Well it might not directly cause you to be suicidal but if you work for France Telecom it could be that trigger that pushes you over the edge. Since the beginning of 2008, 22 workers have committed suicide and 13 have attempted it at the newly privatized French company.

These aren�t just people going home and slitting their wrists, no they are offing themselves at work in gruesome ways. One man actually stabbed himself in the stomach during a meeting and a woman threw herself out of a window.

Although the article doesn�t directly blame the BlackBerry, it does say that having a constant stream of emails at work and at home due to BlackBerry use could be a contributing factor.

As a note for all the CrackBerry.com fans out there, the article even mentions the use of the term CrackBerry and it�s relation to the addiction some feel toward their little electronic buddy.

Original Article on MobiMadness: BlackBerry Use Makes You Suicidal? | MobiMadness
    09-25-09 02:53 PM
    Ya ok .. Cause a phone makes me want to kill myself

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-09 03:45 PM
    Umm... oook *steps away slowly*
    09-25-09 03:48 PM
    Some people will do anything to get out of a meeting.
    09-25-09 03:48 PM

x2.

Funny pic though...
    09-25-09 04:07 PM
    lmao. French were weak during WWII. This isn't a surprise.
    09-25-09 04:10 PM
    Come on, fabuloso, I am not a french nationalist, but you're away from the original topic.

Lately, some of the France Tel commited suicide because of hard management not because of "emails".
    Even though emails can be part of it, I don't think it is a reason which explain these dramatic behaviour.

And please, stop kidding about these.
    The use of Blackberries have nothing to do with it.

09-25-09 04:36 PM
    When you're getting crap e-mails from your boss 24/7 then I can see how you can become suicidal hahah
    09-25-09 04:51 PM
    HA HA HA Hilarious.
    09-25-09 06:27 PM
    Yep. Fab hit the nail on the head. They are weak. Here in the US if employees can't handle hard management, they off the manager and some co-workers.
    09-25-09 09:22 PM
    ...well...maybe if it's a WinMo phone...
    09-25-09 09:29 PM
    ...well...maybe if it's a WinMo phone...
    Now, now...wouldn't that make you homicidal?

Now, this story may sound far-fetched to a lot of people, but if you're in a job where you're already under a ton of stress (and it's stress you don't handle well...which means you probably shouldn't have picked that job in the first place, but I digress...), not being able to escape that feeling of constantly being tethered to work or the world around you can get to be a bit much.

The feeling of information overload is why I took about a 8-month break from having a cell phone last year. Did I feel suicidal? No...but I definitely understand the stress.
    09-25-09 10:37 PM
    When you're getting crap e-mails from your boss 24/7 then I can see how you can become suicidal hahah
    Can't those folks just not read emails from their boss when away from work?
    Seems easy for me to do that.
    09-26-09 12:01 AM
    I'm sorry but I'm ganna have to pull the bs flag on this one! 1st if you let work stress you this much, maybe find a new job also last time I check you can have a seprate folder for sms/mms text and email, why not just put the email on silent??? Also why not just have two cell phones one fore work one for personal on days off and when not at work the blackberry gets turned off. Sorry. But I feel people are just tryoing to blame everything on everbody else
    09-26-09 12:45 AM
    well alrighty then
    09-26-09 02:14 AM
    I second BRYAN, to me that sounds crazy to kill myself for a job.
    These employees should have found a new job, instead of THIS.

But saying that Frenchies are "weak" sounds as crazy to me.
    There's nothing particular about the country, just unfounded comment about WW et caetera.

09-26-09 03:53 AM
    It's worth pointing out that the male suicide rate in France is already around 1.5x higher than the U.S. (Blackberries not withstanding)

National intelligence and suicide rate: an ecological study of 85 countries

ScienceDirect - Personality and Individual Differences : National intelligence and suicide rate: an ecological study of 85 countries

If the link doesn't work for everyone let me know and I'll paste the info. instead
    Last edited by Bluegrassman; 09-26-09 at 08:39 AM.
    09-26-09 08:34 AM
    It could be worse. They could have been forced to use the Iphone! Then we might be seeing suicidal bombings!
    09-26-09 09:11 AM
    It's worth pointing out that the male suicide rate in France is already around 1.5x higher than the U.S. (Blackberries not withstanding)

National intelligence and suicide rate: an ecological study of 85 countries

ScienceDirect - Personality and Individual Differences : National intelligence and suicide rate: an ecological study of 85 countries

If the link doesn't work for everyone let me know and I'll paste the info. instead
    Thank you for the read just hard to see that phones have any impact ..

09-26-09 09:44 AM
    That is completely outrageous. honestly if you think about it we as human beings have let technology take ahold of us to the point that we are slaves to the industry. I love my blackberry dont get me wrong and i am addicted to the internet however there does come a point when you need to shut the damn phone off and enjoy life. We are so focused on work, how to get ahead in life and make the most money for the newest space age toys that we lose our self identity.
    09-26-09 09:52 AM
    I'm sorry but I'm ganna have to pull the bs flag on this one! 1st if you let work stress you this much, maybe find a new job also last time I check you can have a seprate folder for sms/mms text and email, why not just put the email on silent??? Also why not just have two cell phones one fore work one for personal on days off and when not at work the blackberry gets turned off. Sorry. But I feel people are just tryoing to blame everything on everbody else
    Totally agree with that statement. I have a stressful job that has a BB that never stops. I am convinced my boss is a bat and never sleeps. However, It goes on silent after work. I will check occassionally to make sure I didn't miss something of major importantance. But, I switch over to personal one and don't look back.
    09-26-09 10:06 AM
    That is completely outrageous. honestly if you think about it we as human beings have let technology take ahold of us to the point that we are slaves to the industry. I love my blackberry dont get me wrong and i am addicted to the internet however there does come a point when you need to shut the damn phone off and enjoy life. We are so focused on work, how to get ahead in life and make the most money for the newest space age toys that we lose our self identity.
    Were dependent on technology now yes but not to this extreme like the articles are saying

09-26-09 10:17 AM
    Hahaha I love my blackberry, but not enough to become suicidal
    09-26-09 12:40 PM
    Umm ok

09-26-09 02:51 PM
    I like how people say to just get a new job. Like we're just floating in jobs nowadays. Not a real viable option for most people right now. I agree that people shouldn't stress so much about work, but it's an employer world.

09-26-09 03:18 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD