Actually people buy RIM products for their own reasons, of which, you no nothing about.
    rim does seem to have a number of passionately loyal customers. and it's been hard to figure out "why" given the competitive landscape. but what tends to happen is a few people head for the door. others take notice and begin to follow. soon panic ensues and people want "out" "now"....that could happen as BBM lists get smaller and smaller.
    12-12-10 12:53 PM
    I wouldn't say BB is tanking but there just isn't a lot of options. When you walk into a vzw store the main selection for smartphones is android. They have phones at different levels depending upon what the user needs and wants. If you just walk in with no preference and say I want an inexpensive android there's the Lg Ally. Which I believe is like $50 now. if you want middle of the road they have that. If you want high end you have the incredible, droid x, droid 2 global, and droid pro. Now BB on the other hand there just isn't a lot of choices. I personally blame that on rim. They see these android phones coming out one after the other. There had at least 10 phones that hit the market since the summer. BB since the summer has released the Bold 9650, style 9670, 3G Curve, the torch, and now the 9780. If your a vzw customer and a real BB user your not thinking about a curve. So that leaves the storm 2 on which you can't upgrade to BB6 and the Bold 9650. Bottom line Rim has got to get competitive options out. The next BB to hit vzw looks like its going to be the storm 3. Now seeing as though the 4g network is up and running this one looks to be a 4g phone. Which means you probably won't see it until late winter at least. Which means more trouble for rim because Vzw plans on bringing the iphone aboard early next year. Which has the potential to be there biggest selling phone to date. You'll get people bailing from AT&T to get that for sure. How many times have you heard someone say that they love there iphone but hate AT&T. All I can say is stay tuned.......
    12-12-10 01:48 PM
    rim does seem to have a number of passionately loyal customers. and it's been hard to figure out "why" given the competitive landscape. but what tends to happen is a few people head for the door. others take notice and begin to follow. soon panic ensues and people want "out" "now"....that could happen as BBM lists get smaller and smaller.
    Using myself as an example, you can't give me a good enough reason to go to android. While I may be atypical, if RIM goes down the drain I would go with a Windows Mobile 7 device.
    12-12-10 02:59 PM
    You are saying BBs don't drop calls? My 8330 always dropped calls on Sprint..like at least 10 a day (that's why they waived my ETF). My Bold 9000 use to drop calls as well, a few a week. Same with all 5 9700s I went through in a few weeks. I have dropped calls. AT&T has great coverage in my area. I dropped more calls with my iPhone 3G and 3GS though. I dropped one or two calls with my Droid and have not dropped ANY calls with my Droid X since I got it on release day.

BBs drop calls. I don't understand what's so hard to believe. Every device can drop calls. I am enjoying the dual antenna design in my DX though. Highest call quality and signal strength out of any device I have ever used. including all the new BBs. Are you going to say no one beats BB in call quality and signal strength as well?
    mmm, you must have a SUPER phone then
    https://supportforums.motorola.com/t...rt=15&tstart=0
    I VERY rarely drop calls on my Torch but to say that it has not dropped ANY calls is a bit of a stretch.
    12-12-10 04:20 PM
    mmm, you must have a SUPER phone then
    https://supportforums.motorola.com/t...rt=15&tstart=0
    I VERY rarely drop calls on my Torch but to say that it has not dropped ANY calls is a bit of a stretch.
    Just because some devices have problems doesn't mean all do. Super phone because I have yet to drop a call? Nah. It is more luck than anything. You are bound to drop a call with ANY device. I have only dropped a few calls in the year+ I have been with VZW. I am in really good coverage. I'm sure the DX can drop calls (actually positive it can), I just haven't YET with this device.

The fact that someone thinks BBs don't drop calls is just absurd.
    12-12-10 04:24 PM
    Just because some devices have problems doesn't mean all do. Super phone because I have yet to drop a call? Nah. It is more luck than anything. You are bound to drop a call with ANY device. I have only dropped a few calls in the year+ I have been with VZW. I am in really good coverage. I'm sure the DX can drop calls (actually positive it can), I just haven't YET with this device.

The fact that someone thinks BBs don't drop calls is just absurd.
    True enough...ALL phones drop calls ocasionally
    12-12-10 04:43 PM
    True enough...ALL phones drop calls ocasionally
    Exactly my point. To believe the BB brand can't drop calls is just insane. No smartphone has 100% connection rate. EVERY smartphone released has dropped a call. Maybe not for some people, but they have in general.
    12-12-10 04:51 PM
    I dropped more calls on my D1 in 2 mos. than I ever did on 2yrs with my BBs. Dropped calls are usually device (not brand/model) specific. I dropped more calls on OS4 than either OS5 or 6
    12-12-10 10:38 PM
    I have had the opposite experience with my family's 3 phones. After dropping BB for Android phones, I do not recall the last time we dropped a call. In fact the reception on the Droids is so strong, that I was shocked at work - where I never got a 3G signal with a BB to all of a sudden start getting my emails. Now I have 2-3 bars of 3G service where BBs had zero. No doubt about it - the Droids have much better reception.
    12-14-10 09:45 AM
    I have read with great interest this thread and for me, it comes down to what works for me.

I've been a blackberry user for several years. Had a first generation pearl...then a curve...then a tour...and now a storm 1. By the way my storm works great with 5.0.0.328....it's just getting old and it's time to replace it.

I've wanted very badly to wait on a storm3....i've looked each day for months, for concrete word that it was coming....or even really exists. As a deputy sheriff and a supervisor of several other officers, a smart phone is almost a necessary piece of equipment for me. I've wanted to stay with a blackberry but I dont think I can.

Blackberry for some reason has seemed to say, "this is what we are....no one does what we do the way we do it. this is what you're gonna get"

Bad idea.

I've seen posters comment that kids don't need blackberrys....and you're right...they dont. The thing is kids WANT them and if mom and dad are willing to spend the money...what should RIM care? It's all about making that dollar dollar bill right? Take the sale and be happy. However, their friends all have android phones....they are cooler than blackberry....

Demographics have changed. Alot of buisness users want the push e-mail capabilities of blackberry....and no one does it better. They also want the entertainment aspect of the cooler android phones. What I cannot understand is why RIM cannot see this. Certainly they have the people to make it happen. For example....the rumored strom 3 would be no less of a powerhouse than a droid x or incredible. They should have done this a couple years ago. American consumers do not like stagnation. RIM has been the same old thing for years.

The torch is doing well for ATT. But not like anyone had hoped. OS 6 is not what everyone was hoping for. It's pretty much the same thing with a few tweeks and several screens or folders to put things.

I've waited for months for RIM to come around. I love my blackberry but it's dated. My Verizon upgrade date is January 4, 2011. On that day, unless some miracle happens and the storm 3 comes out with a big bang before then, I plan to buy an HTC Droid Incredible. Yes there will be a huge learning curve for a darn near 46 year old man...lol....but even if storm 3 ever comes out with the QNX OS.....that would be too.

I hope one of these days storm 3 will be real.....and I can get one. It's rumored to be great. But it's a rumor....the droid incredible is real.
    12-16-10 09:07 AM
    If Android devices sold out on opening weekend, you better believe it that the iPhone will sell out quicker.
    I don't doubt your words, I just simply cannot see the big draw to an iPhone. Boggles my mind how popular that thing is, but that's coming from one who tried Apple, didn't like it and never plans on going back.
    12-17-10 01:59 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD