12-10-10 04:53 PM
    I believe the torch is selling well for at&t.
    12-10-10 04:56 PM
    I wouldn't say that they're tanking, the market is growing at a fast rate, besides I don't think R.I.M's sales are declining.
    12-10-10 05:08 PM
    12-10-10 05:10 PM
    They'll tank even more if the iPhone comes to VZW. Even Android will tank at that point. Regular consumers (non-tech savvy ones) are buying into Android now as part of a stop gap measure of them not being able to get/use an iPhone. If they could choose between all three platforms regardless of carrier affiliation, they'd choose iPhone.

I don't like it either, but it's the reality and truth of the matter.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    homer1475 likes this.
    12-11-10 01:36 AM
    They'll tank even more if the iPhone comes to VZW. Even Android will tank at that point. Regular consumers (non-tech savvy ones) are buying into Android now as part of a stop gap measure of them not being able to get/use an iPhone. If they could choose between all three platforms regardless of carrier affiliation, they'd choose iPhone.

yep that is so true. and i assume people on ATT will flock over here too
    12-11-10 01:39 AM
    As a carrier, ya gotta go with what will draw the customers in. Right now, VZW has been able to draw people in with what Android can do. For BlackBerry, they're showcasing they can get one on the cheap, and get another one free. Whatever it takes to draw customers in. Once they're in, it's up to sales people to push people to the higher margin items, like high end Droids.
    12-11-10 01:42 AM

The only reality depicted is a return to normalization for RIM. Aren't you curious why RIM starts out at near 100% of Verizon's smartphone share? Do any of you wonder what was happening in the sector? Could it be the collapse of Palm? Or perhaps the abandonment of WinMo? I'm sure if ITG were to extend their graph two years prior you would see those same Android manufacturers having a similar share of Verizon's market as they do now. But that carries no drama so why consider the real reality?

12-11-10 01:45 AM
    It all depends on customer's choice, either they're sheeple or smart, and know what to choose. If they're not tech or web-savvy, they'll best be with a feature phone, as those are basic smart phones (I'm right at some points here), cause there are feature symbian and WM phones too, even an early windmobile phone is android 1.2 powered, it's not even a smartphone!

12-11-10 06:31 AM
    It all depends on customer's choice, either they're sheeple or smart, and know what to choose. If they're not tech or web-savvy, they'll best be with a feature phone, as those are basic smart phones (I'm right at some points here), cause there are feature symbian and WM phones too, even an early windmobile phone is android 1.2 powered, it's not even a smartphone!

A sheeple is who? Someone who buys an android, apple or blackberry?
    12-11-10 07:37 AM
    A sheeple is who? Someone who buys an android, apple or blackberry?
    Sheeple=purchases from pure hype or without thinking before making a purchase or following short-lived trends and then, weeks later, finding out, learning and not doing that anymore, or, doing it again with every single new device that hits the shelves. In turn, it drives up debt, loads of it.

12-11-10 07:42 AM
    My momas name is sheeple-what have I done to u,to make u talk about my moma?I'm gonna tell her what u said Lol!!!! :-)

12-11-10 07:48 AM
    Sheeple=purchases from pure hype or without thinking before making a purchase or following short-lived trends and then, weeks later, finding out, learning and not doing that anymore, or, doing it again with every single new device that hits the shelves. In turn, it drives up debt, loads of it.

Um..isn't that the point of the billions and billions spent on advertersing. To obfuscate the truth and blindly have us purchase said products?

Honestly, given your definition of "sheeple", don't know any adult who does that. Most people have a solid reason for purchasing their phone. Even if you would not agree with their reasons. (I see a lot of this type thought process on car boards, when people say I got a Camry, they are called the same type of condescending name. Some people believe if you buy a Toyota you've been brainwashed, which is essentially what you are saying)

I think teenagers exhibit this type of behavior. The 15 year olds who get iphone or blackberry do fit your definition, because they buy what their friends have bought.

Anyway a "sheeple" is good for the manufacturer. These days you can't return a phone unless you pay a restocking fee. So why do you say it drives up debt?
    Last edited by i7guy; 12-11-10 at 07:58 AM.
    12-11-10 07:55 AM

It simply wont be a landslide against Android, otherwise Android would have already died outside the US market. Android "should have" tanked in the European market since Apple is multi-carrier but it has not, its growth is still eclipsing iOS.

Apple isn't going to walk through the VZW door and start pimp slapping the **** out of everyone (maybe RIM, cause they are used to getting beat down now). RIM got beat down because they didnt have anything to compete against the wave of high tier Android devices, and still dont.

Droid X/Galaxy S/Incredible/Droid 2/Droid Pro/Upcoming dual core LTE LG Star/whatever else vs iPhone? Not exactly going to be a walk in the park, especially as when the iPhone does drop even better devices will be out
    Last edited by devildrifterX; 12-11-10 at 09:36 AM.
    dutchtender likes this.
    12-11-10 08:43 AM
    Yea I do believe the iPhone will have an impact on Android devices when it comes to VZW, but I don't think it is going to hurt Android so badly like so many people think. Android is gaining more and more ground every day and is becoming more and more recognized. I think many users will buy the iPhone and even switch to the iPhone, but I think Android sales will still remain very high. RIM on the other hand, not until a QNX BB is released do I think sales on VZW will increase.
    12-11-10 09:14 AM
    You would think one would get tired of bashing the ish out of RIM...you and Civic make good points at times and then other times, sound so arrogant and ignorant...not to mention, like a broken record...

We get it bro...

12-11-10 09:20 AM
    I don't think anybody is necessarily bashing RIM. I think folks like to point to Android and say Verizon is pushing Android harder than RIM. That may be true, but RIM made their bed by not using the last 3-4 years to realize how important the web is to consumers and run with it.

OS6 has started to address some of the deficiencies but may be too little too late, at least until QNX based devices come out.

Remember, the majority of consumers are more interested in the web itself and other similar things than push email, especially now that the big 3 of webmail have improved on Android significantly.
    12-11-10 10:59 AM
    It simply wont be a landslide against Android, otherwise Android would have already died outside the US market. Android "should have" tanked in the European market since Apple is multi-carrier but it has not, its growth is still eclipsing iOS.

Apple isn't going to walk through the VZW door and start pimp slapping the **** out of everyone (maybe RIM, cause they are used to getting beat down now). RIM got beat down because they didnt have anything to compete against the wave of high tier Android devices, and still dont.

Droid X/Galaxy S/Incredible/Droid 2/Droid Pro/Upcoming dual core LTE LG Star/whatever else vs iPhone? Not exactly going to be a walk in the park, especially as when the iPhone does drop even better devices will be out
    Verizon folks don't know any better. Trust me, there's a lot of Verizon snobs out there who want an iPhone but refuse to go AT&T. When and if the iPhone hits VZW, they'll flock to the store for one and won't care about anything else. Like I said, a lot of them are on Android now because they're biding their time. While it may not be an all out murder of Android, a lot of people will be buying it. If Android devices sold out on opening weekend, you better believe it that the iPhone will sell out quicker.

As for the global aspect of the iPhone. Apple tech isn't as hot across the pond as it is here.
    12-11-10 11:16 AM
    I don't think anybody is necessarily bashing RIM. I think folks like to point to Android and say Verizon is pushing Android harder than RIM. That may be true, but RIM made their bed by not using the last 3-4 years to realize how important the web is to consumers and run with it.

OS6 has started to address some of the deficiencies but may be too little too late, at least until QNX based devices come out.

Remember, the majority of consumers are more interested in the web itself and other similar things than push email, especially now that the big 3 of webmail have improved on Android significantly.
    I find it interesting that you worded that like you did. Just in the latest PB video with Mike, he's actually indicated that the PB's principal idea is to "bring the web to the people" and that they're wanting to embrace the web and all that is has to offer... which is his reason for why RIM is embracing Flash, Air, etc. and Apple is not.
    12-11-10 11:19 AM
    I find it interesting that you worded that like you did. Just in the latest PB video with Mike, he's actually indicated that the PB's principal idea is to "bring the web to the people" and that they're wanting to embrace the web and all that is has to offer... which is his reason for why RIM is embracing Flash, Air, etc. and Apple is not.
    It is great to see RIM starting to embrace such new technology, but disappointing knowing how much higher their sales had the potential to be if the browser for example was addressed in OS 5 rather than OS 6.

That comment was made regarding their current sales situation. If they're not going to offer new/innovative products but rather stick with refreshing current devices without making "significant" changes (same with the OS progression), then low sales in the consumer market should be their expectation.

I don't mean to say they aren't and/or won't be a current/future contender. I just mean that they lost a ton of potential sales in the consumer market by being slow to adapt/realize the tremendous demand in the market for things like an advanced web browser.

Hopefully they'll be quicker to pick up on trends and address them in the future. If they can do that, I'm sure we'll see less threads like this one. Infact, had they done it previously, there's a chance I wouldn't be an Android user now...
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 12-11-10 at 11:39 AM.
    12-11-10 11:32 AM
    It is great to see RIM starting to embrace such new technology, but disappointing knowing how much higher their sales had the potential to be if the browser for example was addressed in OS 5 rather than OS 6.

That comment was made regarding their current sales situation. If they're not going to offer new/innovative products but rather stick with refreshing current devices without making "significant" changes (same with the OS progression), then low sales in the consumer market should be their expectation.

I don't mean to say they aren't and/or won't be a current/future contender. I just mean that they lost a ton of potential sales in the consumer market by being slow to adapt/realize the tremendous demand in the market for things like an advanced web browser.

Hopefully they'll be quicker to pick up on trends and address them in the future. If they can do that, I'm sure we'll see less threads like this one. Infact, had they done it previously, there's a chance I wouldn't be an Android user now...
    Its sad S2 is the highest RIM offering on Verizon. My tour was a disaster, all 4 of them. But I see nowhere to go other than to wait this out.

s2 works like a charm. I would like a better browser but the current version works okay. With android and iphone the grass is greener, imo.

So what to do. What I really want is a trackpad on the device.

I have until April 2011 to see what I want to do.

12-11-10 12:03 PM
    I suspect Android sales will plummet big time if iPhone comes to Big Red. Android can do so well on their network because there really is nothing to compete with on that network
    12-11-10 12:08 PM
    I suspect Android sales will plummet big time if iPhone comes to Big Red. Android can do so well on their network because there really is nothing to compete with on that network
    they won't plummet but they will be affected. don't forget that ip really only is one form factor. people want choice. they want keyboards. they want bigger screens than 3.5. they want google services tied to the phone like navigation, gmail. it's a two horse race. rimm is in a multi-horse race for "third"...
    Last edited by dutchtender; 12-11-10 at 03:00 PM.
    12-11-10 12:15 PM
    You know what will be funny, hopefully...is the same peeps that started out on a Rim device and got tired of it and went to another platform all to dog BB's in general...eventually come back to say how much BB has come through, blah, blah, blah...I can see it now...I really can.

By the way, speaking of multi-tasking, my BB has "true" multi-tasking, lol!

12-11-10 12:34 PM
    You know what will be funny, hopefully...is the same peeps that started out on a Rim device and got tired of it and went to another platform all to dog BB's in general...eventually come back to say how much BB has come through, blah, blah, blah...I can see it now...I really can.

By the way, speaking of multi-tasking, my BB has "true" multi-tasking, lol!

Know why we dog RIM? Because they deserve it thanks to their lack of innovation and foresight into what consumers were/are/would be interested in from a future device). As you know, I've had 2 different BB's. They couldn't cut it (for me) in the web department and in OS development/selection of apps, so I moved to a different platform.

The smart ones among us former BB users, being most of us, will keep an eye on what RIM does and aren't necessarily opposed to moving back when RIM produces a device/OS/etc that meets our needs better than what we currently have.

I don't think being annoyed at the relative lack of innovation in the last 3-4 years in any way means we're biased against RIM. I think it just means they drove us out of their product lineup by not offering what we (as consumers who wanted more advancement than we had been getting) demanded from them. It doesn't mean they can't get us back as customers by coming out and swinging for the fences so to speak rather than just bunting every at bat...
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 12-11-10 at 12:56 PM.
    corymcnutt and stuaw11 like this.
    12-11-10 12:50 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD