And one more once-purposeful thread goes down the crapper. I'm amazed it took as long as it did.
    02-11-11 11:17 PM
    And one more once-purposeful thread goes down the crapper. I'm amazed it took as long as it did.
    it would be boring if they always were on topic, if there were no flaming, no debating. I find it somewhat entertaining when im bored, some pretty witty people on here
    02-11-11 11:21 PM
    And that's while driving.
    Oh to heck with Swype... Couldn't use it, not to mention I can't use Samsung full stop. Plus, I think Android would be too difficult for me to use, even though I'm a tech-whizz a lot of the time (I can build computers from the ground up, only need a little bit of minor assistance). I used to use Linux (until I botched up my PC and had to factory reset it), and will be installing Chromium. But yes, I will stick to what I know, which is BlackBerry.

As for the OP. You said she wants to tinker with her phone. Specifically what type of tinkering, and what are the main things she uses her phone for (such as SMS, MSN, email, games, etc, but not tinkering). With all that information to hand, we can draw up the right phone for her. But if she's set on BB, then trying to make her change if bad (I tried to make my last girlfriend get a BB to upgrade from her old non-Android/WP LG, she was ready to stab me repeatedly for it)
    02-12-11 06:23 AM
    If she really wants to customize her phone and have control of it, and she is within her first 30 days, tell her to go back and trade it now!
    02-12-11 01:29 PM
    Back on topic -
    What exactly do you want to do OP?
    Different look, check out the themes section: http://forums.crackberry.com/f16/. You can do a lot with themes.
    Battery life: her curve should already get darn good battery life.

She should have a 93x0 curve (9330 or 9300 - if it's a 85x0 or 83x0, return it and get the 93x0 curve).
    02-12-11 04:29 PM
    I agree with a few others. You would need to let us know what you want to change on the device. Themes will give the device a new look and sometimes new features (I love the theme I have on my Tour since it had a hidden icon dock, hidden today screens that only show when the icon is highlighted, and access to just about every setting from the top bar). There are weather apps that will either display weather information as part of the icon, or will change the background.

You can add PingChat, or another IM app to communicate between the two of you.

Some apps are on both platforms, even though they work differently. Drivesafe.ly will read e-mails and SMS messages. On BlackBerry, they are read as they arrive. On Android, e-mail is read when the app queries the server. You can do voice commands on the Android. With Vlingo on BB, you assign it to a convenience key and have voice activated functions (sending e-mail, SMS, opening apps...) without needing to use an icon.

If you can let us know how she wants to use her BB, we may be able to make better suggestions.
    02-14-11 02:33 PM
    There's widgets for the blackberry, limited as it maybe. I'm sure more is in the future. The only widgets I would consider are already out.if you want to tinker download the rim sdk and code your own widgets and perhaps grab the theme builder and build some themes

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-11 05:17 PM
    what widgets are there on a BB?
    02-14-11 05:36 PM
    Go to app world and search widgets? One that I remeber trying is bloc. It lcs the screen and has a clock, weather, and some other widgets on the home screen

02-14-11 05:39 PM
    Themes do a little bit more than just changing colours and icons, though I will agree not to the level that Android Brings, but saying that Blackberry's are not customizable is a false statement.

There are themes with built in "widgets" I call them live icons, because I don't think they really offer what widgets can, but Some themes really change your bb experience
    Every smartphone OS is customizeable to a degree, even iOS.

Some are just lacking in the customization department that it's not even worth mentioning.

iOS, BBOS, and WP7 being 3 that quickly come to mind.

BBOS is more customizeable than the other 2, but that doesn't make it very customizeable. Android and Windows Mobile and ridiculously more customizeable than BBOS, for example. So much so, that they can't even be mentioned in the same sentence on this subject.

But it really doesn't matter, because if you want to hack around your phone you should make sure to pick one that easily facilitates, it :P
    02-14-11 09:35 PM
    Every smartphone OS is customizeable to a degree, even iOS.

Some are just lacking in the customization department that it's not even worth mentioning.

iOS, BBOS, and WP7 being 3 that quickly come to mind.

BBOS is more customizeable than the other 2, but that doesn't make it very customizeable. Android and Windows Mobile and ridiculously more customizeable than BBOS, for example. So much so, that they can't even be mentioned in the same sentence on this subject.

But it really doesn't matter, because if you want to hack around your phone you should make sure to pick one that easily facilitates, it :P
    Aight then give us an end result that you can acheive with the android that can't be reached with BB.
    I know some of the Android osed devices's cpus can be over clocked.. But what does that really accomplish..
    Last edited by 13echo4; 02-15-11 at 12:15 AM.
    02-15-11 12:08 AM
    Aight then give us an end result that you can acheive with the android that can't be reached with BB.

+1 ^this^ (sorry for the useless post, but I couldn't have said it any better).

02-15-11 12:11 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD