10-29-09 03:36 PM
29 12
tools
  1. dannster's Avatar
    I accidentally put my 8900 in the washing machine! It's still in one piece but obviously it's very wet and won't turn on. I've heard a bowl of rice and a few hours wait does the trick? Anyone had any experience of that or any other ways to save it?
    10-26-09 08:36 AM
  2. zabooza's Avatar
    Ive never had experience with a Blackberry being fully submerged, but I assume it's the same for most phones. Usually a few days of just letting it sit out and dry will do it.

    My step-son dropped an LG enV into a toilet full of urine and even that worked after a few days.
    10-26-09 08:41 AM
  3. McCracken's Avatar
    check link in my sig. Wait a few days, not a few hours, and try options outside of rice. The trouble you might have is detergent.
    10-26-09 08:41 AM
  4. Radius's Avatar
    You have bigger issues than rice I believe, like soap and phosphates in there. You are going to have to scrub it clean or things will not work and you risk corrosion.
    10-26-09 09:25 AM
  5. berryfit's Avatar
    But if it went through the full cycle, it actually was in clear water.

    The problems could be more extensive from rattling around in the washer. It might not be visible, but the constant thud on the washer could be a problem.

    Did that to my LG 6100 years ago. Went through wash and dry! Good lord, the think was battered and bashed., LcD screen was black and blue! Not good!
    10-26-09 09:30 AM
  6. Ami.'s Avatar
    I don't know a phone that survives the washing machine.
    10-26-09 09:33 AM
  7. Radius's Avatar
    But if it went through the full cycle, it actually was in clear water.
    Yes, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. It should still be scrubbed with alcohol.
    10-26-09 10:01 AM
  8. htessmer04's Avatar
    whatever you do, do not put the battery back in. if you havent taken it out you might be in trouble. make sure your battery stays out until you are sure the phone is completely dry (about 24hrs). dont use a hairdryer. when its dry and you put the battery back in you should be fine. If it still won't turn on go to a verizon store and ask to try a battery. I've seen lots of cases where its actually the battery that is ruined and not the phone. I deal with this issue all the time
    10-26-09 10:26 AM
  9. jabohn's Avatar
    I don't know a phone that survives the washing machine.
    Then you should meet my mom's Samsung flip phone that went through the wash months ago. It went through in her jeans pocket. After a few days it was working but the screen was a little warped and the phone would not turn off. A few weeks later and the phone to back to normal, even the screen got better (although not back to where it was before the wash).
    10-26-09 10:51 AM
  10. berryite's Avatar
    I accidentally put my 8900 in the washing machine! It's still in one piece but obviously it's very wet and won't turn on. I've heard a bowl of rice and a few hours wait does the trick? Anyone had any experience of that or any other ways to save it?
    I did that once with an old Motorola several years ago. White clothes, hot water cycle.

    After finding the poor thing, I took it all apart and left everything sitting out in the open with the battery unplugged for several days.

    After about 3 days, I put the battery back in, closed the battery door and turned it on. The only thing that didn't work was the backlight on the number "8" key. Everything else was fine.

    Personally, if I were you, I'd just get a new phone.
    10-26-09 10:53 AM
  11. jlb21's Avatar
    I had a Moto E815 that went for a swim with me on South Beach in Miami while waiting to go on a cruise. Got home and waited a few more days and it came back. I upgraded soon thereafter but I was amazed that the saltwater didn't completely fubar it.
    10-26-09 11:30 AM
  12. kjjb0204's Avatar
    My guess is that since you already tried turning it on with the battery in before completely drying it out, it's probably completely fried.
    10-26-09 12:04 PM
  13. TheSultan's Avatar
    As has been said, sort of, rice is a great trick when you get a LITTLE water on the device. You've managed to bang it around and around and soak it in soapy water for upwards of at least 30 minutes.

    It's toasted.
    10-26-09 12:06 PM
  14. decolur455's Avatar
    Yeah, that's pretty extreme I must say. Let us know what happens but you might need a spot of jelly to go with it... Toast
    10-26-09 12:14 PM
  15. pkcable's Avatar
    It's most likely toast, BUT try McCracken's method, I read it over and it's quite good! That is your best shot. Follow all of the steps especially the alcohol bath (you need to get the deterent and other stuff out) and the waiting while it drys Steps 5 & 5 1/2. Worstcase you need to do an insurance claim, or replace it.
    10-26-09 12:17 PM
  16. thebignewt's Avatar
    My wife washed her Pearl. We tried all the usual suspects. Go ahead and try. Then head for Ebay lol .
    10-26-09 12:18 PM
  17. Denise in Los Angeles's Avatar
    I did that once with an old Motorola several years ago. White clothes, hot water cycle.

    After finding the poor thing, I took it all apart and left everything sitting out in the open with the battery unplugged for several days.

    After about 3 days, I put the battery back in, closed the battery door and turned it on. The only thing that didn't work was the backlight on the number "8" key. Everything else was fine.

    Personally, if I were you, I'd just get a new phone.
    There ought to be a Miracle Revival of Blackberry thread for stories like yours.
    10-26-09 12:23 PM
  18. Denise in Los Angeles's Avatar
    My wife washed her Pearl. We tried all the usual suspects. Go ahead and try. Then head for Ebay lol .
    So, what kind of Blackberry did she get?
    10-26-09 12:24 PM
  19. dannster's Avatar
    I forgot to add that it had been in the washing machine for about an hour so the water inside was clear by the time I got it out so I'm not sure I should be worried about detergent?

    Also, when I saw it it was wedged between the glass on the door and the rim below it! Not harshly wedged but I'm sure it prevented it from being bashed about!

    I took it out of the washing machine and noticed it was off so didn't bother to turn it on, thank god! I've taken it apart and waiting for it to dry, fingers crossed!
    10-26-09 03:12 PM
  20. Fuzzballz's Avatar
    The trick my uncle, who is an avid photographer, showed me was: if your camera (or whatever) gets dropped in anything besides clear water (ie saltwater, ****, or anything like that) is you have to soak the equipment in water before you let it dry out. It seems weird if you just dropped your $5000 camera in the ocean to take it home and then drop it in a bucket of non-salty water (preferably distilled water), but that was what he said you need to do.

    Because it's not the water per se that will ruin the electronics, it's what's in the water. The water will evaporate and leave stuff that will cause shorts or corrosion or whatever.
    10-26-09 05:43 PM
  21. shrevesenior07's Avatar
    If it makes you feel any better.. my dad sprayed contact cleaner in my stepmoms battery port (I think) anyways... liquid got all in the screen and inside of the phone so he literally soaked it in a big bowl of rubbing alcohol to "dehydrate" it...

    he later sent it to a repair shop..
    moral of the story... see if a pro can repair it... before you submerge it into a big bowl of more liquid to "dehydrate" it... gah... *facepalm*
    10-26-09 11:56 PM
  22. dannster's Avatar
    I took it apart and left it to dry, put it back together and it didn't turn on. I used my mate's battery too so it's definitely fried.

    There's 300 down the drain. And it was only a few weeks old! I'm absolutely gutted

    What are your opinions on the new Bold? Should I replace the 8900 or wait for the new Bold? When is it out in the UK?
    10-28-09 07:16 PM
  23. coxthefox's Avatar
    Nothing is unfixable! But naturally water and electricity do not mix, if your battery was inserted at the time - then there's a good chance it's well... it might be time to contact your insurance supplier.
    10-29-09 06:03 AM
  24. acastro516's Avatar
    try the rice or get it repaired or try insurance if u have it and get it replaced
    10-29-09 11:45 AM
  25. acastro516's Avatar
    sorry 4got to add if all else fails sell it on ebay for some profit atleast
    10-29-09 11:46 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD