http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...ail_rt_mc_body

Personally a merger with amazon would be very good for blackberry. It solves 2 biggest issues that blackberry has now : perception in the US market and entertainment/service offerings.

Amazon would gain a lot from blackberry as well. NOC (expanding their AWS offerings or even take on Netflix by expanding to other countries via NOC), a legitimate OS, a huge potential for growth, patents required to be a player in the smartphone industry.
    08-14-13 06:14 AM
    Rumors rumors...

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 06:14 AM
    BlackBerry seeks white knight to avoid extinction - NYPOST.com

Personally a merger with amazon would be very good for blackberry. It solves 2 biggest issues that blackberry has now : perception in the US market and entertainment/service offerings.

Amazon would gain a lot from blackberry as well. NOC (expanding their AWS offerings or even take on Netflix by expanding to other countries via NOC), a legitimate OS, a huge potential for growth, patents required to be a player in the smartphone industry.
    There is not going to be a merger of any sort, it's either going to go private or be taken-over.
    08-14-13 06:17 AM
  4. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Yes I agree .. this scenario is very compelling for both! ....
    08-14-13 06:23 AM
    Personally a merger with amazon would be very good for blackberry. It solves 2 biggest issues that blackberry has now : perception in the US market and entertainment/service offerings..
    Amazon is having issues making money.

A merger with SiriusXM would be beneficial to both. It would help SiriusXM move to international markets, since BlackBerry already has a presence there. BlackBerry purchased an antenna company that could work towards making SiriusXM more "mobile". BlackBerry could leverage SiriusXM's music (and possibly movie) library.

Back when both SiriusXM and Netflix had some boondoggles and made their prices drop, BlackBerry should have bought them both.

A partnership with Oracle and SiriusXM would be the optimum thing for BlackBerry. Especially if SiriusXM and Oracle handled the marketing.
    08-14-13 06:31 AM
    Now this is just dumb... Amazon has no need nor interest in BBRY. Amazon is making their Kindles with only one purpose: To sell stuff to consume on them.

How would a BB10 phone help Amazon sell more stuff? It wouldn't!
    08-14-13 06:31 AM
    Oracle and SiriusXM? Nope and nope. Won't happen. What possible advantages would BBRY bring them, that they wouldn't get from targeting existing Android and iOS handsets? None.

Do they both need a bigger presence in mobile? Most definitely. But the easier, faster and cheaper way to do that, is to develop for the two leading platforms, rather than buying a struggling handset maker.
    08-14-13 06:39 AM
    Amazon is all about server side services.... doesn't their browser do most of the heavy lifting on the server?

That said, I don't think would want BlackBerry - just the tech and patents.
    08-14-13 08:37 AM
    Amazon would be the best fit. But the more I think about it another possible scenario is for Samsung to abandon Tizen and just purchase BlackBerry. BB10 on Samsung with top specs hardware.
    08-14-13 08:53 AM
    Oracle and SiriusXM? Nope and nope. Won't happen. What possible advantages would BBRY bring them, that they wouldn't get from targeting existing Android and iOS handsets? None..
    More SiriusXM subscribers with portable "radios" that are BlackBerry devices. The whole part about the antenna that I mentioned.

Oracle was already interested in buying BlackBerry to go against Google. Oracle has their own cloud, connections to other clouds and all sorts of pull in the business community. Put Oracle Applications (finance, crm, sales, etc....) onto BB10, throw in DNLA or Miricast and Oracle can finally get the dummy terminals it tried to push back in the '90s.

To repeat.... Oracle wants nothing to do with Google or Windows OS for that matter.
    08-14-13 10:19 AM
    Now this is just dumb... Amazon has no need nor interest in BBRY. Amazon is making their Kindles with only one purpose: To sell stuff to consume on them.

How would a BB10 phone help Amazon sell more stuff? It wouldn't!
    I disagree. For one, Amazon has already expressed interest in BlackBerry a year ago, but RIM decided to go it alone. Amazon has Kindles but the OS to my knowledge is still a forked Android 2.3. Their web browser sucks. They want to get more and more into the corporate world, while also offering their media and storefront. Amazon wants to grow, and BB would give them a powerful OS that already has Android Jellybean support in 10.2, which would allow them to easily port over their apps and their store (hopefully just as a transitional state prior to moving over to native). They'd get a better web browser. They'd get connections internationally, which Amazon sorely lacks with their hardware. Amazon has been rumored to want to get into the phone space. Amazon could also offer corporate-focused apps for their cloud services. BlackBerry could be a powerful platform not just for business but for consumers. BlackBerry would get a much needed benefit in US reputation, they'd get access to Amazon's services and offerings.

Amazon doesn't just want to sell their stuff, they want to own the entire process to maximize on profits and benefit the consumer through lower prices, which would drive the consumer more to them and away from Apple. On the corporate side of things, Amazon dominates with their cloud services and I'm sure they want to expand into more areas of the enterprise.

To me, it's the perfect fit, and I sincerely like the idea as a BB fan because I think BB would come out of it intact and would be strengthened, rather than split up into pieces like many other companies would do.
    08-14-13 12:09 PM
    Amazon is perfect for BBRY...

Amazon uses a unrecognizable non-Google sanctioned android fork for the Kindle Fire line. It is selling like hotcakes even WITHOUT the Android Marketplace. Amazon one of the most trafficked site on the internet (Currently Ranked Number 6 in the world). Can you imagine the amount of advertising BB10 could get if you are running full page ads on Amazons front page!?

Outside of Amazon, Microsoft would be the next logical choice... if only to boost their enterprise presence
    08-14-13 12:40 PM
    Amazon is perfect for BBRY...

Amazon uses a unrecognizable non-Google sanctioned android fork for the Kindle Fire line. It is selling like hotcakes even WITHOUT the Android Marketplace. Amazon one of the most trafficked site on the internet (Currently Ranked Number 6 in the world). Can you imagine the amount of advertising BB10 could get if you are running full page ads on Amazons front page!?

Outside of Amazon, Microsoft would be the next logical choice... if only to boost their enterprise presence
    I don't like the idea of Microsoft because there are redundancies and MS isn't going to drop what they have - they'd get rid of their competition and improve their own products, so BB10 would be gone and replaced with the next version of Windows Phone. BES might continue on and add Windows Phone support. That would be the easier route than improving the MDS features in System Center, but I bet at least eventually it'd all be managed through System Center. MS would benefit surely, and perhaps keep BB as a hardware manufacturer for secure Windows Phone devices, but it'd no longer be BB even if they kept the name.
    08-14-13 12:54 PM
    I don't think Amazon will make a bid for it...they are doing pretty good with Android...if they want to build a smartphone they can easily do it...i don't think they need to spend 6 B with complexity of BlackBerry's operations..If it will be some one then it has to be existing players else it goes to Prem if he can pull it off...

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 01:25 PM
    I am really not following why Amazon woudl want BlackBerry? What would Amazon do in the enterprise?
    08-14-13 05:24 PM
    As was stated elsewhere by others, I'm not sure why Amazon (or anyone) would want BlackBerry for $10 when they didn't want it for $6.

Posted via CB10
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    08-14-13 05:27 PM
    Amazon would be the best fit. But the more I think about it another possible scenario is for Samsung to abandon Tizen and just purchase BlackBerry. BB10 on Samsung with top specs hardware.
    I would love to see Samsung acquire BlackBerry, so long as they intend to continue actively developing BlackBerry 10. Credit where credit's due, Samsung always tries to innovate in some way - even if they produce the occasional gimmick, they've put out plenty of good stuff as well. They seem to have a long-term interest in a platform to fall back onto instead of Android, and with Tizen having made very little progress so far, perhaps they'd be interested in buying a platform that's at least somewhat established compared to Tizen.
    08-14-13 07:16 PM
    As was stated elsewhere by others, I'm not sure why Amazon (or anyone) would want BlackBerry for $10 when they didn't want it for $6.

