I was just given a Blackberry 8820 with AT&T service by my company. I've heard that they can track where the phone is since it has GPS? Is this phone trackable? Also, is there any way to tell if they installed an aftermarket tracking software or hardware? Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the replies so far. Im adding a little to this post. If I change the SIM card, can they still track it? I guess I need to know if they track the actual phone? or do they track it by the number? Does that make sense. Also, as far as them running BES, if I change the SIM card does that cancel that out? Thanks again.
    Last edited by grooms22; 05-10-08 at 04:08 PM.
    05-10-08 03:30 PM
    All cell phones are trackable to a degree based on cell tower signals....it has nothing to do with whether or not your phone has GPS. I don't believe your employer can track the phone without contacting the carrier.
    05-10-08 03:34 PM
    Welcome to CB. A little paranoid? I would always assume that any phone is trackable. Even if it doesn't have GPS, a phone's locations can be found by triangulating the cell tower signal. If your company is operating BES, then they can see anything on your phone and do anything they want with your phone.
    05-10-08 03:35 PM
    Welcome to CB. My advice with work phones keep it clean then you have no worries. Unless you tell them you are at home sick and reallly on the golf course and they track you there.
    05-10-08 03:48 PM
    yeah my old job was able to track me worked anywhere and everywhere on underground utilities in detroit ...and when I was sent to Philly for a month they knew when i was close ..but then again I didnt worry about it cuz I didn't lie to them anyway
    05-10-08 05:37 PM
    Welcome to CB. My advice with work phones keep it clean then you have no worries. Unless you tell them you are at home sick and reallly on the golf course and they track you there.
    Unless you live on a golf course. Let them track me!
    05-10-08 05:57 PM
    Welcome to CB. A little paranoid? I would always assume that any phone is trackable. Even if it doesn't have GPS, a phone's locations can be found by triangulating the cell tower signal. If your company is operating BES, then they can see anything on your phone and do anything they want with your phone.
    Welcome to the Crack!
    In other words. Give them a Days Work for a Days Pay, and the rest is simple.
    05-10-08 09:08 PM
    Put the phone in a big ball of aluminum foil. See what they can do now. Hahahaha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-08 12:22 PM
    Put the phone in a big ball of aluminum foil. See what they can do now. Hahahaha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Will the phone able to receive/send any call/ email/ sms is you do this though?
    05-11-08 12:39 PM
    Why would you care? If you are doing something you know is wrong, stop.
    05-11-08 03:23 PM
    LOL! Are you trying to get something over on them? I can't see them actually tracking you unless they already think you're doing something shady.
    05-11-08 04:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD