Blackberry's twitter feed just posted this.

RIM has received positive feedback on PlayBook results from our main retail partners StreetInsider.com - Research In Motion (RIMM) Fights Back Against Negative PlayBook Rumors
    05-20-11 02:02 PM
    250,000 is quite a lot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-11 02:19 PM
    Read the article.

"RIM also confirmed it will provide a business update on BlackBerry PlayBook results on June 16."

There are no figures mentioned in this article.
    05-20-11 02:52 PM
    250,000? That's it?

Seriously... you want to be a major player in the tablet market and you manage to sell only 250,000?

Give me a break.... 250,000 sold while 150,000 have been returned.
    really? you have the figures RIM hasnt given out yet? go you
    05-20-11 02:58 PM
    250,000? That's it?

Seriously... you want to be a major player in the tablet market and you manage to sell only 250,000?

Give me a break.... 250,000 sold while 150,000 have been returned.
    Troll alert!

Why are you here?

They have sold more then the Xoom....you need to look at the facts
    and stop trolling just for the heck of it.

Tim
    05-20-11 03:07 PM
    Then you get this repeated places like here:

Has the BlackBerry Playbook flopped? | ZDNet

Suggestion to "journalists", bloggers, etc. I instead if posting flimsy hearsay rumors and then escaping responsibility by making the headline into question form, how about finding some real facts.
    05-20-11 03:10 PM
    Did you noticed the "Update" (eat crow segment)

UPDATE: This in from a RIM spokesperson:

The source of the reported comment is anonymous and unknown to RIM, but the comment is certainly inconsistent with the positive feedback we have received from our main retail partners. As previously indicated, RIM will provide a business update on BlackBerry PlayBook results on June 16.

There's an associated statement by Best Buy:

Best Buy has had great success selling BlackBerry smartphones in North America, so our sales expectations for the BlackBerry PlayBook were very high. To date, we have far exceeded those expectations and we're finding that customers are even more interested in purchasing once they've tested the PlayBook in the store.

So, strong denial that PlayBook sales have been weak, but no numbers.]

Tim
    05-20-11 03:15 PM
    Did you noticed the "Update" (eat crow segment)

UPDATE: This in from a RIM spokesperson:

The source of the reported comment is anonymous and unknown to RIM, but the comment is certainly inconsistent with the positive feedback we have received from our main retail partners. As previously indicated, RIM will provide a business update on BlackBerry PlayBook results on June 16.

There's an associated statement by Best Buy:

Best Buy has had great success selling BlackBerry smartphones in North America, so our sales expectations for the BlackBerry PlayBook were very high. To date, we have far exceeded those expectations and we're finding that customers are even more interested in purchasing once they've tested the PlayBook in the store.

So, strong denial that PlayBook sales have been weak, but no numbers.]

Tim
    that's what they are going to announce on Jun 16th, read it carefully
    05-20-11 04:38 PM
    I find all the numbers a bit meaningless. I mean it's better than other tablets not named the iPad can claim, but it will mean a lot more if it can continue at that pace on a consistent basis.
    05-20-11 06:57 PM
    They have sold more then the Xoom....you need to look at the facts
    If RIM has not announced ANY numbers, how can your statement be considered a fact?

You have to understand the target audience.

Tier One: BlackBerry Owners: These are people that CHOSE the BlackBerry as their preferred platform. They will open their wallets for new, competitive devices such as touch screen, tablet forms, etc. I would think this is RIM's primary target.

Tier Two: BlackBerry Users: These are people that were given BB's by their company. They will buy a PlayBook ONLY if they get re-imbursed, since the BB phone they have is not theirs either.

Tier Three: Non-BlackBerry Users: This is the tough sell group. Consumers will look at the number of apps, the large screen, and the brand. Not to mention price comparisons. iOS vs QNX is a non-issue to the average consumer. Multi-tasking also is a non-issue as how many people want to do more than one thing (outside of listening to music) at the same time while another app is running in the background and draining its battery. Flash is outdated tech made for mice. Adobe did a major fail when they weren't able to produce a viable solution for Flash on mobile devices. They did not see the desktop-class browser (and touch interface) coming. It was just recently that Adobe caved in and developed a tool called Wallaby that will convert FLA files to HTML. This is all the ad agencies need to get their ads viewed on iOS devices. And believe me, they will use it!

RIM has built a product that is not only late to market, but is obviously in catch-up mode. Until they start to seriously target Tier Three, by PROVING how secure QNX in everyday use and build an ecosystem, the PlayBook will remain inside the walled garden of diehard Rimmers.

JMHO.
    Last edited by sosumi11; 05-20-11 at 08:23 PM.
    05-20-11 08:20 PM
    Then you get this repeated places like here:

Has the BlackBerry Playbook flopped? | ZDNet

Suggestion to "journalists", bloggers, etc. I instead if posting flimsy hearsay rumors and then escaping responsibility by making the headline into question form, how about finding some real facts.
    ZDNet is in a race with BGR to the bottom of the credibility trash can. I don't need any more proof of that or that the PlayBook is off to a solid start.
    Quote: the PlayBook will be a slow burn at first due to low initial advertising catching on fire once word of mouth and more aggressive advertising catches on. RIM understands that people are going to love the PlayBook once they try it! Thats what the IFans are so worked up about and doing their best to stymie. My thoughts: Its to late loosers...
    05-20-11 10:22 PM
    [QUOTE=sosumi11;6346872RIM has built a product that is not only late to market, but is obviously in catch-up mode. Until they start to seriously target Tier Three, by PROVING how secure QNX in everyday use and build an ecosystem, the PlayBook will remain inside the walled garden of diehard Rimmers.

JMHO.[/QUOTE]

Do you think they need to prove their security very hard when Sony and Android and even Google is making it on the news about their security issues?
    Or even Apple tracking all the users and sending info back to apple servers in unencrypted files??

I know personally I would never be able to trust those devices with any of my information.
    05-20-11 10:45 PM
    Do you think they need to prove their security very hard when Sony and Android and even Google is making it on the news about their security issues?
    Or even Apple tracking all the users and sending info back to apple servers in unencrypted files??.
    RIM has to prove that there actually is a security issue. Windows users have been buying virus protection for decades and don't seem to mind.

Sony's issues are due to carelessness. I personally don't think they will recover from this. Nobody will trust them.

Google's Android is an unmonitored platform. Google could care less how bad Android is or how many holes it has. They are the new Microsoft in that "it's not our problem, it's yours." Google's only focus is to get their software on as many devices as they can. They need it to collect demographic data and sell it to advertisers.

Apple's "tracking" is an overblown story. Apple has no need to track users outside of collecting wifi towers data for triangulation. Apple has over 200 million credit cards on file. Not one case of breach. This is the kind of data that consumers can relate to. Who cares if this data is unencrypted when the only way to access this data is by having a copy of your back-up files which are on your computer in your home? If someone does have access to your home computer, viewing which cell towers you were accessing would be the least of your worries.
    05-21-11 03:02 AM
    Just wait till the crypto engine is FIPS approved this summer and the native e-mail to the BES is working. Then RIM will have the only FIPS approved tablet on the market which will give it a boost in sales on the Government side of the house.
    05-21-11 09:50 AM
    If RIM has not announced ANY numbers, how can your statement be considered a fact?

JMHO.
    All publicly listed companies have a protocol to adhere to when announcing results/outlook/trading statements. They don't come and announce information as and when they wish.

Be patient, June 16th is their quarterly update and all will be known.
    05-21-11 04:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD