Strictly hypothetically:

Today is February 1st, 2013, and we are getting the bb10 devices with:

A good version of 10.2, like 1047

Thor paid the respective developers with house money to make native or perfectly working versions of candy crush saga, instagram, vine, and snap chat. All are available in the app world.

Facebook was the current update, not the preloaded junk that came on the phone.

The random reboot situation was cleared up.

Where is BlackBerry going to be at in August? Is this enough to get people to try the new platform?

What about 5 years ago when apple started running away with it? (Btw, I don't care that android is currently winning the sales war, iPhone 5 has been out for a while now, and the latest iteration will be very telling - for all companies)

Where was the innovative technology in 2007? 2010? We have some cool stuff now, but why so late?

What about if the acquisition of TaT showed up on this os release? Would first glance give you enough curiosity to pick it up?

What if, upon release, you could emulate old bbos software? Could you have brought the devoted over with the ability to install a jad file?

What about going back and including quite a few features that we liked on bbos? I'm still waiting for os controlled led color changing for different notifications.

What I'm getting at here, is we're all hoping for a comeback for the company, but it doesn't seem like they have the sense of urgency needed to push the stuff out.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 04:07 PM
    They would probably be in a hugely better spot. Sales would certainly be much higher but cant say how high but cetainly better. BB couldnt hold off to get the software where it is though and well, we still dont have instagram and various others that most assumed would be here by now.
    08-12-13 04:31 PM
    What exactly is stopping them from gambling on paying some of these guys to make software?

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 04:36 PM
    Quality over quantity maybe?

Posted via CB10 from my Q10 (SQN100-3)
    08-12-13 08:35 PM
    What exactly is stopping them from gambling on paying some of these guys to make software?
    They've tried. The app companies aren't interested in cash; they want to see MARKETSHARE before they commit resources. Supporting an additional platform is not a one-time expense, but rather an on-going expense that requires hiring a bunch of FTEs. Without the marketshare to support them and still make a profit, they simply have no interest.
    08-12-13 09:09 PM
    They've tried. The app companies aren't interested in cash; they want to see MARKETSHARE before they commit resources. Supporting an additional platform is not a one-time expense, but rather an on-going expense that requires hiring a bunch of FTEs. Without the marketshare to support them and still make a profit, they simply have no interest.
    It's a catch 22..... most of these big companies could pay 1 employee for the day to convert an android version and submit to bbw.... instead of just side loading apks that we converted to bars

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 10:02 PM
    And then when said app is downloaded and used they will see market share

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 10:03 PM
    It's a catch 22..... most of these big companies could pay 1 employee for the day to convert an android version and submit to bbw.... instead of just side loading apks that we converted to bars

Posted via CB10
    As was stated it isn't just about building or porting an existing app. The also have to support it, have people test it on the platform, and to be able to answer problems that users on that platform may experience. Then once you are supporting a platform, your obligated to keep pushing out updates which requires more testing and training... for a big app like Instagram that might easily be millions each year.

Posted via CB10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    08-12-13 10:12 PM
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stor...y-options.html

Who would buy Blackberry?

Posted via the best Keyboard in Existence my Mo Fo Z10
    08-12-13 10:21 PM
    Yea I don't know if your obligated to do anything...

Send an android port if they see 1 million downloads then it's worth it for them to either support with native or fix bugs on the port

What if BlackBerry had a huge market share and they said ok.. here its in bbw, but Noone installs this said app... then it's a loss cause...

Like I said it's a catch 22

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 10:25 PM
    OP forgot to mention that BlackBerry would be excellent shape today if they had just put BB10 on the Playbook as per so many posters here ( that was least of their problems).
    08-12-13 10:32 PM
    OP forgot to mention that BlackBerry would be excellent shape today if they had just put BB10 on the Playbook as per so many posters here ( that was least of their problems).
    Yea then it would leapfrog the competition

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 10:43 PM
    One point twenty one jigawatts! Where are we going to get that kind of power?

The hard part is convincing devs to support a new platform especially after the events of webOS...

BlackBerry time machine...what would be different?-back-future-2.jpg

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 10:48 PM
    Take a time machine back to 2008 and stop the Blackberry Storm from ever being released. Hell, go even farther back and stop the device early enough in development so that there were no prototype leaks and the public never would hear of it. Those clowns really really really believed and pushed the Storm as a legitimate alternative to the iPhone. Forget about the iPhone, the Storm couldn't even be taken seriously as a legitimate Blackberry.
    Acidwire likes this.
    08-12-13 11:41 PM
    They'd still be in the same position. Blackberry is in this mess due to poor business practices.
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    08-12-13 11:59 PM
    Take a time machine back to 2008 and stop the Blackberry Storm from ever being released. Hell, go even farther back and stop the device early enough in development so that there were no prototype leaks and the public never would hear of it. Those clowns really really really believed and pushed the Storm as a legitimate alternative to the iPhone. Forget about the iPhone, the Storm couldn't even be taken seriously as a legitimate Blackberry.
    I like my storm... I just wish it had better software that's all..

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 12:34 PM
    Would have bought palm in 2010 instead of QNX in 2011.

By fall 2011 all BlackBerry phones would have been running that OS and there would have been five models.

A base Curve(running stripped webOS)

Three midrange phones, the Torch(Pre3), Onyx(slab all touch phone) and Treo(basically the current Q10 mixed with 99xx running WebOS).

One top end phone the Bold which would have been a Note competitor.

Why this move instead of QNX? Simple WebOS was further along and already on hardware. It was very advanced for its time but didn't have the funding it needed to really excel. Back then BlackBerry still had the position and cash to do this. They could have been out over a year earlier.

Palm was also a leader at the time in developing things like inductive charging on their phones, had a great tablet companion for the PlayBook and a leap on QNX in app development. Their phones were excellent multi taskers u at as QNX IS now doing.

By launching these phones in 2011 which wasn't possible with QNX at the time they would have been able to get email, BBM and so forth the main strong points of bbos on a platform that could have handled it. They also wouldn't have lost so much time or market share. They could have spent their time doing what they are doing now simply focusing on the parts if BlackBerry that users wanted to have.

Windows would not have been able to mount a challenge and I think we would be looking at a very different landscape right now. Am I glad I have the QNX platform now? Yes but do I think it could have been done better with webOS and much sooner with a more complete product oh yes.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 01:12 PM
    I don't agree, they did the right thing by bringing the Storm to market n 2008, people wanted this device. It had a lot of hype going in and looked really awesome. Unfortunately, it had a lot of things lacking and ended up being a nightmare. The Storm 2 was a much more solid device. If only the Storm was a success, we wouldn't be where we are today.

With that being said, I absolutely loved my Storm since it was my first smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 01:38 PM