I happen to have a lot of time tonight and re-watched the BB10 Launch, then wondered, what was Apples launch like when their first launched the IPhone?
    if you have the time, watch them. I would like to see what you think of the BB10 launch in comparison to what Apple was doing 6 years ago. (They are about an hour each)

Apple IPhone Gen 1 Launch:
    BlackBerry 10 Gen 1 Launch: [HD] BlackBerry 10 Launch Event - Full Length - YouTube

After watching the 2, these are my thoughts:

I believe that the BB10 Launch was treated the way it should have been, this is a mobile communication device nothing more then that. BlackBerry needed to play catch up and show everyone that they can still make beautiful, functional devices.

But after watching the Apple iPhone Launch I have to give Apple or even just Steve Jobs the props for this one, right up front in 2007 he says: "This device is 5 years ahead of anything on the market" and he was right.
    Now, you could argue that the devices of today are not the same, android has larger screens and faster processors BB's have great communication and email and so on, but really, they are the same.

All BlackBerry did was prolong the inevitable death of the company by putting out an iPhone like device, and frankly almost every device with a touch screen these days, is an iPhone Like Device, and since the release of the IPhone nothing has been revolutionary about anything in the mobile world. Apple hasn't changed anything because they haven't had to. While the rest of the world has been playing catch up, they've been relaxing, sipping ice cold beers and watching the money roll in. Unfortunately, that might change with Steve Jobs out of the picture, leaving Apple behind the pack with no sense of direction. Who will take the iPhones place in the mobile world? probably not another touch screen device that can do everything the next device can, except with a special twist.

Having said all this I will be buying a Z10, I developed for it, I will support it and I will continue to develop for it, but not because it's BlackBerry, because I believe the only beacon of hope to come out of this is QNX.

The Z10 or Q10 device is not the Revolutionary device to bring BlackBerry back.

The IPhone Combined 3 markets with its release, a popular music player, an Internet Browser and a mobile communication device)

BlackBerry combined... nothing. Everything BlackBerry introduced on BB10, Apple introduced in the iPhone 6 years ago, they just made it a little better.

They need to look at the world and find something that needs to be created that hasnít been, and use all their resources and knowledge to make it happen even if its not in the mobile device market.

The mobile market since the iPhone has experienced no new breakthroughs, the only thing left to put on a phone is a self sufficient ecosystem that doesn't need a computer. Make a device where you can write programs for that device on the device, connect it to an external display and have an entire desktop experience. This will eliminate computers entirely, and maybe you might get a year on the competition.

I believe this is the direction that BlackBerry is moving in and I also believe QNX will take them there.
    01-31-13 09:14 PM
    That iPhone keynote was really the pinnacle of Apple keynotes and Steve Jobs. Its funny listening to people ooh and ah to now common features such as slide to unlock and inertial scrolling. Its hard to remember that those things weren't common back then,
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-31-13 09:35 PM
    That iPhone keynote was really the pinnacle of Apple keynotes and Steve Jobs. Its funny listening to people ooh and ah to now common features such as slide to unlock and inertial scrolling. Its hard to remember that those things weren't common back then,
    This is just my point, they created these features from nothing. since then everyone has just been copying that mentality. the touch screen was the biggest thing to happen to smart phones and since then nothing has really happened.

Create Innovative software and pair it up with an innovative piece of hardware.
    01-31-13 10:27 PM
    BergerKing and Masahiro like this.
    01-31-13 11:26 PM
    OMG... MAN, i was just searching for original launch REVIEWS.

lol. can you find any?

I think this is a great idea (watching the video tomorrow) .

We have to take into consideration the time/technology difference obviously... but just to show the 'STARTING LINE' for both is pretty neat.

ill be back tomorrow !
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-31-13 11:37 PM
    OMG... MAN, i was just searching for original launch REVIEWS.

lol. can you find any?

I think this is a great idea (watching the video tomorrow) .

We have to take into consideration the time/technology difference obviously... but just to show the 'STARTING LINE' for both is pretty neat.

ill be back tomorrow !
    Yeah they showed the blackberry as their starting line
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-31-13 11:38 PM
    Three things from a quick skim through...

They also rebranded with the launch
    I thought I was watching the iPhone 5 launch
    The reason everyone is clapping like mad is because (yes the product was revolutionary) THEY HAD NEVER WITNESSED IT BEFORE! ... everyone in the audience at the BB10 launch knew 90% of the info, and for months.
    02-01-13 12:10 AM
    The starting line for Apple here was the invention of an actual mobile smartphone (iPhone). If you were to make a more accurate comparison, that would be BB releasing its invention of the first true smartphone to exist in 1999.

The release of the Z10 is not the same as the starting line of Apple. Z10 is not BB's first smartphone release. It is the basis for technological connection to other devices through the QNX core. This type of hyper connectivity (a line Heins uses quite often) has been a major goal in tech industries for some time (i.e. smart house, car, etc). The one problem was finding a standard seed that is able to connect all the difference devices and different systems to one focal point of management. I believe BB has found that focal point in the QNX core. The BB phone is the controller that allows you to manage all these other devices - I believe that is the true starting point of the Z10 and BB's real intention in the long run. So while people see the Z10 as merely a smartphone, like all the other smartphones out there, once the other pieces are set in place and all the separate entities connect together, then we'll see the true purpose of BB10 come into fruition. This is a huge undertaking and will require several years to accomplish...and I hope that BB will succeed so that I can see this vision of theirs in the near future.

