capacitive screen is not respond with clothes, or any hard objects, its respond by skin (correct me if im mistaken) so there are little chances you accidentaly open camera apps while phone in your pocket
    They usually work through one or two layers of fabric.
    01-20-14 06:26 PM
    capacitive screen is not respond with clothes, or any hard objects, its respond by skin (correct me if im mistaken) so there are little chances you accidentaly open camera apps while phone in your pocket
    Maybe the screen responsiveness is different between iPhone and BlackBerry but it was argued earlier, and I've heard it before but never experienced it myself, that the Z10 unlocks in peoples pockets. I assume this is due to the fact that the pocket material is thin enough and the contact with ones leg is enough to register as a swipe or touch.
    01-20-14 06:26 PM
    It works through thin layers. I had to turn off swiping to unlock the screen on my Z10 because it was always turning on and going into emergency mode or somewhere random. I have had iPhones and Android devices that aren't password protected unlock as well.
    01-20-14 06:29 PM
    It is quicker, I'm not saying it is not. But just to use your example, why would anyone want to turn the Wi-Fi connection on if they are not going to use the phone after? Do you turn it on and then put it back in your pocket? Why? I just want to understand...

On the wireless printing side I just wanted to point out that it doesn't work with any printer like you said.

Regarding the camera shortcut, I do agree a swipe is faster than pressing and holding for 3 seconds. My only concern is accidental pics.
    What model printer do you have?
    01-20-14 06:30 PM
    Some screens are high sensitive. Can put a sweater over your hand and operate an S4 or 920 with the high sensitivity enabled for the screen. It differs. But if you take accidental picks with the iPhone camera unlock swipe it's cause you were trying, hard - very hard, to do so.

NB4 someone says they took a hundred pics doing that ;-)

Every major platform has swipe to u lock yet somehow only here is it an issue and people are afraid of u locking a phone in their pocket :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    01-20-14 06:31 PM
    It is quicker, I'm not saying it is not. But just to use your example, why would anyone want to turn the Wi-Fi connection on if they are not going to use the phone after? Do you turn it on and then put it back in your pocket? Why? I just want to understand...

On the wireless printing side I just wanted to point out that it doesn't work with any printer like you said.

Regarding the camera shortcut, I do agree a swipe is faster than pressing and holding for 3 seconds. My only concern is accidental pics.
    some people turn off their wifi to safe battery while leaving home or wifi spot to safe battery, it is much quicker to do in lockscreen, and some people just turn on wifi and keep the phone in their pocket without using it so their phone can get email / BBM / whatsapp text
    01-20-14 06:33 PM

It's explained above by another poster.

What model printer do you have?

You don't get accidental pics because unlike BlackBerry, Apple's doesn't register in your pocket. The Z10 and Z30 both unlock and get pressed in your pocket while the iPhone doesn't.
    01-20-14 06:38 PM
    So leaving WiFi on doesn't use battery while trying to search for a signal that isn't there. So the device isn't always trying to auto detect other networks when not connected to another. So your device doesn't ask you to "join network" (if you have that turned on) while walking around a city where WiFi connections are everywhere.

There are many reasons.
    01-20-14 06:40 PM
    It works through thin layers. I had to turn off swiping to unlock the screen on my Z10 because it was always turning on and going into emergency mode or somewhere random. I have had iPhones and Android devices that aren't password protected unlock as well.
    yeah it works in thin layers but to accidentaly take a picture its very hard to do...there are 3 steps for your phone to take a pic :

1. accidentaly press home/power button (frequently happen)

2. accidentaly open camera apps it is hard to do because you have to swipe it with your leg (if you put it on your side pocket) and there is only limited time 3-5seconds before screen and touch turn off

3. you have to accidentaly press the take a picture button
    01-20-14 06:47 PM
    yeah it works in thin layers but to accidentaly take a picture its very hard to do...there are 3 steps for your phone to take a pic :

1. accidentaly press home/power button (frequently happen)

2. accidentaly open camera apps it is hard to do because you have to swipe it with your leg (if you put it on your side pocket) and there is only limited time 3-5seconds before screen and touch turn off

3. you have to accidentaly press the take a picture button
    Yes, you have to hit the exact touch points to take a picture. I'm just pointing out that it actually can be used through clothing. It just cannot be too thick.
    01-20-14 06:54 PM
    Yes, you have to hit the exact touch points to take a picture. I'm just pointing out that it actually can be used through clothing. It just cannot be too thick.
    yup, trying to quote theo but mistakenly quote you...and i just trying to explain it further
    Last edited by garnok; 01-20-14 at 07:11 PM.
    01-20-14 06:58 PM
    new to this forum and i am somewhat surprised at threads here.
    Why do you compare a Z10 to a a iPhone
    Z10 now at �150 compared to iPhone at �500 plus.
    game apps addiction is strange, by a iPhone for �500 to play a game . If you want to play games buy a console, 1000 x better and movies ?, who can seriously think a phone is a great idea for movies and who on earth thinks a phone is meant to be a proper camera.
    a �500 iPhone cannot compete with a �100 camera.
    If you want a toy, buy proper toys. A phone is for communication. Today that has to be voice and email and text. I wonder what type of lives people live who spend all there time on twitter and face book ( same people who watch big brother i suppose) get a life.
    just buy a phone for what you really want. I bought the Z10 and once I got used to it I can say its a great business phone and of course it can be improved just like all other phones have short comings in some areas. Major benifts of not being controlled by apples ways is great such as being able to assess SD card to use a a USB devce to transport files, changeable battery etc. I updated to latest software and a lot of new functions including easy install of android apps, why not do a comparison with latest software ( has multiple alarms by the way) and take into account value for money.
    With the �350 plus saving could by a very good tablet and have the best of both worlds
    01-20-14 07:00 PM
    yup, trying to quote theo but mistakenly quoted you...
    It's all good, it happens.
    01-20-14 07:01 PM
    game apps addiction is strange, by a iPhone for �500 to play a game . If you want to play games buy a console, 1000 x better and movies ?, who can seriously think a phone is a great idea for movies and who on earth thinks a phone is meant to be a proper camera.
    If you want a toy, buy proper toys. A phone is for communication. Today that has to be voice and email and text. I wonder what type of lives people live who spend all there time on twitter and face book ( same people who watch big brother i suppose) get a life.
    just buy a phone for what you really want. I bought the Z10 and once I got used to it I can say its a great business phone and of course it can be improved just like all other phones have short comings in some areas. Major benifts of not being controlled by apples ways is great such as being able to assess SD card to use a a USB devce to transport files, changeable battery etc. I updated to latest software and a lot of new functions including easy install of android apps, why not do a comparison with latest software ( has multiple alarms by the way) and take into account value for money.
    With the �350 plus saving could by a very good tablet and have the best of both worlds
    yup smartphone can never match console games, Pocket camera, TV and Bluray...but can you bring all of them every time?

phone can never replace console games but it is nice to have when you have a free time, waiting someone, or when you traveling

pocket camera not always with you but sometimes there are memorable thing you want to take a picture or record a video

same thing sometimes you have free time, having movies in your phone can help you in a free time or boredom or when you traveling

let me add other thing :

PC / notebook are better because you can do better work related function but you can not bring it everytime

everything you mention android, and WP8 also have the samething and you can purcahase it with less money, and you can get easier apps on android phone without need to sideload
    Last edited by garnok; 01-20-14 at 07:21 PM.
    01-20-14 07:10 PM
    Please don't start the tools vs toys nonsense.
    01-20-14 07:51 PM
    The video was done because he's a BlackBerry fan. How many videos have been done for other platforms by fans?
    iPhone Fan Videos 926,000 results
    You'll find something in that link.

Now, does the glove fit?

At least this guy is entertaining.
    No. He's annoying.
    01-20-14 08:12 PM

Or not. My phone is for mobile computing. And he was apparently comparing an iPhone 4 to a Z10.
    01-20-14 08:23 PM
    Please don't start the tools vs toys nonsense.
    It had started earlier in this very thread.
    01-20-14 08:24 PM
    game apps addiction is strange, by a iPhone for �500 to play a game . If you want to play games buy a console,
    Nintendo Calls Apple The 'Enemy Of The Future'
    You're not up to date on your news facts. That is what's strange.
    snip..who can seriously think a phone is a great idea for movies and who on earth thinks a phone is meant to be a proper camera.
    Why the iPhone is the Most Popular Camera in the World (And What Camera Manufacturers Should Learn From it)
    This is to help you get up to date.
    You got it backwards, a �100 camera cannot compete with �500. Do �100 camera's make phone calls, play games, stream video?
    You would have made an excellent Executive at the old Blackberry. They once thought like you.

The rest of your post is just subjective.
    01-20-14 08:33 PM
    Glad you glossed over my points.

Isn't it more efficient and faster doing it from the lockscreen instead of unlocking the phone and then doing it? Why wouldn't you want to turn it off from the lockscreen, instead of unlocking the phone first? I'm confused as to why you wouldn't want that if we are talking about efficiency.

Every printer I've owned has worked natively with air print. Most of the come with that by default now.

Isn't the button being pressed easier than a swipe up? I've had to turn off swipe to unlock because my Z30 unlocks itself in my pocket, as noted by the editors here on crackberry as well.

Text selection, no comment? Because it isn't even a contest.
    Because I don't want anyone to be able to mess with my phone? When it's locked I want minimal access to "urgent" features. Changing settings should not be permitted when the device is locked.

Have you tried text selection on the leak? 10.2.1? Not so cut and dried anymore.

Learn to put your phone away with your fingers on the back of the phone. No accidental wake up. Keeps the screen nicer too. And no. The button isn't easier.

Lots of printers don't have air print. Lookin at one right now. None of the printers in my office have it either. Go figure.

Posted via CB10
    07thking likes this.
    01-20-14 08:54 PM
    Because I don't want anyone to be able to mess with my phone? When it's locked I want minimal access to "urgent" features. Changing settings should not be permitted when the device is locked.

Have you tried text selection on the leak? 10.2.1? Not so cut and dried anymore.

Learn to put your phone away with your fingers on the back of the phone. No accidental wake up. Keeps the screen nicer too. And no. The button isn't easier.

Lots of printers don't have air print. Lookin at one right now. None of the printers in my office have it either. Go figure.

Posted via CB10
    1. That's funny because my Z30 unlocks itself in my pocket when I have it set to swipe to unlock, which is a common problem with both the Z10 and the Z30 and noted several times in the forums. And yes, the button is easier since I'll just disagree with you. The iPhone doesn't allow it to be accessed with the screen locked. Either way I have the option because I can turn it off it I want. BlackBerry doesn't give you the option but I guess they know best since apparently BB10 is the god of all OS's.

2. I'm running the latest leak and yes its cut and dry. BB10 isn't even in the same ballpark as ios for text selection.

3. I didn't say that every printer ever made has air print. I said most new printers have air print. BlackBerry can't even do it without an app, when it's native in iOS. So what is your point here?
    01-20-14 09:02 PM
    Whoa... on ios7 you can turn on airplane mode with the phone locked.

So someone can shut off your communication without you knowing... awesome.

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell and 07thking like this.
    01-20-14 09:29 PM
    Ummm, use a password?
    The phone won't unlock with a swipe. It'll wake up, to the lock screen.

Yeah, we disagree. I hate that freaking button.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 09:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    Again I have the option to not use it if I don't want to. And that's besides the point. The whole video is about speed and efficiency. If I want to access those settings it's quicker and more efficient through ios.

And that's great if it will wake up to the lockscreen with a password so it can continually drain the battery while it's in my pocket.

And you hate a button that has the same function but is faster to open on ios. OK.
    01-20-14 09:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    If you are communicating with a locked phone, isn't it within your sight? Your point is really confusing. In any case, I would imagine such use cases are quite limited. OTOH, the ability to quickly flick to airplane mode in one step when needed was among the most requested (BT, wireless, too, as Android had shown how useful such was).
    01-20-14 09:46 PM
415 ... 910111213 ...