Posted via CB10
    difference is back then Blackberry was not for sale, $6 and $10 are relative share prices and doesn't reflect the value of BBRY, currently their cash on hand accounts for $6/share.

Amazon want to be another Google - a technology leader and not another dumb pipe like other retailers. Amazon's AWS, cloud services are the reason why it's stock price is so high because the potential is huge for them in the space of PaaS/IaaS/SaaS(Platform as a service offerings) and if amazon wants to build on that they need technology acquisitions like BBRY who has the biggest private network on the planet . Amazon can leverage BBRY's NOC to expand their cloud/AWS services - for example say - pay as you BES subscription, enterprise app store hosting, email, docs (like google), expand their services like video,music to other countries etc. And added to they can leverage BB10 - license it, build phones, tablets etc and remember the BBRY patent portfolio that comes with it. If BBM takes off then they can built another Skype together. Amazon has a huge good will and I think more than either google or msft and it is lead one of the smartest CEO's at the moment. IMO Amazon will be a very good fit for BBRY,

For god's sake BBRY is still making $12 billion in revenue and $1 billion/quarter in enterprise revenue. Any organisation would give an arm and a leg for such a potential. Their BES installbase itself is worth $6-$7 billion.,
    Last edited by sf49ers; 08-14-13 at 08:10 PM.
    08-14-13 07:52 PM
    difference is back then Blackberry was not for sale, $6 and $10 are relative share prices and doesn't reflect the value of BBRY, currently their cash on hand accounts for $6/share.

Amazon want to be another Google - a technology leader and not another dumb pipe like other retailers. Amazon's AWS, cloud services are the reason why it's stock price is so high because the potential is huge for them in the space of PaaS/IaaS/SaaS(Platform as a service offerings) and if amazon wants to build on that they need technology acquisitions like BBRY who has the biggest private network on the planet . Amazon can leverage BBRY's NOC to expand their cloud/AWS services - for example say - pay as you BES subscription, enterprise app store hosting, email, docs (like google), expand their services like video,music to other countries etc. And added to they can leverage BB10 - license it, build phones, tablets etc and remember the BBRY patent portfolio that comes with it. If BBM takes off then they can built another Skype together. Amazon has a huge good will and I think more than either google or msft and it is lead one of the smartest CEO's at the moment. IMO Amazon will be a very good fit for BBRY,

For god's sake BBRY is still making $12 billion in revenue and $1 billion/quarter in enterprise revenue. Any organisation would give an arm and a leg for such a potential. Their BES installbase itself is worth $6-$7 billion.,
    Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy if Amazon took an interest. I'm just not sure BlackBerry's current position makes an acquisition any likelier than it was roughly a year ago.
    Of all possible outcomes, I just don't want to see BlackBerry sold for scrap - which, FWIW, I don't think is all that likely.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 09:26 PM
    Hopefully whoever buys them fires Thorsten Heins and instead of giving him his severance package tells him "We really tried hard to give you that great severance package in your contract, but it just wasn't perfect and we couldn't make it work. It was a tough decision not to give you this package, one of the toughest we've ever had. But look to the future".

Posted via CB10
    Rickroller, LoganSix and kbz1960 like this.
    08-14-13 10:05 PM
    Hopefully whoever buys them fires Thorsten Heins and instead of giving him his severance package tells him "We really tried hard to give you that great severance package in your contract, but it just wasn't perfect and we couldn't make it work. It was a tough decision not to give you this package, one of the toughest we've ever had. But look to the future".

Posted via CB10
    Then turns around and fires Alicia Keyes and tells her "We think you should probably stick to doing whatever you did be for you did whatever you were supposedly doing for us now."
    08-15-13 06:53 AM