On a simpler note, BB Balance is revolutionary if you think about it. And screen sharing is a novel concept that is full of uses. However, these may apply more to business people and the mere consumer may simply scoff at this and dismiss it without a second thought.
    Acumenight, m0de25 and BergerKing like this.
    02-01-13 12:23 AM
    Interesting.
    I had a Motorola Q during this time - as pictured in Job's presentation. Honestly, I loved it. I remember being on the verge of going with the iPhone at launch since I was an Apple fan back then.....for laptops. But as fate would have it I walked into a T-mo store while on business in Chicago and saw a Blackberry Curve. And the salesperson said I could use it seamlessly on WiFi at home or at the office. I JUMPED back to Black and I have been happy as a productive business guy ever since.
    Yes, I did cave to an iPhone 4s for 3 months last year, as well as Android. I wanted to see what I was missing.
    I missed my Berry and came back again.
    It will be great to be on the Z10.
    I feel that for me it will be the best of both worlds.....a Beloved Berry merged with iPhone-esque form and function.
    Works for me!
    02-01-13 01:42 AM
    Apple did change things, and there is some backlash because of it. They changed parts of their hardware that have been met with derision, scorn, and in some cases, outright anger. Yes, they still sold a boatload of devices, but they are having to scale back some fair sized portions of their assumed orders. They also refuse to bend on some things people want, like NFC support. And they've been sitting back a little long, and people are starting to notice. Churn is starting, and if they keep up the 'take what we give you' route, don't count on their continued domination. Nobody else is resting. There is plenty of room for improvement.
    BBerryPowerUser and m0de25 like this.
    02-01-13 01:56 AM
    I somewhat agree. All these people complain it was underwhelming and not what they expect. Well guess what. Its not apple. They don't have phones, mp3 players, computers and etc to show off to the world. The reality is that they showed off some phones and made some thigs official.

I'm pissed that people are pissed and dissappointed. Why? We have seen leaks as well as official videos of what they were putting on the os. Yes they didn't show it off. But I mean go back the last 6 months and watch how it works and what they have done in those videos. We know what it does and can do so why re-do it. The release was a good amount of time and didn't not need to be any longer. We know and have known what bb10 was and is capable of. All we didn't know was small key things as well as the device info. We didn't know about skype. So stfu and chill. Just let it play out. This is not apple. Thor doesn't need to wear tacky *** turtle necks (or black shirts only for that matter), jeans and all white new balances.
    02-01-13 02:56 AM
    I have a problem with the OP's premise. It is almost like saying the 1960 Jaguar E-Type is the perfect car and no car ever need be made after that. Now the iPhone is more like a Yugo then a Jag but, the idea that the iPhone is the pinnacle of smartphones is ridiculous.
    02-01-13 07:36 AM
    BlackBerry can win againts iPHONE if blackberry defeat them by find the weakness of iPHONE and get the iPHONE's weakness as our majority...
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-01-13 07:43 AM
    I think the op is saying that BB10 isn't different enough to overcome their disadvantages in ecosystem and brand compared with the iPhone. Small differences with the leader only create a niche, not a big market share.
    Some people were expecting a big surprise at the launch event, something earthshaking that could give a real advantage to RIM and bring it back as a big player.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-01-13 08:45 AM
    I have a problem with the OP's premise. It is almost like saying the 1960 Jaguar E-Type is the perfect car and no car ever need be made after that. Now the iPhone is more like a Yugo then a Jag but, the idea that the iPhone is the pinnacle of smartphones is ridiculous.
    Not really what i was going for. The original iPhone definately had room to improve, 160ppi made me chuckle, and the mobile phone industry has made those improvments.
    Maybe the iPhone was just pitched better at the time and now it just feels like everyone is trying to carry on Steve Jobs vision for the smart phone.

On the other hand, all the touch screen did for the iPhone was give it a better UX and new UI. All the BB10 has done is give BB a new UX and UI, a new way to interact with your device. But really its all just a refinement of what was initially introduced when a touch screen was added to the smart phone.

Now that we have finally hit ceiling in the touch screen + mobile device industry and they are all beginning to looking the same.. such as Steve Jobs slide did in 2007, it will be interesting to see what the next years bring
    westiewanderer and BergerKing like this.
    02-01-13 08:57 AM
    I don't think anyone will know the "true" impact of the new Blackberries (or of the launch event) for a couple of years yet. Like everything else, it's hard to gain a proper perspective when you're right in the middle of things. People overreact, one way or the other; e.g. oh, no push email, we have to wait 15 minutes! It's all over. We skim over the details. Given time and reflection, people may discover other things about the new Blackberries, or rethink their initial reaction to the email thingie. Now it may be that the BB turns out to be a bigger flop than originally thought, or it might turn out the other way. It will depend on a number of factors, none of which has likely occurred yet. Discussion is great, but people do calm down over time. It's like I tell students who've done particularly poorly on a test: "take a deep breath, wait a few days, the pain will lessen and you'll see it's not quite as bad as you thought and you'll look toward what happens next" (of course sometimes it's worse than they thought).

The above is not any great insight, I know, it's easy to say, but really, things are going to look quite a bit different (might be better or worse) 6 months from now than they do currently.
    02-01-13 09:14 AM
    Flow Just might be the beginning of full 3d interactive experiences....We will look back at physical *candy-bar* form-factors and have a little chuckle I think!
    02-01-13 09:46 AM