Ok so I've searched the forums and the rest of the web for a solution, but can't find a thing. I know I'm going to get some grief for this combination, but I have an Ipod Touch that just has some applications my blackberry doesn't. I know there are apps out there, like WMWifiRouter or WalkingHotSpot for Windows Mobile and Symbian respectively, that will turn your device into a wifi router so any wifi device can use the data connection of the mobile phone. Is there a solution like this for Blackberry? I have a 8320 and I know how to use it as a modem, but i am looking for a solution that will enable my ipod touch to access the data connection on my 8320. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone!
    09-22-08 05:20 PM
    No solution that I have seen. Windows Mobile has much the the code built into the OS for Internet Connection Sharing. I don't believe the BlackBerry does, so somone would have to start from the ground up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-08 06:35 AM
    No solution that I have seen. Windows Mobile has much the the code built into the OS for Internet Connection Sharing. I don't believe the BlackBerry does, so somone would have to start from the ground up.

Any new developments on this?

-AM
    03-26-09 01:49 AM
    I personally don't know any. You may want to try using your PC's shared internet capabilites I'd you how to use the BB as a modem.

03-26-09 04:21 AM
    Blackberrys cant connect to other devices such as ipods, notebooks, or any thing like that via wifi. Only to access points / routers.
    03-26-09 04:37 AM
    Check out the Cradlepoint routers:

MBR1000 Failsafe Broadband N Router | Cradlepoint Technology

You can use them to connect Blackberries, Aircards and other cellular type devices to create a hotspot virtually anywhere.
    03-26-09 06:13 AM
    Nice share Trucky. I did not know that.

03-26-09 06:16 AM
    Check out the Cradlepoint routers:

MBR1000 Failsafe Broadband N Router | Cradlepoint Technology

You can use them to connect Blackberries, Aircards and other cellular type devices to create a hotspot virtually anywhere.
    I don't think this will help the OP's request. They were looking for a way to use the BlackBerry's data connection for internet access on other devices (iTouch). Unless the CradlePoint has direct wireless internet access, it wouldn't give his iPod Touch access to the internet wherever he went.

I don't think there is software available to connect directly to your BB with another device, or giving your BB the ability to share its data connection (except tethered).
    03-26-09 06:21 AM
    Well, the Cradlepoint uses the bb internet connection to make it appear just like any other hotspot or access point would to the touch. Would that not serve the purpose?
    03-26-09 06:30 AM
    Well, the Cradlepoint uses the bb internet connection to make it appear just like any other hotspot or access point would to the touch. Would that not serve the purpose?
    Now, that would be intereresting to see if it would actually do this with the BB's internet connection...

From reading the specs, does this mean your BB would have to be tethered to the access point?
    03-26-09 06:41 AM
    I guess it would be like a tether... I use mine every day as a bluetooth DUN. I think the cradlepoint does a similar function. For people like me who don't have access to real broadband choices it's a real interesting concept.
    03-26-09 06:47 AM
    This site has a lot of great info on these systems, including a great forum:

EVDO info, EV-DO Coverage, Tips, News, Reviews, Verizon, Sprint : EVDOinfo.com

I would recommend anyone interested poke around there a bit. People are doing incredible things with this technology.
    03-26-09 06:49 AM
    From reading their documentation, it talks about using the cellular carrier's aircard for wireless connectivity. So, instead of plugging the card into your laptop, you plug it into the access point and your laptop, phone, iTouch... would gain wifi internet access. The online documentation doesn't show anywhere to use the BlackBerry itself at the internet connection.

It does show tethering your BB to the access point to give the access point use of the BBs internet connection.
    Last edited by Xopher; 03-26-09 at 06:59 AM.
    03-26-09 06:53 AM
    Most of the routers support Blackberry...

CradlePoint has released Firmware Version 2.3 that provides official device support for:
    03-26-09 06:58 AM
    This still means tethering your BB to the Cradlepoint. The USB port on the Cradlepoint will recognize the BlackBerry and use its tethering capabilities to share with the rest of the wirelessly attached devices.
    03-26-09 07:07 AM
    This still means tethering your BB to the Cradlepoint. The USB port on the Cradlepoint will recognize the BlackBerry and use its tethering capabilities to share with the rest of the wirelessly attached devices.
    Exactly, but the big deal, to me anyway, is that now any WiFi enabled device can have internet access (through your BB/Cradlepoint) virtually anywhere. There's even a battery powered one so you could setup your own hotspot anywhere you have service.
    03-26-09 07:26 AM
    Exactly, but the big deal, to me anyway, is that now any WiFi enabled device can have internet access (through your BB/Cradlepoint) virtually anywhere. There's even a battery powered one so you could setup your own hotspot anywhere you have service.
    That's pretty kewl!
    03-26-09 07:46 AM
    WMWifiRouter (wmwifirouter.com)

This is what we need!
    03-29-09 03:23 PM
    Yes, as the previous poster showed, Windows Mobile devices have this capability. The other (better, in my opinion) option is to use a Symbian-based device and use JoikuSpot. (JoikuSpot)

I use this program on my Nokia E71. I have successfully done this with (as the OP wanted) an iPod touch, a Skype phone, and a laptop all sharing a speedy 3.5G data connection served up (unknowingly) by AT&T.

Now the carrier seeing a crapload of data usage is a different story, one I won't cover in depth here.

To the OP: I have looked for someone to program a similar solution to this for a couple years, and have never found a BlackBerry program with similar capabilities. I doubt it's a hardware limitation, my best guess is that nobody has written the code. Heck, if I had the time to learn the APIs, I might give it a shot! (No, I don't have the time)

Anyway, if anyone comes up with this solution, please share with the community!!
    03-29-09 04:05 PM
    So can it be done on the blackberry or is there a program out there that can function like wmwifirouter for blackberries. I'm coming from a windows mobile platform and this is what i miss the most about it.
    05-22-09 11:54 AM
    Here is a pretty easy solution that allows me to share my BB Tour's mobile broadband connection with multiple devices using Vista, XP or Mac (this example is using Vista):

1. Connect to the internet via your BB using either a wired or a bluetooth connection.
    2. Open "Network and Sharing Center"
    3. Select "Set up a connection or network" in upper left hand corner
    4. Select "Set up a wireless ad-hoc (computer to computer) network
    5. Select "Next"
    6. Select a network name, your encryption type (I chose WEP), and a either five or 13 alphanumeric password (it has to be either exactly five or 13)
    7. Select "Save this network"
    8. When the screen comes up asking for the type of network chose either Home, Business or Public (I chose Home)
    9. Go to your other laptop or device and select "Connect to a network". You will now see the other network listed as whatever you named it.
    10. Connect using the password you set up.
    11. Viola! You are now sharing the BB connection.

This steps might be slightly different using XP or Mac, but the idea is the same. So far I haven't found that any downside to this as long as you don't exceed your 5 GB limit, which seems difficult to me considering how much we use each day.

Right now I am connected to the internet through a bluetooth connection to my BB Tour, my daughter has her laptop connected through my computer via a wi-fi connection and she also has her iPod touch connected via wi-fi.

I find it is a wonderful way to have a hotspot in your car or hotel room, or in this case, multiple hotel rooms. Her room is two doors down from ours and she has two or three bars of connectivity, even though the documentation says that you must be within 30 feet (which kind of makes it sound like it is bluetooth related, but it is not).

Good luck setting it up.

Take care,
    megogo
    08-09-09 09:54 AM
    very interesting
    08-09-09 10:23 AM
    Well I was wondering if what the OP posted if it could be done for same reason since I have no WIFI at work for my Ipod touch to connect.Now I know that it can't or sounds like it can't be because I would just like to be able to use Ipod touch to be able to use the signal from my Blackberry to connect with internet,like when I use my Ipod off my desktop and rereading this thread now I am not sure if this was exactly the OP's question , sorry if it wasn't no hijack intended.

Last edited by DavidNC; 08-09-09 at 12:38 PM. Reason: PS added more info
    08-09-09 12:00 PM
    This is exactly what I'm looking for, but since there's a fear that PAM is being discontinued by Sprint, I am using Tetherberry. Is anyone aware of a way to use Tetherberry, then share the connection with iPod touches, or other wifi devices? We'll soon have iPod touches in our home, and I'd like the kids to have the ability to use them wirelessly when we're traveling using my data connection. Any thoughts?

Here is a pretty easy solution that allows me to share my BB Tour's mobile broadband connection with multiple devices using Vista, XP or Mac (this example is using Vista):

1. Connect to the internet via your BB using either a wired or a bluetooth connection.
    2. Open "Network and Sharing Center"
    3. Select "Set up a connection or network" in upper left hand corner
    4. Select "Set up a wireless ad-hoc (computer to computer) network
    5. Select "Next"
    6. Select a network name, your encryption type (I chose WEP), and a either five or 13 alphanumeric password (it has to be either exactly five or 13)
    7. Select "Save this network"
    8. When the screen comes up asking for the type of network chose either Home, Business or Public (I chose Home)
    9. Go to your other laptop or device and select "Connect to a network". You will now see the other network listed as whatever you named it.
    10. Connect using the password you set up.
    11. Viola! You are now sharing the BB connection.

This steps might be slightly different using XP or Mac, but the idea is the same. So far I haven't found that any downside to this as long as you don't exceed your 5 GB limit, which seems difficult to me considering how much we use each day.

Right now I am connected to the internet through a bluetooth connection to my BB Tour, my daughter has her laptop connected through my computer via a wi-fi connection and she also has her iPod touch connected via wi-fi.

I find it is a wonderful way to have a hotspot in your car or hotel room, or in this case, multiple hotel rooms. Her room is two doors down from ours and she has two or three bars of connectivity, even though the documentation says that you must be within 30 feet (which kind of makes it sound like it is bluetooth related, but it is not).

Good luck setting it up.

Take care,
    megogo
    12-02-09 12:55 PM
    I have a Tour 9630 (Sprint) and just downloaded the tetherberry software for the BB and my laptop (windows 7). They do not seem to recognize each other via bluetooth. Can someone help me with the stepts needed to get this to work? Do I need DM on my laptop also?
    01-10-10 10:02 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD