iOS is better with OS7 but I disagree that it is better at handling media, for example I can easily use standard DLNA, Miracast, etc to project to a large screen TV. Apple can only do that effortlessly if the target device is hooked up to an AppleTV. Apple is extremely interoperable with itself.
    False. I can Slingbox to my Sony Google TV player from iOS devices. I can also send non DRM video to it, pictures etc. However I cannot mirror my screen.
    01-22-14 04:35 PM
    False. I can Slingbox to my Sony Google TV player from iOS devices. I can also send non DRM video to it, pictures etc. However I cannot mirror my screen.
    He was talking about connecting directly to a Wi-Fi enabled TV, not a through a dongle or a box. This can't be done from an iPhone without additional hardware.
    01-22-14 05:05 PM
    He was talking about connecting directly to a Wi-Fi enabled TV, not a through a dongle or a box. This can't be done from an iPhone without additional hardware.
    Read what's there. Not what you think is there.
    Apple can only do that effortlessly if the target device is hooked up to an AppleTV.
    This is false. This is what the post is addressing. This part of the poster's statement has nothing to do with wifi enabled TVs, dongles or whatever.

It is a false statement. There is no way to sugarcoat it.

This is why another poster made mention of people who don't know the product spreading FUD.

This is FUD.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-22-14 06:15 PM
    Read what's there. Not what you think is there.

This is false. This is what the post is addressing. This part of the poster's statement has nothing to do with wifi enabled TVs, dongles or whatever.

It is a false statement. There is no way to sugarcoat it.

This is why another poster made mention of people who don't know the product spreading FUD.

This is FUD.
    The poster was clearly referring to Wi-Fi enabled TVs since he mentioned Miracast and DLNA. Also, effortlessly means without installing any apps or buying any equipment.
    01-23-14 02:54 AM
    The poster was clearly referring to Wi-Fi enabled TVs since he mentioned Miracast and DLNA. Also, effortlessly means without installing any apps or buying any equipment.
    No, that isn't what "effortlessly" means. Look it up.
    01-23-14 04:45 AM
    10.2 z30 factory standard.

Toasted via CB10 & Z30
    01-23-14 05:26 AM
    What if I don't own a wifi enabled tv? Which would I rather buy? A brand new tv with wifi or a $99 Apple tv.
    01-23-14 05:49 AM
    Pretty much all video devices for the past 3 years come with DLNA (Play on on BlackBerry). If you want wireless screen sharing you can get a Miracast converter for about $30 US. While my experience with Miracast is decidedly mixed, it does work.
    01-23-14 05:57 AM
    What if I don't own a wifi enabled tv? Which would I rather buy? A brand new tv with wifi or a $99 Apple tv.
    Then obviously DLNA or Miracast are not going to work, unless of course your TV is already connected to a DLNA enabled device like a PS3 or an XBOX. That being said, a Miracast/DLNA adapter is cheaper than an Apple TV.
    01-23-14 06:13 AM
    No, that isn't what "effortlessly" means. Look it up.
    It kind of does within the context of my post. Anything interesting to say about streaming to a Wi-Fi enabled TV from an iPhone?
    01-23-14 06:17 AM
    It kind of does within the context of my post. Anything interesting to say about streaming to a Wi-Fi enabled TV from an iPhone?
    Well, no. There is a cloud of illusion in these forums that, since Blackberry is lacking apps, it must be a problem to use apps. The whole point of mobile computing is to run software to do things.
    Donvald likes this.
    01-23-14 06:44 AM
    Well, no. There is a cloud of illusion in these forums that, since Blackberry is lacking apps, it must be a problem to use apps. The whole point of mobile computing is to run software to do things.
    I guess you spared him from having to change the definition of "interesting."
    01-23-14 07:11 AM
    Please explain, because the comment to which you refer seems accurate to me.
    It's like buying expired milk from the supermarket, and saying that it's the milk company's fault rather than the supermarkets fault for continuing to sell an old, out of date, 'expired', product.

The carriers refuse to sell/push fresh versions of the phone software that contain new features, and bug fixes.

Yes, you can say "well, it's BlackBerry's fault -- they should have released a phone that didn't have a single bug in the first place", but that would be ridiculous.

Every piece of software has bugs and missing features, and software vendors iteratively improve their offerings over time -- just as how BlackBerry has continued to fix bugs and add features in its new OS.

The problem is that the carriers are still selling "expired milk" and refuse to provide customers with the new software. Software, I might add, that is now available from carriers in EVERY COUNTRY ON PLANET EARTH EXCEPT THE UNITED STATES.

The controversy is to blame BlackBerry for the fact the American carriers continue to sell BlackBerry's 'expired' product and refuse to push the updates that all other carriers on Earth pushed out months ago.

CB10 : Z10 STL100-3 10.2.0.1803
    01-23-14 07:12 AM
    It's like buying expired milk from the supermarket, and saying that it's the milk company's fault rather than the supermarkets fault for continuing to sell an old, out of date, 'expired', product.

The carriers refuse to sell/push fresh versions of the phone software that contain new features, and bug fixes.

Yes, you can say "well, it's BlackBerry's fault -- they should have released a phone that didn't have a single bug in the first place", but that would be ridiculous.

Every piece of software has bugs and missing features, and software vendors iteratively improve their offerings over time -- just as how BlackBerry has continued to fix bugs and add features in its new OS.

The problem is that the carriers are still selling "expired milk" and refuse to provide customers with the new software. Software, I might add, that is now available from carriers in EVERY COUNTRY ON PLANET EARTH EXCEPT THE UNITED STATES.

The controversy is to blame BlackBerry for the fact the American carriers continue to sell BlackBerry's 'expired' product and refuse to push the updates that all other carriers on Earth pushed out months ago.

And what if you bought your phone from amazon or BlackBerry or second hand. Who's fault is it then?

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 07:25 AM

The carriers refuse to sell versions of the phone that contain new features, and bug fixes.

The problem is that the carriers are still selling "expired milk" and refuse to provide customers with the new software that is now available from carriers in EVERY COUNTRY ON PLANET EARTH EXCEPT THE UNITED STATES.

These so called fixes from BlackBerry that the carriers aren't selling is complete nonsense. BlackBerry is struggling everywhere, not just in the US. If sales of BB10 were going really well everywhere BUT the US then that argument might hold some water.

People aren't buying BB10 mainly because of the lack of apps available for it. Android apps are a band aid and not even a good one because a lot of the Android apps aren't fully functioning or just plain don't work.

These updates from BlackBerry also don't address the pitiful battery life of the Z10 which to me makes the phone almost unusable. I have a Z10 with the latest leak loaded in hopes that it would help the battery life. Even with it loaded it is still terrible and can't make it past 4-5 hours with moderate usage. I've tried different batteries and also had the phone exchanged but it hasn't changed. I would have a hard time recommending the phone to anyone based on that fact alone, let alone all of the apps they would be missing out on.
    01-23-14 07:26 AM
    These so called fixes from BlackBerry that the carriers aren't selling is complete nonsense. BlackBerry is struggling everywhere, not just in the US. If sales of BB10 were going really well everywhere BUT the US then that argument might hold some water.

People aren't buying BB10 mainly because of the lack of apps available for it. Android apps are a band aid and not even a good one because a lot of the Android apps aren't fully functioning or just plain don't work.

These updates from BlackBerry also don't address the pitiful battery life of the Z10 which to me makes the phone almost unusable. I have a Z10 with the latest leak loaded in hopes that it would help the battery life. Even with it loaded it is still terrible and can't make it past 4-5 hours with moderate usage. I've tried different batteries and also had the phone exchanged but it hasn't changed. I would have a hard time recommending the phone to anyone based on that fact alone, let alone all of the apps they would be missing out on.
    I'm not addressing BlackBerry sales, I'm addressing the claim that it's BlackBerry's fault that bb phones in the US are still missing certain features and have various bugs -- even though BlackBerry has already fixed many of these bugs and added support for many of these missing features.

It's the carrier's fault for not pushing the updates. BlackBerry is selling poorly all over the world, yet the United States is the ONLY country on Earth that refuses to push the updates.

BlackBerry held up its end of the bargain -- it listened to its users and added features they asked for and fixed many of the bugs they complained about.

If the American carriers don't push these fixes, then there is nothing more BlackBerry can do. The idea that it's BlackBerry fault for ever releasing software with any bugs or any missing features is ridiculous.

All software has bugs and missing features that get fixed/added over time. There is no "perfect" software.

01-23-14 07:40 AM
    And what if you bought your phone from amazon or BlackBerry or second hand. Who's fault is it then?

Posted via CB10
    If I bought an unlocked BlackBerry phone from either of these sources, I would be able to immediately update my phone to 10.2 when it arrived since my *non-American* carrier pushed the latest OS update months and months ago.

01-23-14 07:50 AM

No it isn't at all like that. The phone BB is distributing has 10.1. This, following your bad analogy would be like a dairy sending out expired milk and asking the grocery store to update it to fresh.

This is blackberry's problem. Verizon et al aren't the ones it matters to. It matters to Blackberry.
    01-23-14 07:52 AM
    No it isn't at all like that. The phone BB is distributing has 10.1. This, following your bad analogy would be like a dairy sending out expired milk and asking the grocery store to update it to fresh.

This is blackberry's problem. Verizon et al aren't the ones it matters to. It matters to Blackberry.
    BlackBerry made 10.2 available to all American carriers months and months ago. The American carriers are currently sitting on the OS update while every other carrier in every other country on planet Earth has found no problem in pushing the update already.

Blaming BlackBerry makes no logical sense whatsoever.

BlackBerry is to blame for many errors they have made, but this ISN'T one of them. They have updated their OS, and they sent the updates to the American carriers at the same time all other carriers on Earth got them.

It's all in the American carrier's hands now.

BlackBerry cannot force the American carriers to push the update. They can only make the update available to them -- and that is EXACTLY what they did.

01-23-14 07:55 AM
    BlackBerry made 10.2 available to all American carriers months and months ago. The American carriers are currently sitting on the OS update while every other carrier in every other country on planet Earth has found no problem in pushing the update already.

Blaming BlackBerry makes no logical sense whatsoever.

BlackBerry is to blame for many errors they have made, but this ISN'T one of them. They have updated their OS, and they sent the updates to the American carriers at the same time all other carriers on Earth got them.

It's all in the American carrier's hands now.

BlackBerry cannot force the American carriers to push the update. They can only make the update available to them -- and that is EXACTLY what they did.

This is a known issue with US carriers. BB did not, inexplicably, take this into account. The bottom line is let's take VZW as an example; I think they made more profits last quarter than the total value of BB. If The latest version of BB phones aren't out there who does it hurt more, VZW or BB? This is mission critical for BB, it doesn't matter at all for VZW. BB gets it done or it hurts them, maybe badly. All the rest is excuses that no one outside this forum cares about.
    01-23-14 08:11 AM
    This is a known issue with US carriers. BB did not, inexplicably, take this into account. The bottom line is let's take VZW as an example; I think they made more profits last quarter than the total value of BB. If The latest version of BB phones aren't out there who does it hurt more, VZW or BB? This is mission critical for BB, it doesn't matter at all for VZW. BB gets it done or it hurts them, maybe badly. All the rest is excuses that no one outside this forum cares about.
    It's only "BlackBerry's fault" if there is a method available to them to push updates DESPITE the American carrier's refusal to push them.

IF BlackBerry could have pushed the update out on their own to US customers and -- for some reason -- they weren't doing so, then YES: in THAT CASE, it would be "BlackBerry's fault".

Unfortunately, there is NO WAY for BlackBerry to circumvent the carriers to get their updates out.

They are at the mercy of the American carriers. There is NOTHING they can do.

01-23-14 08:18 AM
    It's only "BlackBerry's fault" if there is a method available to them to push updates DESPITE the American carrier's refusal to push them.

IF BlackBerry could have pushed the update out on their own to US customers and -- for some reason -- they weren't doing so, then YES: in THAT CASE, it would be "BlackBerry's fault".

Unfortunately, there is NO WAY for BlackBerry to circumvent the carriers to get their updates out.

They are at the mercy of the American carriers. There is NOTHING they can do.

It doesn't matter. If it is important to a company they get it done. They put themselves in this situation.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    01-23-14 08:34 AM
    It doesn't matter. If it is important to a company they get it done. They put themselves in this situation.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Yeah, and I want to date Jennifer Lawrence... unfortunately, some things are easier said than done in reality.

Just saying "get 'er done" grossly oversimplifies the reality and difficulty of getting a major carrier to reverse it's policies for you.

01-23-14 08:41 AM
    So in your little world it is easier to find an app, install it and then set it up so it works with some box than to just tap "play on" from the video player and select the TV from a list?
    Last edited by TheoRadu; 01-23-14 at 09:45 AM.
    01-23-14 09:25 AM
    So in your little world it is easier to find an app, install it and then set it up so it works with some box than to just tap "play on" from the video player and select the TV from a list?
    It's awfully hypocritical of you to call someone else's world "little," and I don't think it was ever claimed that the app method was easier, at least not by the person you quoted.
    Last edited by Wiki Cydia; 01-23-14 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Typos
    Donvald likes this.
    01-23-14 09:55 AM
415 ... 14151617