To the OP: you are exactly on point. Chen is obviously not a smartphone guy and was hand-picked by a major investor to salvage his investment after a liquidation was blocked by Canadian regulators. Crackberry members desperately want him to turn into a smartphone guy and will cling to just about anything he says in that vein.

The fact is that the company's market share is now too small to participate in the consumer smartphone race. It's too small to build a tablet business from scratch. There is a clear strategy to try to break even in the hardware business with retro products and features. Any new hardware focused on enterprise customers will likely be missing the new consumer-oriented features that other platforms are constantly adding.

If you really want a high-end touch-screen phone and a tablet, Blackberry isn't the company to be in love with. Neither of those efforts were very successful and it's clear that the company is moving away from those segments of the mobile market.
    JeepBB, richardat and Doggerz like this.
    04-19-14 09:27 AM
    Video editing is software, not hardware. The Z30 can record 1080p. Equalizer is software, not hardware. HDR is software. Most of what you mention is software and not hardware related.

BTW: I had a Dev A Z10 and have a Q10 with 1GB of RAM. There is no 2 min lag so don't try to say something that isn't true. I even have 10.2 on the Q10 and it doesn't lag.
    I played with a dev device are you sure you ain't talking about a full retail ?
    Because if you are you are calling Thorstein and all these dev liars
    Thorstein wasn't happy with playbook performance with BB10
    A dev device had the beta not optimized for speed
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...device-769888/

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    04-19-14 09:30 AM
    That's more to do with bbry then anything
    Manufacturers typically do advertising or cofund it with carriers
    Bbry doesn't really do advertising which is a take from the rim days
    Let's see be bold campaign
    The bold team
    The wake up we want tools not toys (ended with a lot of vandalism) which is bad for bbry's image
    The super bowl disaster
    Announcing z10 a full 2 months before it was available
    It was released in England in Feb and Canada in march us in April

All that has to do with the past and nothing to do with Chen. Blackberry is focusing on their core and needs to continue to do that or any talk about new devices are mute. And just because they are focused on business users doesn't mean you can't buy the devices.
    Alain_A and bambinoitaliano like this.
    04-19-14 09:31 AM
    All that has to do with the past and nothing to do with Chen. Blackberry is focusing on their core and needs to continue to do that or any talk about new devices are mute. And just because they are focused on business users doesn't mean you can't buy the devices.
    If you read the quote I quoted he was blaming the lack of sales on carriers instead of bbry lack of good advertising
    Nothing to do with Chen.

04-19-14 09:33 AM
    I played with a dev device are you sure you ain't talking about a full retail ?
    Because if you are you are calling Thorstein and all these dev liars
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...device-769888/

Nope. I had a Dev Alpha Z10 which I traded in for a Red Z10. I also have a Q10 with 1GB of RAM that isn't a Dev Alpha C. They never lagged and I didn't play with them, I developed apps on them. I used the Dev Alpha A for months and still use the Q10.
    Attached Thumbnails Is the BlackBerry that we love dead?-img_00000052.png  
    04-19-14 09:37 AM
    Video editing is software, not hardware. The Z30 can record 1080p. Equalizer is software, not hardware. HDR is software. Most of what you mention is software and not hardware related.

BTW: I had a Dev A Z10 and have a Q10 with 1GB of RAM. There is no 2 min lag so don't try to say something that isn't true. I even have 10.2 on the Q10 and it doesn't lag.
    I didn't say the q10 lags I said better memory management
    Quite a huge difference
    Dev c devices according to the above link people mention cannot open more then 2 tabs you telling me that memory management isn't an issue? Tell that to the playbook users
    Who have 1 gig of memory

04-19-14 09:39 AM
    Nope. I had a Dev Alpha Z10 which I traded in for a Red Z10. I also have a Q10 with 1GB of RAM that isn't a Dev Alpha C. They never lagged and I didn't play with them, I developed apps on them. I used the Dev Alpha A for months and still use the Q10.
    So explain Thorstein and all those developers in that thread the ones that state there is a memory issue with a gig of memory that was on Dev device
    http://us.blackberry.com/smartphones...fications.html
    FYI caught you with a mistake
    Q10 has 2 gigs of memory

04-19-14 09:42 AM
    Benchmarks don't mean much except for bragging. The camera is much the same as everyone else, look at the comparison photos posted out there. The screen isn't pixelated, the human eye can't see the pixels. Apps have nothing to do with the hardware.
    Please, the camera isn't close to other high end smartphones. This is one area where BB really needs to step up. If you have a brightly lit completely still subject then yes its fine. In all other areas it's woefully bad compared to competitors.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    ajst222, JeepBB, Raddin and 5 others like this.
    04-19-14 09:43 AM
    Quite a huge difference
    Dev c devices according to the above link people mention cannot open more then 2 tabs you telling me that memory management isn't an issue? Tell that to the playbook users
    Who have 1 gig of memory

I just posted a screenshot of a Q10 with 1GB of RAM running 4 apps. I can't show a screenshot of it running 6 but it did. So then tell me why memory management is an issue.
    04-19-14 09:44 AM
    So explain Thorstein and all those developers in that thread the ones that state there is a memory issue with a gig of memory that was on Dev device
    BlackBerry Q10 Specs - Specifications - BlackBerry Q10 Smartphone - US
    FYI caught you with a mistake
    Q10 has 2 gigs of memory

Check the screenshot before you post. You didn't even look at it. There are lots of posts about a 1GB Q10 that does exist. They didn't sell it to the public, but they do exist. You should check your facts before posting.
    meltbox360 likes this.
    04-19-14 09:45 AM
    Quite a huge difference
    Who have 1 gig of memory

I didn't really want to get involved any further but here goes: these are good points but one I think is important to look at is that the Z3 (BlackBerry's absolute LOWEST end phone) needs 1.5 GB of RAM. Windows Phone and Android both run on 512MB. Not sure how smooth Android is but Windows Phone is very smooth. Not only that, but I'm friends with a developer and he has used a Z3 and says that it is laggy and he is disappointed.

About the Z30, I really can't see how people argue that the screen is good. Pixels are noticeable. When I went to check it out when I was in the store, EVEN MY GRANDFATHER didn't like the screen. His main complaint was that it was dark (on full brightness) but also said it didn't look as crisp. He obviously doesn't know the technical stuff, but it's the pixels. They are definitely noticeable. If you seriously can't see the difference between the Z30 screen and say the GSIV screen, then get your eyes checked.
    04-19-14 09:46 AM
    "Just an FYI, that leaked OS actually runs very well on a Dev A. Obviously, it's slower compared to the release Z10 and there's a little hanging/crashing that I'd attribute to the lower RAM as much as anything else. It's surprisingly good, actually."
    "I guess it may be inconsistent, as others have told me numerous things barely launch (like Twitter/FB apps, and many others).

The fact it can work is great for anyone for whom it actually does though! :-)

Given that some BB employees are stuck with the DAs and 1GB phones for the next while, I could see them keeping the firmware alive on it for a few months yet actually."

04-19-14 09:46 AM
    The focus is on Keyboards and bringing back the "belt." This is not a fiction, this is what BlackBerry says. These are looking backward in my opinion. There may be a market for these things but I am not part of that market.

The real thing that has been abandoned, imo, is the mobile computing vision in which the phone, tablet, and PC all all connected where ever you are. No one else is pursuing this kind of thing but I do see that you can now access your home PC through Chrome with an Android phone. This is at least in the neighborhood of where BlackBerry was going.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 09:49 AM
    The focus is on Keyboards and bringing back the "belt." This is not a fiction, this is what BlackBerry says. These are looking backward in my opinion. There may be a market for these things but I am not part of that market.

The real thing that has been abandoned, imo, is the mobile computing vision in which the phone, tablet, and PC all all connected where ever you are. No one else is pursuing this kind of thing but I do see that you can now access your home PC through Chrome with an Android phone. This is at least in the neighborhood of where BlackBerry was going.

Posted via CB10
    Completely agree here. Bringing back the "belt" is, in the eyes of consumers, bringing back BBOS. That's completely laughable, and it WILL be mocked. Mark my words. They need to focus on making BB10 more modern and focus on their software and services that go with it.
    04-19-14 09:52 AM
    I didn't really want to get involved any further but here goes: these are good points but one I think is important to look at is that the Z3 (BlackBerry's absolute LOWEST end phone) needs 1.5 GB of RAM. Windows Phone and Android both run on 512MB. Not sure how smooth Android is but Windows Phone is very smooth. Not only that, but I'm friends with a developer and he has used a Z3 and says that it is laggy and he is disappointed.

About the Z30, I really can't see how people argue that the screen is good. Pixels are noticeable. When I went to check it out when I was in the store, EVEN MY GRANDFATHER didn't like the screen. His main complaint was that it was dark (on full brightness) but also said it didn't look as crisp. He obviously doesn't know the technical stuff, but it's the pixels. They are definitely noticeable. If you seriously can't see the difference between the Z30 screen and say the GSIV screen, then get your eyes checked.
    Needs and have are two different things. I can run 4+ apps on 10.2.1 running on a 1GB Q10. It doesn't lag. It is a little slower than the Z30, but that is mostly GPU/CPU related, not memory. Can't comment on a Z3 as I don't have one, but I have developed and tested apps on the 1GB Q10 and was not disappointed.

The pixels on the Z30 are not noticeable. The human eye can't see ppi in the range that the Z30 has. I have shown the Z30 to dozens of people and showed them movies, photos and screens and no one has said anything about pixels or fuzzy.
    04-19-14 09:52 AM
    To the OP: you are exactly on point. Chen is obviously not a smartphone guy and was hand-picked by a major investor to salvage his investment after a liquidation was blocked by Canadian regulators. Crackberry members desperately want him to turn into a smartphone guy and will cling to just about anything he says in that vein.

The fact is that the company's market share is now too small to participate in the consumer smartphone race. It's too small to build a tablet business from scratch. There is a clear strategy to try to break even in the hardware business with retro products and features. Any new hardware focused on enterprise customers will likely be missing the new consumer-oriented features that other platforms are constantly adding.

If you really want a high-end touch-screen phone and a tablet, Blackberry isn't the company to be in love with. Neither of those efforts were very successful and it's clear that the company is moving away from those segments of the mobile market.
    All the people here that are so in love with Chen are the same people who don't want BlackBerry to ever be great again. No cool phones. No software. Just gut the company.

BlackBerry should have been given a mandate by Canada like GM was given by the US. GM is making great cars now. And has paid back their loans. BlackBerry will never do that because Chen's goal is to kill the company not save it.

via CB10 using a Z10 / STL100-3 / RFK121LW / 10.2.1.2234 / T-Mobile USA
    04-19-14 09:55 AM
    I just posted a screenshot of a Q10 with 1GB of RAM running 4 apps. I can't show a screenshot of it running 6 but it did. So then tell me why memory management is an issue.
    I did have a look it's very hard to miss show us something more taxing I can play 2 full videos even youtube on my s4 at the same time and split screen that is more taxing then a browser windows and msging

And I can stop and rewind
    Without stopping the other screen
    That's with 2 gigs of memory on s4
    Show me bb10 can run all 6 screen on less then 2 gigs
    Z3 Noone has seen yet run and bbry has stated things will be adjusted as the lower memory

04-19-14 09:55 AM
    A company like HTC can take a shot at the high-end smartphone market but you've got to use Android and do a lot of advertising. You can't advance a mobile platform that sells less than 10 million devices per year. Even then, it doesn't look like HTC is getting much traction with an unquestionably high-end smartphone.
    04-19-14 09:56 AM

The pixels on the Z30 are not noticeable. The human eye can't see ppi in the range that the Z30 has. I have shown the Z30 to dozens of people and showed them movies, photos and screens and no one has said anything about pixels or fuzzy.
    I agree completely. There are no pixels visible on the Z30. 1080p or higher is just for marketing.

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    04-19-14 09:56 AM
    Completely agree here. Bringing back the "belt" is, in the eyes of consumers, bringing back BBOS. That's completely laughable, and it WILL be mocked. Mark my words. They need to focus on making BB10 more modern and focus on their software and services that go with it.
    You have to create the products for the people who want them. There is a large group of people (some very vocal on this site) who want the tool belt. There are a lot of 9900 users that I know that don't want to upgrade to the Q10 because they want it. You have to know your users and the market. Right now we only know that there will be the "Classic" that has the belt. It might be mocked by those who don't want it, but it will be greeted warmly by those who want it.
    acovey likes this.
    04-19-14 09:58 AM
    A company like HTC can take a shot at the high-end smartphone market but you've got to use Android and do a lot of advertising. Even then, it doesn't look like HTC is getting much traction with an unquestionably high-end smartphone.
    The new One is too long. Plus, aluminum is not high end. I don't know why that device gets so much praise.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 09:59 AM
    I did have a look it's very hard to miss show us something more taxing I can play 2 full videos even youtube on my s4 at the same time and split screen that is more taxing then a browser windows and msging

And I can stop and rewind
    Without stopping the other screen
    That's with 2 gigs of memory on s4
    Show me bb10 can run all 6 screen on less then 2 gigs
    Z3 Noone has seen yet run and bbry has stated things will be adjusted as the lower memory

You said that it couldn't run 2 if at all, I showed you that it can run 4, thus proving you wrong. Now you want more proof. I guess after than you want 8 etc.
    04-19-14 10:01 AM
    Needs and have are two different things. I can run 4+ apps on 10.2.1 running on a 1GB Q10. It doesn't lag. It is a little slower than the Z30, but that is mostly GPU/CPU related, not memory. Can't comment on a Z3 as I don't have one, but I have developed and tested apps on the 1GB Q10 and was not disappointed.

So you're saying BlackBerry should tell users that they shouldn't have decent performance on their lower end devices? That'll go over well.

As far as the PPI number, that's been highly debated. Research shows (from maybe 2 years ago, just before the launch of the iPhone 5 if I remember) that it should be like 450PPI because that's that the eye can't detect from 12" away. The 300 number, from some research and from my own personal experiences, is wrong.
    04-19-14 10:01 AM
    The new One is too long. Plus, aluminum is not high end. I don't know why that device gets so much praise.

Posted via CB10
    Aluminum is high end IMO. More high end than plastic.
    fbloise and MozThaGreat like this.
    04-19-14 10:02 AM
    You know high end specs
    High end features and even basic features like video editing, 1080p recording, a equalizer, a decent hdr and lens (new improved hdr in 10.3 beta tells all)
    Panaromic shots, blur shots , no buried menus
    Full data control

Better memory management
    Bbry is the only phone that requires 2 gigs of memory
    While others can run their latest version on 512megs ram smoothly
    Android 4.4.2 and all I phones don't have 2 gigs of memory that says it all
    I used a dev c z 10 which was horrible those things had a 1 gig of ram and you had a 2 min click lag between clicking and registering the click

Just go to another platform already. Clearly you're not happy so move on. Case closed.

Want to know if they're lying to you? Join our channel at C002EFE5D to learn how to become a human lie-detector!
    04-19-14 10:02 AM
144 1234 ...