBM on Android and iPhone. With FB Messenger, WhatsApp, and the like being what the majority use that is no small feat. The BBM ads have been on those devices for awhile and felt awful upon realizing it since lack of ads was one of my selling points.
    03-18-16 10:57 AM
    The reason why BB is not in the position add adds to BBM, or let people pay for no adds is the following:

They first have to deliver a better product with a bigger userbase than the one big competitor: WhatsApp

While the usberbase is very small and the functions are not really so much better than on WhatsApp, why the H should anybody pay, or look at stupid adds?? I do not understand that.

You have to invest something to make profit out of it.
    And this is what BB should do right now: start to make the best instant messanger around, for example with cross-platform-video-chat, or integration of dropbox or something similar.
    If you don't - you're never gonna make something out of it.
    03-18-16 11:02 AM
    Oh well one more reason to use free Whatsapp

Posted via CB10
    03-18-16 11:37 AM
    Oh well one more reason to use free Whatsapp

Posted via CB10
    BBM is free, and I highly doubt Whatsapp will be ad free much longer. FB will need to turn a profit on Whatsapp or investors will get upset.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-16 01:05 PM
    What's BBM?
    Doggerz, TgeekB and techvisor like this.
    03-18-16 01:13 PM
    What's BBM?
    It was a market research company based out of Toronto.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-16 01:33 PM
    I hope everyone in this thread realized my 19.99 figure isn't based on anything. I was just me stating to pay for the cost of BBM it is either advertising or a subscription.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-16 01:35 PM
    I hope everyone in this thread realized my 19.99 figure isn't based on anything. I was just me stating to pay for the cost of BBM it is either advertising or a subscription.

Posted via CB10
    The thing is, there is usually more money to be made in advertising than in subscriptions.

You'll probably have to go to the already subscription based BBM Protected... think that's $30 a year, which isn't all that bad.
    03-18-16 02:28 PM
    Guys first of all, ads is what brings revenues. BlackBerry is playing a smart move by taking money from companies to use BBM as a platform to advertise. Second of all, this ads are only on iOS and Android version of the BBM. I haven't seen a single ad on my BlackBerry BBM.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-16 02:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    I did not realize this. I guess I am gullible. I would be ok with a one-time fee (just as any other app in BBW) as in an upgrade to BBM Pro (ad free), say $10 or $15.
    03-18-16 03:07 PM
    It is not incompetence. So you don't like ads, service is now $19.99 per year.

Posted via CB10
    WhatsApp is free, kik, messenger, pretty much everything else is free of charge without ads.
    03-18-16 04:13 PM
103 123 ...