little over a year ago, BlackBerry made up 90% of smartphone sales at Verizon. Now? They've dropped down to less than 20% with Android taking over the rest. It's crazy.

In the chart from ITG Investment Research, you can correlate the date of when each manufacturer boosted its share with a specific device: Motorola with the original Droid, HTC with the Eris and Incredible, Samsung with the Fascinate, etc. Contrast that with BlackBerry where any new release just continues this embarrassing downward trend.

And to think, what would happen to BlackBerry if/when Verizon gets the iPhone. BlackBerry is in trouble and their CEO should realize it.
    BlackBerry on Verizon: Getting Smoked By Android

oh and yeah..

Can You Figure Out WTF RIM's CEO Is Talking About?
    Last edited by Shodan775; 12-12-10 at 02:06 AM.
    12-12-10 02:03 AM
    To an extent that is worrying considering not to long ago if those stats are true that they pushed a lot of blackberry phones out there. Also there hasn't been many outstanding releases on the verizon netwokr in those last few months for anyone to warrant getting one unless they like the specific features. AT&T has the torch as an exclusive so unless you don't mind swapping networks for a phone there isn't much options out there. Unlike the android where there's quite a wagon full of manufacturers making all sorts of touch enabled phones that are the rage.

so yes, there's something RIM needs to plug up and I don't see that anytime soon unless RIM start providing incentives to the carriers to push their brand out there.

In trouble or not, this is one network and unless they begin losing a huge of money, one can only look at other networks to see if its as drastic?

One things for sure, verizon selling more blackberries or not just doesn't worry me one bit.
    12-12-10 02:29 AM
    I will say this again, RIM isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Don't always believe what you see/read on the internets.

Use your common sense and your brain to figure out what I mean, its not that difficult if you have ever operated a business the size of RIM. For me I haven't but understand the logic behind what's going on with all these "write ups" spreading like an std.

The business world is a dirty place and they all don't play nice/fair.

Nothing further!

Thnx, •Tripster•

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-10 02:34 AM
    This is the free market system at work. Consumers demand certain features, and manufacturers that deliver said features better will flourish.

Most consumers aren't like the hardcore BB fans. This should be very evident when looking at the figures. Most consumers want devices that can entertain them but still have other useful functionality too, rather than devices with a ton of functionality but relatively little entertainment capacity.

If RIM realizes this, which I suspect they have started to given who they've acquired recently, they'll be able to adapt to the marketplace's demands and reverse that trend if they push it far enough.
    K Bear likes this.
    12-12-10 07:05 AM
    This is the free market system at work. Consumers demand certain features, and manufacturers that deliver said features better will flourish.

Most consumers aren't like the hardcore BB fans. This should be very evident when looking at the figures. Most consumers want devices that can entertain them but still have other useful functionality too, rather than devices with a ton of functionality but relatively little entertainment capacity.

If RIM realizes this, which I suspect they have started to given who they've acquired recently, they'll be able to adapt to the marketplace's demands and reverse that trend if they push it far enough.
    Some of what you say is true. But people are still buying Blackberries. Heck even my children want a Storm 2, and they are very technically savvy.

I don't know what consumers want. Blackberry was never really meant to be a consumer phone. iphone was never meant to be an enterprise phone. It's tough crossing the line.
    12-12-10 08:35 AM
    Some of what you say is true. But people are still buying Blackberries. Heck even my children want a Storm 2, and they are very technically savvy.

I don't know what consumers want. Blackberry was never really meant to be a consumer phone. iphone was never meant to be an enterprise phone. It's tough crossing the line.
    I don't see how the data doesn't speak for itself with regard to what consumers (in general) seem to want. Obviously consumers aren't all the same. I will give you the fact that people are still buying BB's. I suspect you'll also concede that there are significantly less people buying them (at least on Verizon) than even a year ago, and buying other things instead.

It will be interesting to see if Apple and the Android manufacturers come out with dedicated units that are locked down specifically for enterprise use and come with more restrictions rather than trying to break into the enterprise market with regular consumer devices (which regular consumers theoretically prefer to not be locked down, at least I do)...

Heck, that might be what RIM should have done even starting a few years ago. Make a separate lineup for enterprise devices (primarily focused on email, document handling, etc) and a lineup for the consumer market with more powerful hardware for a richer multimedia/web/game experience.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 12-12-10 at 09:22 AM.
    12-12-10 09:19 AM
    Now, imagine what will happen when Verizon starts selling iPhone. I bet you that a big percentage of all the BlackBerry users on Verizon (as well as other networks) will be buying an iPhone from Verizon. The same will happen with Android users. A lot of people have settled for an Android/BlackBerry device because they couldn't get an iPhone on Verizon.
    12-12-10 09:53 AM
    little over a year ago, BlackBerry made up 90% of smartphone sales at Verizon. Now? They've dropped down to less than 20% with Android taking over the rest. It's crazy.

In the chart from ITG Investment Research, you can correlate the date of when each manufacturer boosted its share with a specific device: Motorola with the original Droid, HTC with the Eris and Incredible, Samsung with the Fascinate, etc. Contrast that with BlackBerry where any new release just continues this embarrassing downward trend.

And to think, what would happen to BlackBerry if/when Verizon gets the iPhone. BlackBerry is in trouble and their CEO should realize it.
    Ok, so not to suggest that this isn't cause for concern, does anyone recall what the landscape was a little over a year ago in regards to smart phone competition, particularly on Verizon? No iPhone, for starters, and Android was just starting to gain stride. Other than that, you had Symbian, WinMo and Palm, the latter two as we all know already being on a serious decline. Also, up until recently, the lion's share of smart phone users were business users -- RIM's historical target audience -- and RIM really had no competition to speak of. Apple really lit the fuse under the non-enterprise smart phone market. Introduce a new OS with some very slick marketing right about the time that the market is exploding among personal users, well, RIM had nowhere to go but down market-share-wise.

Also, what folks need to remember before hitting the panic button is that these charts represent market share, and much of the volatility we've seen this year is the result of a LOT of new smart phone buyers, obviously a segment RIM should have been paying more attention to. Nonetheless, while RIM's share is falling, its sales are still growing. Of course they would like to be grabbing a bigger slice of that pie, and I expect the brain trust is and has been strategizing diligently on exactly how to do that. I can only assume that the recent acquisition of TAT was a direct result of those efforts.

Yes, the news could be better ... but I wouldn't start putting nails in the coffin just yet.
    12-12-10 10:07 AM
    Make a separate lineup for enterprise devices (primarily focused on email, document handling, etc) and a lineup for the consumer market with more powerful hardware for a richer multimedia/web/game experience.
    I figured, that's exactly what they tried to do with both the Storm and the Style as mainstream phones, and for enterprise purposes - the curve/bold. The Torch..is something that wants to be both.

But regarding on this sort of a marketing,Motorola did similar with its Droidx and Droid Pro. I was just reading the Droid Pro customer reviews, most of the newcomers were BB business customers.
    12-12-10 10:16 AM
    I don't see how the data doesn't speak for itself with regard to what consumers (in general) seem to want. Obviously consumers aren't all the same. I will give you the fact that people are still buying BB's. I suspect you'll also concede that there are significantly less people buying them (at least on Verizon) than even a year ago, and buying other things instead.

It will be interesting to see if Apple and the Android manufacturers come out with dedicated units that are locked down specifically for enterprise use and come with more restrictions rather than trying to break into the enterprise market with regular consumer devices (which regular consumers theoretically prefer to not be locked down, at least I do)...

Heck, that might be what RIM should have done even starting a few years ago. Make a separate lineup for enterprise devices (primarily focused on email, document handling, etc) and a lineup for the consumer market with more powerful hardware for a richer multimedia/web/game experience.
    But there are two sides to this the other side being the earnings report. The new quarterly report is coming out Dec 16 so it will be interesting.

12-12-10 10:17 AM
    Yeh but earnings dont tell the whole story either as some people around here want others to believe (and Im sure their investment in RIM isnt affecting their judgment at all ). Just because you're making money doesn't mean you're selling enough or making a good enough product to compete in the long run. If you're losing marketshare you're either losing from your customer base, or not gaining nearly as much of the booming smartphone market as the others.

Do we know if RIM is simply losing their share of the market, or merely holding steady while the market grows and not increasing their piece of the pie? No, but neither is a good situation to be in when looking at the competition able to increase their slice of the pie and invading RIM's corporate space.

Is RIM going to crumble tomorrow? No of course not. But a good earnings report doesnt mean 5 years down the line they wont be 4th place in the OS marketshare and become a niche product (like Nextel became) either if they keep losing % as they have been.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 12-12-10 at 01:59 PM.
    K Bear likes this.
    12-12-10 01:54 PM
    But there are two sides to this the other side being the earnings report. The new quarterly report is coming out Dec 16 so it will be interesting.

bb fans love to hang their hat on "earnings report" as if that is a sign that all is well. but these numbers here suggest all is NOT well and will be reflected in the earnings of the company eventually. it takes time as there are lots of moving pieces. rimm still does well in 2g and 2.5g markets. so until they move to 3g rimm will still sell lots of low cost units in places that don't have lots of bandwidth. As a business plan, that's not so "exciting" however. the price earnings ratio of 10 suggests investors believe the heady days of rimm growth are coming to an end.
    Last edited by dutchtender; 12-12-10 at 02:14 PM.
    12-12-10 02:11 PM
    If RIM wasn't earning any money, no matter how good sales were, they would be out of business.

Where they go is anyboys guess, but I'm not counting them for dead yet. Far from it.
    12-12-10 02:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD