The competition between the iPhone and the BlackBerry in the corporate smartphone space is starting to heat up, and it's hard to find a tech news site that doesn't have some sort of iPhone vs. BlackBerry story today. The iPhone software development kit is expected tomorrow, which will open up the iPhone OS so external developers can build their own applications--business-specific or otherwise--making the device even more valuable to both business users and consumers.

There's also been speculation that Apple will announce some sort of Microsoft Exchange or Lotus Notes support, which will make the iPhone more attractive to businesses, as well.

However, one of the most telling signs that the iPhone has real potential as a business device is the fact that some iPhone business users seem to be more satisfied with their devices than BlackBerry users.

Do any of you BlackBerry users also have an iPhone? Is your BlackBerry for work and iPhone for play? Would or could you see using your iPhone as both a personal and work phone? Why or why not?

Thanks.

AZA
    03-05-08 09:17 AM
    iphone with 0 (zero) security in the enterprise? Seriously doubt it.
    I always thought that business is not about pretty icons and (also insecure) browser.
    not to mention that survey within ChangeWave Alliance is not really significant:
    Changewave represents "9,000 highly qualified business" and they "queried 2,013 members of its ChangeWave Alliance"

which is 4-5 users per business.
    03-05-08 12:46 PM
    I work for a telecommunications company and I am seeing more and more iphones hanging around this place buttt there is always a trusty blackberry right next to it. I think a lot of people here are buying iphones for play and keeping their bberrys for work. just my observation from my office.
    03-05-08 12:55 PM
    I work for a telecommunications company and I am seeing more and more iphones hanging around this place buttt there is always a trusty blackberry right next to it. I think a lot of people here are buying iphones for play and keeping their bberrys for work. just my observation from my office.

Thanks, Heather.

I'm seeing lots of folks around the office using both iPhones and BlackBerrys, too. And I know a number of people who simply forward corporate Lotus Notes or Exchange e-mail to Gmail accounts and access it via their iPhones. I can't help but wonder how long it will take for Apple to capitalize on the potential in the business space--which, I'm very aware, is much smaller than the consumer market--and step up security and sync functionality, etc.

I just wonder how many of those people with both BlackBerrys and iPhones would turn over their Berrys if their iPhones were supported by their companies.

Right now, BlackBerry is king, and rightfully so, but how long can RIM holds its crown??
    03-05-08 01:02 PM
    The internet browser on the iPhone is sick and can't be denied.

I believe this is one of the most compelling reasons for owning the iPhone.
    03-05-08 01:05 PM
    The internet browser on the iPhone is sick and can't be denied.

I believe this is one of the most compelling reasons for owning the iPhone.
    Agreed, the Safari browser on the iPhone is impressive, but for me it's really the iPhone's user interface that draws my attention. I LOVE my BlackBerry, and I don't have any plans to switch to an iPhone any time soon. But you have to give credit where credit is due. Apple done good when it comes to the UI...

AZA
    03-05-08 01:09 PM
    If it weren't for losing the corporate discount and lack of MMS, I might consider getting the iPhone.
    03-05-08 01:09 PM
    This is not only huge problem with enterprise security (easy to fix: IPhone has no access to the enterprise network)

iPHONE is using WEP which takes 10 min to crack. So browser is highly insecure. Even for ordinary users this is a limitations. Exactly the same as on desktop browser. Without proper security it is not even worth consideration.
    03-05-08 01:21 PM
    This might just be my opinion, but I found the touch keyboard on the iPhone to be cumbersome. That would be an impediment to typing a substantial email, which most us have to do at some time or another while away from the desktop. For that reason, I much prefer actual qwerty keys.

As said above, the internet experience on an iPhone is unsurpassed, which is why I would say it's more of a great personal phone than a corporate one. But I will say that getting Opera Mini has made surfing on a Blackberry much, much, much more enjoyable.
    Last edited by RedBerry8830; 03-05-08 at 01:55 PM.
    03-05-08 01:51 PM
    This might just be my opinion, but I found the touch keyboard on the iPhone to be cumbersome. That would be an impediment to typing a substantial email, which most us have to do at some time or another while away from the desktop. For that reason, I much prefer actual qwerty keys.

As said above, the internet experience on an iPhone is unsurpassed, which is why I would say it's more of a great personal phone than a corporate one. But I will say that getting Opera Mini has made surfing on a Blackberry much, much, much more enjoyable.
    Yeah, I agree typing on the iPhone isn't as easy as it is on a BlackBerry because touch screen devices lack the tactical feedback that physical keyboards provide. In other words, you can't feel where one key ends and the other one starts. That means you have to keep staring at the screen more closely than you would your physical keyboard. At least that's my experience. It's not just the iPhone either. I've used Treos and various PDAs, and it's the same way.

Opera Mini is much better than the BlackBerry browser, but the recent RIM browser upgrades greatly improved the company's standard browser. I used to never use the BB browser but now I find myself using it more and more.

AZA
    03-05-08 02:04 PM
    I odn't have an iPhone, but a friend of mine has the exact same complaint, she says the touch keyboard is not nearly as efficient. I've never had the desire to buy an iPhone and after playing around with hers, I wasn't impressed with it, except for the Internet. She said she actually preferred her old BlackBerry but after she spent so much money, she's sticking with the iPhone.
    03-05-08 02:08 PM
    I actually own both...started with the iphone then onto the BB and I must say the only good thing about the iphone is its media features, ither than that the BB surpasses it in every single way

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-08 02:15 PM
    I work with one person who has an iPhone and there are definitely benefits each have. It is definitely easier to type on my 8830 than it is on his iPhone. Navigating images and web pages definitely seems slicker on his iPhone. In our area, his phone drops calls as often as the wind changes direction. I haven't had a call drop yet.

He does more image and web browsing, so the iPhone is a good colution for him. I do a lot of e-mailing, so the keyboard on my BB fits my needs. It's all in how you use the device and what feels comfortabe to you.
    03-05-08 02:21 PM
    This is truly an interesting conversation.

Now I've only owned my Berry for about 45 days, but have truly developed a relationship with it. I've "played" with an Iphone plenty of times, but have never owned.

To me.....you can't argue with the beautiful browser experience with the Iphone. But when it comes to customization, e-mailing, and ease of use/navigation I have to give it to the Berry.

I will admit that I was intrigued by the Iphone's touch screen at first use/glance. But when you need to send a quick text, e-mail or enter a username,etc., there is nothing like a keyboard/suretype, etc.

Will certainly be interesting when/if the Iphone gives up some of their "control" to 3rd party apps.....but I just don't see it making a huge impact on the business world. The e-mail alone on the Berry is just too good.

Just my .02

ps. It's like I read on another thread....

"The Berry is an Iphone for grown-ups!"
    03-05-08 02:50 PM
    ive had both. i think the iphone is more of a toy type phone. and the blackberry is more business savy. i dont regret leaving my iphone not one bit though.

but hey thats just me.
    03-05-08 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD