So I'm curious to how exactly BB and othetr mobile devices avoid getting viruses? Can anyone explain how this works?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-11 09:32 PM
    As of right now, there are no blackberry viruses. They'd one or two developers who's apps will steal your email address, but that's about it.
    To avoid viruses on iphones, just don't jailbreak it. To avoid them on an android, just don't download anything.
    Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    08-12-11 10:13 PM
    Only viruses your Blackberry can get are cold viruses when you use it after blowing your nose.
    08-12-11 10:18 PM
    As of right now, there are no blackberry viruses. They'd one or two developers who's apps will steal your email address, but that's about it.
    To avoid viruses on iphones, just don't jailbreak it. To avoid them on an android, just don't download anything.
    Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    Thx for the reply. I guess what I'm wondering is how these devices manage to prevent viruses? Is there some kind of "smartpone anti virus" hard coded into the OSes?

08-12-11 10:21 PM
    Thx for the reply. I guess what I'm wondering is how these devices manage to prevent viruses? Is there some kind of "smartpone anti virus" hard coded into the OSes?

From my understanding, RIM is so secure nobody has figured out how to make a virus for it, and if they did their dev keys would be revoked and they wouldn't be able to make any apps and blackberries would block themselves from downloading any of their existing apps. For Apple, you have such a limited range of what you can do on the devices that you can't make a virus, among many many other things, and even if somehow you did it probably wouldn't be approved into the app store. For Android devices, there are viruses of all kinds. For everything else, nobody knows about them, so they don't bother making viruses for them.
    08-13-11 03:26 PM
    One of main reasons I think is people tend to not write viruses for them

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk
    08-13-11 03:29 PM
    Android is most susceptible because they allow any app on their Android Market.

iPhone has to pre-approve all apps and they do so very extensively so there are very few ways to get a virus on your iPhone.

BlackBerry is very secure, but I'm not sure of their app approving process and such.
    08-13-11 03:34 PM
    One of the reasons you don't find viruses on a smartphone vs a PC is numbers, with PC's you have code bases that are HUGE with far more potential holes to attack, and programmers who make things for PC's are able to be more lazy due to higher power available, data usage is also something smartphones are more likely to pay attention to, where on a PC people don't notice it as much.

Mobile OS's even Android are built far more with security and resourse management in mind than Computer OS's. All these factors are reasons people look to PC's to for virus writing, they have a better chance of infection, and potentially a better chance for financial gain

08-13-11 04:00 PM
    08-13-11 11:18 PM
    a bunch of expert hackers were able to extract some address book data, and if I remember right media card information, from an unsecured BlackBerry by using the webkit browser (which, I'd like to pont out, isn't made by RIM, but is an open source platform ).
    Not a virus, and not something to worry about lol.

08-13-11 11:23 PM
    It may not be feasibe to create a virus for BB, but it seems that someone would just to say they did. I guess the code base limitations help but with all the third-party apps available outside of App World (themes and such), it seems like someone would come up with sumthing. I guess that's why u hear about "bricked" devices tho. Thx for everyone's input.

08-25-11 11:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD