Hi All,

I'm writing because I would like to buy a blackberry 9700 or similar from the US and use it in Chile (where I'm living atm). The main reason is because they all require 2yr contracts if you buy them here on contracts and they are crazy priced on and off the plans.

What I would like to know is if there are any compatibility problems I would have and if there is a particular version of "unlocked" 9700 I should buy.

Will I be able to use 3G here? (I will hopefully stay with the entel pcs network)

Will I loose any functionality?

Will I be able to send/recieve MMS?

Are there any known problems with doing something like this?

Can any of these problems (if any) be changed by changing phone configurations?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

Best regards,
    Col.
    09-22-10 04:09 PM
    You will need to unlock the phone and then make sure Entel has a blackberry data plan. Additionally, you might have to input entel data settings in the phone.
    09-22-10 04:14 PM
    As long as your local carrier supports BIS and will allow you to add an unlocked 9700 onto your account there will be no issues.

Please check your local carriers bands vs the pasted below to make sure 3G compatibility. Specs pasted are for an ATT 9700.

Quad-band GSM cell phone compatible with 850/900/1800/1900 frequencies and US/International 3G compatibility via 800/850/1900/2100/ 1700/2100 MHz, UMTS/HSDPA plus GPRS/EDGE capabilities
    09-22-10 04:16 PM
    OK...

#Unlock
    #Ensure entel have blackberry data plan (yes)
    #Maybe need to change to entel data settings (will go into a larger store to ask over the weekend)
    #Check support for BIS (what is BIS?)
    #Check band compatibility from US model and compare with Entel bands

Sweet... Will look into all those things.

Cheers!
    09-22-10 05:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD