You lack a lot of vision, if you are a 100% sure about that.
    I am not a big sci-fi fan, but you probably should rewatch Star Trek TOS. They had some nice ideas for a show in the 60s.

Anyhow, there are a lot of possibilities for wearables to get extremely useful.
    And we are currently on the way to have advancements in terms of battery tech and miniaturization.

Size is a huge constraint, when it comes down to performance, and especially wearables are pretty limited in that department.
    But we just started with them, and the 2 different form factors we currently see are glasses and watches.
    Both are logical choices, because both are accessories humans have used for centuries.

To say that the smartwatch (or however we will call it in the future) is sure to fail, is very probably wrong. Yeah, the first few iterations won't change the world, but why should we stop where we currently are?
    The phone-market evolved away from keyboard phones to touchscreen ones, even though the vast majority didn't take the first iPhone seriously.

Posted via CB10
    Can you argue competently for the necessity of this kind of wearable though, when compared to a phone with a screen size which allows you to use the functionality?
    Lots of things are invented because they're cool or interesting, because in capitalism that translates into dollars, let's remember. That is not an argument for their utility, far from it.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 08:17 AM
    You lack a lot of vision, if you are a 100% sure about that.
    I am not a big sci-fi fan, but you probably should rewatch Star Trek TOS. They had some nice ideas for a show in the 60s.
    I am a big sci-fi fan and I don't remember a single character wearing a smart watch. In fact, for most of the sci-fi I have watched both in the past and present, there were very few smart watches. Most were communicators worn on the hip. Or they had something like google glass. you need your hands free to do a task so you can't always take your hand away from the task to look at the screen or bring it up to your mouth to talk into it. That is where smart watches are useless in the real world. Star Trek TOS had a communicator. Space 1999 had a communicator too. Star Trek TNG had a communicator on the chest.

BlackBerry Watch?-treknobabble50_1.jpg

BlackBerry Watch?-commlock3.jpg

Smart watches that were not part of a suit were few and far between. So maybe you should go back and check some of the sci-fi that you speak of but don't follow before you post about it.
    08-05-14 08:42 AM
    I guess you guys are too young for Richard Tracy! (the abbreviation of Richard, but I can't type that)

BlackBerry Watch?-dick_tracy_250.jpg
    johnny_bravo72 likes this.
    08-05-14 11:20 AM
    I guess you guys are too young for Richard Tracy! (the abbreviation of Richard, but I can't type that)
    You mean Dickson?

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 11:26 AM
54 123