Needless to say, we greatly appreciate the effort of our beta testers. The feedback we received in the previous round of testing was instrumental in prioritizing features on the product roadmap and identifying some quick areas of improvement. Although we’ve focused on the latter in this maintenance release, we’re hoping beta testers will enjoy this updated version as it includes several user-requested features. Keep reading for details!

Updated Map Data: Many testers previously requested an update to the BlackBerry Traffic map data to account for newer roads and developing areas, improve route selection and maneuvers, and provide better ETA and traffic data. To address these concerns, the BlackBerry Traffic map data has been updated and includes the following enhancements:

Over a million new searchable addresses
    Thousands of miles of new back roads
    Dozens of new highway construction projects
    Over a 130,000 miles of verified speed limits
    Make sure to discuss your findings related to the updated map with other beta testers here!

*Note that these enhancements may not immediately result in optimal route selection, improved maneuvers or more accurate ETA and traffic data. We are asking you to use the application consistently to help build better traffic data. Over time, you’ll start to see improvements in all of these areas and more.

Added “Exit” option to the BlackBerry menu screen: Beta testers previously reported having difficulties closing the application, or ensuring it was no longer running in the background. We’ve addressed this concern by adding an “Exit” option to the BlackBerry menu screen and would love to know if this change meets your needs – be sure to click here and let us know!

Fixed “app not responding” issues on BlackBerry Storm 2 devices: Calling all BlackBerry Storm 2 smartphone users – with this fix, you should now be able to use the application without sudden interruptions in service. As always, we’d love for you to validate this fix for us - do you find that the application is more stable now? Are you running into any other issues you’d like to bring to our attention? Make sure to share your findings with us here!

Minor UI updates and improvements: If you’re an avid BlackBerry Traffic user, you may notice some minor UI tweaks in this latest release. We won’t reveal exactly what has changed (what’s the fun in that?), but we’d love to know if you can spot the differences.

You can participate and download from here!
    sedalia066 likes this.
    06-14-11 02:22 PM
    Nice. I will post feedback once I test it a few times.
    06-14-11 03:03 PM
    Nice going. This is an app my wife and I use regularly when we travel. Highly recommended. Last trek we found our way to strange places without a hitch. Even the travel time was accurate. We will be happy to try the updates and keep on recommending this app for all BB owners.
    06-14-11 03:45 PM
    still no turn by turn navigation. Don't understand how RIM just either doesn't get it, or is incapable of delivering. Combine BBMaps and BB traffic and include turn bu turn directions like most other platforms. BB maps is more than 6+ years old, and turn by turn has been around on other platforms for years. Further to that, Verizon and Garmin has shown for 3+ years that turn by turn can be exceptrionally well done on BB. If VZW and Garmin can program for this, why can't RIM engineers? Either RIM's programmers aren't worth $.02 or the direction they are getting from the management teams aren't worth $.02.
    06-14-11 03:52 PM
    still no turn by turn navigation. Don't understand how RIM just either doesn't get it, or is incapable of delivering. Combine BBMaps and BB traffic and include turn bu turn directions like most other platforms. BB maps is more than 6+ years old, and turn by turn has been around on other platforms for years. Further to that, Verizon and Garmin has shown for 3+ years that turn by turn can be exceptrionally well done on BB. If VZW and Garmin can program for this, why can't RIM engineers? Either RIM's programmers aren't worth $.02 or the direction they are getting from the management teams aren't worth $.02.
    Yeah, blame RIM when US carriers are charging $10-15/mo for it. Brilliant logic!

Sprint, AT&T, US Cellular, VZW...
    06-14-11 05:31 PM
    yeah, i just saw that it was on there. about to check it out. thanks for posting

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-11 05:35 PM
    Really? RIM was first to integrate a mapping application in its OS. Android and IOS copied and quickly morphed their apps into fully featured turn by turn voice navigation. For free. As part of their Os. Windows did the same recently with Bing. Other applications have done this on the BB OS and quote well. RIM does not update maps, but instead chooses to launch a co-dependent separate app which still does less than its competitors in the same space. This has nothing to do with what anyone charges.
    I will take it that you're a little slow, np shame in that, so please read my posts again. There is no one else to hold responsible here. I don't blame RIM- I expect more than what they've shown recently.

06-14-11 05:45 PM
    Really? RIM was first to integrate a mapping application in its OS. Android and IOS copied and quickly morphed their apps into fully featured turn by turn voice navigation. For free. As part of their Os. Windows did the same recently with Bing. Other applications have done this on the BB OS and quote well. RIM does not update maps, but instead chooses to launch a co-dependent separate app which still does less than its competitors in the same space. This has nothing to do with what anyone charges.
    I will take it that you're a little slow, np shame in that, so please read my posts again. There is no one else to hold responsible here. I don't blame RIM- I expect more than what they've shown recently.

Wow, fantastic response...complete with a personal attack! I guess carrier application blocking means nothing...oh, and Traffic works without BIS and it does turn-by-turn without voice and is being updated consistently but those must not play into the equation.

Another troll for the ol' ignore list...thanks Crackberry.
    06-14-11 05:58 PM
    1. So typical. Close in the echo chamber.
    2. Carrier is not blocking turn by turn voice navigation. I have garmin maps and it works great. Bought it for an Storm and Storm 2.
    3. Traffic is like the text version of a web page. RIM has maps. They could- they should have overlaid traffic over maps. It shows fragmentation at best and is a poor option to what is offered on other platforms. I merely pointed out that RIM should have put more effort here. They are not including these featured in the next final release. Has nothing to do with carriers. No carrier has blocked android, iOS, or windows mapping app. Or garmin on BB.

06-14-11 06:14 PM
    North America only. What a surprise. RIM, this is getting tedious now.
    06-14-11 06:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD