Three months after the launch of the BlackBerry (BBRY) Z10, a BlackBerry with a touch screen has managed to not only stop, but also seriously reverse, years of market share erosion. The stats below show you the BlackBerry's vendor market share based on browser observation.

A few words about methodology: Statcounter Global is a very good 'non-mobile' industry barometer in my opinion. This company is in the business of providing stats, similar to Google analytics, for website owners. They do not sell research to hedge funds or analysts. Using the network of client sites (largely English language) they are able to track browser usages, desktop vs mobile, screen resolutions etc. They can then slice that data up by country and device types. As such, they have no 'skin' in the game and are not fazed about the mobile OS wars and neither the browser wars. They simply report data for their clients.

You may use the links to look at different countries; I stuck to the UK as this is where the Z10 will have the greatest impact as it has been here three months.

The sample size used in the UK is based on 703 Million page views.

StatCounter Global Stats - Browser, OS, Search Engine including Mobile Market Share
    BlackBerry User Stats show a 21% increase in the UK with release of BB10-bbstat.jpg
    anon(5624621) likes this.
    05-03-13 10:30 AM
    Very cool link, thanks! Incredible how different Canada and the UK are from the US..
    05-03-13 10:44 AM
    I find it quite impressive that BlackBerry is nearly at the same level as Samsung.

Si.
    05-03-13 11:45 AM
    You want a crazier graph? Look at the stats for South Africa. Market share jumps to 49% after the launch.

StatCounter Global Stats - Browser, OS, Search Engine including Mobile Market Share
    05-03-13 01:53 PM
    Although the numbers are impressive I'm a little sceptical of the results. The "actual" methodology is fine but for the last 3 or 4 years measuring specifically BlackBerry use using this methodology has been very inaccurate. Since OS5 and up, all the way through to 7.1 many devices were flagging as iOS and were counted toward Apple stats. Probably the worst example of this was the 9700 running on OS6, BlackBerry's best selling phone to date stacking Apple's stats! I'm sure BlackBerry has shown an impressive increase in market penetration, but until someone can sort the numbers out from before this isn't the best method of measuring it.
    Last edited by Jonesy1966; 05-03-13 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Oops!
    05-03-13 02:38 PM
    Just yesterday I went to a website on my z10 and got a message saying that my safari browser wasn't supported.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 02:50 PM
    Just yesterday I went to a website on my z10 and got a message saying that my safari browser wasn't supported.

Posted via CB10
    That is odd. What was the website?

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 02:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    My 9700 & 9780 used to get redirected all the time and always had something to do with Safari. In fact, the same thing has happened on my PlayBook although only once or twice.
    05-03-13 03:02 PM
    That is odd. What was the website?

Posted via CB10
    I can't remember. I followed a link from a news article. You'd think a Web site would support safari or they are losing a lot of page views.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 03:14 PM
    UHH Safari is an Apple browser,, Apple doesn't support Flash media for cell phones, Ipads/Mac book YUP, cell..NO. Use Foxfire browser or explorer.
    05-03-13 04:53 PM
    You want a crazier graph? Look at the stats for South Africa. Market share jumps to 49% after the launch.

I don't know what to make of that graph. The rise starts before the launch of BB10. Even so, that's just to extreme. Unless I'm
    Missing something.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 12:38 AM

Posted via CB10
    I got the same thing!!!!

Blackberry Faithful
    05-04-13 04:39 AM
    Would love to get excited but can't.

Not good methodology, as others mentioned. OS 6 and 7 used the webkit browser. You would see skyrocketing performance on BB10 because it literally has nowhere to go but up.

Only actual sales and two full quarter results will give accurate infornation

Posted from my gorgeous Z10, which got me into being a BlackBerry fangirl again!!!!!!!!!!
    05-04-13 05:19 AM
    Yeah what jumped out at me was that Samsung usage was about to be overtaken by BB...hard to believe seeing as how Android is roughly 50pct of the smartphone market in the UK and the majority of that is likely to be made up of Samsung phones.

I did not know that the user agent of the BB browser identified itself as iOS . that sounds counterproductive unless some website block BB browser s.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    05-04-13 11:25 AM
    how are you guys getting a "safari not supported" message on a blackberry phone?
    05-08-13 03:54 PM
    how are you guys getting a "safari not supported" message on a blackberry phone?
    It identifies itself as WebKit and some lazy Web coders assume it's Safari.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 04:33 PM
    Seems very unreliable when you pick different criteria. Result doesn't jive with reputable sources like Comscore . (20% RIM Canada Dec 2012)
    05-08-13 10:05 PM