I'd like to see some demos on:

Opening the camera app from the lockscreen

Switching from camera to video on both devices

Quickness in moving forward and back on Web pages.

Quickness and accuracy of text selection.

Accessing favorite contacts on both devices.

Boot up times

Quickness in printing a photo or document from the phone.

Speed in apps opening. Like say Google Maps

Speed in shutting off bluetooth, wifi from the lockscreen.

Want to see these results because ios is faster on every one of them.

Make it happen OP.
    I'll do each one. Give me time tho!

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 04:32 PM
    no its just a simple slide up.

BlackBerry vs iPhone Challenge 2-screen-shot-2014-01-20-3.33.08-pm.png
    01-20-14 04:33 PM
    1. Is faster on the iPhone. It's a slide to the left.

2. The browser is gesture based on ios and it's faster doing it than BB10.

3. Text selection and accuracy is waaay faster and miles more accurate on ios.

4. Accessing favorites is faster on ios. It's one click to the phone app, not two or three in BB10.

5. IOS doesn't need an app for printing wirelessly, it's built in.

6. Why choose a Native app, I thought the app gap was closed and that it was a better Android than Android. Any way you can still choose a native app if you want, ios opens them faster.

7. I'm talking turning them off from the lock screen. You can do it in ios, can't do it in BB10. Therefore it's must faster in ios.

And boot times are relevant and BB10 is slow as molasses booting up.

We're taking speed here aren't we? Not time it takes to open an app. Those things I listed are way faster on ios end of story.
    Judging by what you said on point 7 you have never used BlackBerry 10 for more than 5 minutes.

I'm going to answer anyway:

1. OK, it's faster, but also easier to do it accidentally.

2. Going back is just as fast, but yes, there's no visible forward button on the BlackBerry 10 browser so the action requires 2 taps.

3. Again, I find text selection to work very well in 10.2. We can't pick a winner here without a video.

4. Is the favourites tab the default view? In that case, yes, iOS is slightly faster.

5. So can iOS connect to any wireless printer? How do you set it up?

6. Any native app opens in 1-2 seconds on the Z30. Some, like Contacts or Phone open instantly because they are always running in the background.

7. As I said, I don't think you used BlackBerry 10 for more than 5 minutes. You would know that this is possible from the quick settings menu.

And finally, booting times are not relevant at all. Only features you use daily or at least 2-3 times a week are. And again, BlackBerry 10 has more features and more drivers than iOS, which is why it takes longer to boot up.
    Balti43 likes this.
    01-20-14 04:36 PM
    Opening the camera on the iPhone is instant, not waiting a few seconds like on BB10.

1. Is faster on the iPhone. It's a slide to the left.

2. The browser is gesture based on ios and it's faster doing it than BB10.

3. Text selection and accuracy is waaay faster and miles more accurate on ios.

4. Accessing favorites is faster on ios. It's one click to the phone app, not two or three in BB10.

5. IOS doesn't need an app for printing wirelessly, it's built in.

6. Why choose a Native app, I thought the app gap was closed and that it was a better Android than Android. Any way you can still choose a native app if you want, ios opens them faster.

7. I'm talking turning them off from the lock screen. You can do it in ios, can't do it in BB10. Therefore it's must faster in ios.

And boot times are relevant and BB10 is slow as molasses booting up.

We're taking speed here aren't we? Not time it takes to open an app. Those things I listed are way faster on ios end of story.
    1. Wrong
    2. Wrong
    3. Soooooooo wrong.
    4. Wrong
    5. OK, we have the same thing.
    6. From lockscreen, without password and without the app being in a folder. BlackBerry wins.
    7. Dunno what you talking about.
    8. OK fine. IPhone wins in that! Lol

And FYI... the video is called "challenge" meaning the speed and how efficiently you can operate your phone. If it's was a race.... i would have called it "BlackBerry vs Iphone Race".........

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    01-20-14 04:42 PM
    Judging by what you said on point 7 you have never used BlackBerry 10 for more than 5 minutes.

I'm going to answer anyway:

1. OK, it's faster, but also easier to do it accidentally.

2. Going back is just as fast, but yes, there's no visible forward button on the BlackBerry 10 browser so the action requires 2 taps.

3. Again, I find text selection to work very well in 10.2. We can't pick a winner here without a video.

4. Is the favourites tab the default view? In that case, yes, iOS is slightly faster.

5. So can iOS connect to any wireless printer? How do you set it up?

6. Any native app opens in 1-2 seconds on the Z30. Some, like Contacts or Phone open instantly because they are always running in the background.

7. As I said, I don't think you used BlackBerry 10 for more than 5 minutes. You would know that this is possible from the quick settings menu.

And finally, booting times are not relevant at all. Only features you use daily or at least 2-3 times a week are. And again, BlackBerry 10 has more features and more drivers than iOS, which is why it takes longer to boot up.
    To your point 7, can you access the quick setting from the lockscreen? Nope you can't. Have you used BB10?

To your printer question. IOS finds your wireless printer automatically.

To your camera point. It's impossible to open it accidentally from the lockscreen. Why make excuses, we are talking speed?

You have to be kidding with text selection.

Bring more excuses please.
    01-20-14 04:44 PM
    I'll do each one. Give me time tho!

Posted via CB10

That's great. Apple and Google have lots of money. So does Microsoft come to think of it. I doubt Apple and Google think BB is much competition but maybe Microsoft will pay you to do more and even put them on TV for you!
    01-20-14 04:46 PM
    1. Wrong
    2. Wrong
    3. Soooooooo wrong.
    4. Wrong
    5. OK, we have the same thing.
    6. From lockscreen, without password and without the app being in a folder. BlackBerry wins.
    7. Dunno what you talking about.
    8. OK fine. IPhone wins in that! Lol

And FYI... the video is called "challenge" meaning the speed and how efficiently you can operate your phone. If it's was a race.... i would have called it "BlackBerry vs Iphone Race".........

Posted via CB10
    Great, please make sure you use an iPhone 5 or 5S. The 4S is a 2 year old model and shouldn't be considered.
    01-20-14 04:54 PM
    To your point 7, can you access the quick setting from the lockscreen? Nope you can't. Have you used BB10?

To your printer question. IOS finds your wireless printer automatically.

To your camera point. It's impossible to open it accidentally from the lockscreen. Why make excuses, we are talking speed?

You have to be kidding with text selection.

Bring more excuses please.
    Regarding printing, I though it only works with AirPrint enabled printers. Am I wrong?

Sorry, I thought you said home screen. You can't from the lock screen, but why would you?

It's a swipe up, it can happen by accident.
    01-20-14 04:55 PM
    Great, please make sure you use an iPhone 5 or 5S. The 4S is a 2 year old model and shouldn't be considered.
    And a Z30, right?
    01-20-14 04:55 PM
    It wasn't hard to see where the title of this thread was going to lead. A "saab" story with a side of fries.
    Chillberry
    01-20-14 04:58 PM
    Is the OS not the same? The actions and how it gets done is the same regardless of the model no?
    SDTRMG likes this.
    01-20-14 04:58 PM
    It wasn't hard to see where the title of this thread was going to lead. A "saab" story with a side of fries.
    Chillberry
    Hahahaha
    01-20-14 04:59 PM
    Regarding printing, I though it only works with AirPrint enabled printers. Am I wrong?

Sorry, I thought you said home screen. You can't from the lock screen, but why would you?

It's a swipe up, it can happen by accident.
    Glad you glossed over my points.

Isn't it more efficient and faster doing it from the lockscreen instead of unlocking the phone and then doing it? Why wouldn't you want to turn it off from the lockscreen, instead of unlocking the phone first? I'm confused as to why you wouldn't want that if we are talking about efficiency.

Every printer I've owned has worked natively with air print. Most of the come with that by default now.

Isn't the button being pressed easier than a swipe up? I've had to turn off swipe to unlock because my Z30 unlocks itself in my pocket, as noted by the editors here on crackberry as well.

Text selection, no comment? Because it isn't even a contest.
    avt123 likes this.
    01-20-14 05:06 PM
    Is the OS not the same? The actions and how it gets done is the same regardless of the model no?
    Doesn't a phone run an OS more efficient if it has better internals? Then I guess the Z30 And Z10 run the same. Why do we even bother updating internals of phones then? If you slapped BB10 on a 9900 would it run the same as it does on a Z10 or Z30?
    avt123 likes this.
    01-20-14 05:09 PM
    And a Z30, right?
    By all means.
    01-20-14 05:12 PM
    Doesn't a phone run an OS more efficient if it has better internals? Then I guess the Z30 And Z10 run the same. Why do we even bother updating internals of phones then? If you slapped BB10 on a 9900 would it run the same as it does on a Z10 or Z30?
    I didn't say that. I just said the process to accomplish what you want is the same.
    01-20-14 05:22 PM
    Glad you glossed over my points.

Isn't it more efficient and faster doing it from the lockscreen instead of unlocking the phone and then doing it? Why wouldn't you want to turn it off from the lockscreen, instead of unlocking the phone first? I'm confused as to why you wouldn't want that if we are talking about efficiency.

Every printer I've owned has worked natively with air print. Most of the come with that by default now.

Isn't the button being pressed easier than a swipe up? I've had to turn off swipe to unlock because my Z30 unlocks itself in my pocket, as noted by the editors here on crackberry as well.

Text selection, no comment? Because it isn't even a contest.
    I just don't understand why you would want to turn them on or off if the phone is locked. What's the benefit? And how often do you really have to do this in a week for example?

My new all in one printer from Canon doesn't have AirPlay.

With BlackBerry 10 you don't just press a button, you have to keep it pressed for 3 seconds.

I can continue to say the same thing over and over again about how text selection has been greatly improved, but what's the point without actually seeing this for yourself?
    01-20-14 05:24 PM
    I just don't understand why you would want to turn them on or off if the phone is locked. What's the benefit? And how often do you really have to do this in a week for example?

My new all in one printer from Canon doesn't have AirPlay.

With BlackBerry 10 you don't just press a button, you have to keep it pressed for 3 seconds.

I can continue to say the same thing over and over again about how text selection has been greatly improved, but what's the point without actually seeing this for yourself?
    So if I pull my phone out and want to turn on wifi is it not quicker and more efficient to do it immediately from the lockscreen? The rules seem to change on what you seem to think an OS should and shouldn't do. If it was accessible from the lockscreen on BB10 and not ios you'd be lauding it as as a more efficient feature.

I won't debate with you on your printer. Of course you doesn't come with airplay, anything to discount my point. Most of them do, none come capable of printing with BlackBerry natively.

Right, you press a button and wait 3 seconds. Which method is faster and more efficient. Why do the rules change around what you deem is better?

I know text selection has been improved. I own a Z10 and a Z30. It's still no where near as fast or accurate as ios, and is still pretty bad even with the update.
    avt123 likes this.
    01-20-14 05:56 PM
    Quick question, if so many actions are done via the lock screen, what's the point in even having a locked screen? I understand the long press on the camera for BB10 as it negates any accidental activation. If it was a quick press to launch, I'd probably have a ton of pocket pics. It was stated that the camera on iPhone is a swipe to activate.... isn't the swipe to unlock?

For the record, I don't have an iPhone so am just trying to understand some of these points.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 06:02 PM
    The issue isn't if the OS is the same (it isn't exactly the same).

The issue is the OP using a 4S to compare to a Z10 (IIRC). Z10 is an iPhone 5, Galaxy S III, HTC One X, LG Optimus G, Lumia 920-class device. 4S is a generation earlier (i.e. Galaxy S2/Skyrocket, HTC Vivid, LG Nitro HD, Lumia 900.

There are differences in the hardware that affect the speed of the device. The camera isn't as good as the iPhone 5, and the iPhone 5's camera is faster. The SoC, GPU, RAM, and likely even the storage is slower. The screen likely has been improved moving onto the 5 as well, in more than just size. I wouldn't be surprised of some things people don't typically think of, like the microphones in the device (which has a direct impact on speech recognition performance) has been improved as well.

Beyond that, there are features that weren't backported to the 4S.

The devices used in this "performance" comparison make little to no sense.

I wouldn't pit a 5S against a Z10. I'd keep it even and use a 5 or 5C. But I doubt using a Z30 vs. a 5S would change anything, and I'm not sure why people are still doing these comparisons since if they mattered Apple would already have lost all of their customers to Android, yet they are selling record numbers of iPhones even now while BB isn't even competitive with Windows Phone (even more limited than iOS).

Different companies design in different ways for different reasons. Microsoft designed Windows Phone to intentionally put enterprise on the backburner and look where it's got them compared to Blackberry who designed intentionally to put consumers on the backburner and cater to enterprise customers... Apple is somewhat in the middle of Windows Phone and Android, bolstered by their ecosystem and competitive advantages over most other companies (having their own Desktop OS and Tablet/PMP form factors to tie into that ecosystem, something which will likely help Microsoft compete better in the future).
    01-20-14 06:06 PM
    Quick question, if so many actions are done via the lock screen, what's the point in even having a locked screen? I understand the long press on the camera for BB10 as it negates any accidental activation. If it was a quick press to launch, I'd probably have a ton of pocket pics. It was stated that the camera on iPhone is a swipe to activate.... isn't the swipe to unlock?

For the record, I don't have an iPhone so am just trying to understand some of these points.

Posted via CB10
    You can disable it if you want to. I for one like it because it makes switching things like bluetooth or wifi off very quickly and also accessing the flashlight quickly without having to unlock the screen. It also enables you to set a timer or alarm or access the calculator without having to unlock the phone. It's just a quicker way of doing it and it doesn't access these things while in your pocket.

And for the record I think BB10 is fantastic for business use. For the average consumer, it doesn't stand a chance against ios or Android.
    01-20-14 06:09 PM

I wouldn't pit a 5S against a Z10. I'd keep it even and use a 5 or 5C. But I doubt using a Z30 vs. a 5S would change anything, and I'm not sure why people are still doing these comparisons since if they mattered Apple would already have lost all of their customers to Android, yet they are selling record numbers of iPhones even now while BB isn't even competitive with Windows Phone.
    The video was done because he's a BlackBerry fan. How many videos have been done for other platforms by fans? At least this guy is entertaining. You ask why people do these, I ask, why does it matter?

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 06:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    capacitive screen is not respond with clothes, or any hard objects, its respond by skin (correct me if im mistaken) so there are little chances you accidentaly open camera apps while phone in your pocket
    01-20-14 06:20 PM
    So if I pull my phone out and want to turn on wifi is it not quicker and more efficient to do it immediately from the lockscreen? The rules seem to change on what you seem to think an OS should and shouldn't do. If it was accessible from the lockscreen on BB10 and not ios you'd be lauding it as as a more efficient feature.

I won't debate with you on your printer. Of course you doesn't come with airplay, anything to discount my point. Most of them do, none come capable of printing with BlackBerry natively.

Right, you press a button and wait 3 seconds. Which method is faster and more efficient. Why do the rules change around what you deem is better?

I know text selection has been improved. I own a Z10 and a Z30. It's still no where near as fast or accurate as ios, and is still pretty bad even with the update.
    It is quicker, I'm not saying it is not. But just to use your example, why would anyone want to turn the Wi-Fi connection on if they are not going to use the phone after? Do you turn it on and then put it back in your pocket? Why? I just want to understand...

On the wireless printing side I just wanted to point out that it doesn't work with any printer like you said.

Regarding the camera shortcut, I do agree a swipe is faster than pressing and holding for 3 seconds. My only concern is accidental pics.
    01-20-14 06:24 PM
    The video was done because he's a BlackBerry fan. How many videos have been done for other platforms by fans? At least this guy is entertaining. You ask why people do these, I ask, why does it matter?

Posted via CB10
    Because this thread is only 10 pages long...........so far
    Do I hear 20?
    01-20-14 06:24 PM
415 ... 89101112 ...