Seeing the Samsung Galaxy S3 adds online, I've heard a lot of people talk about the S-Beam, even though most don't know what it really is. It's interesting the affect of marketing, but I must admit the SG3 adds are quite amusing.

My question is, is the speed at which they transfer files over NFC using S-Beam actually as fast as they show? I understand it's marketing so maybe it's not quite what they portray, so maybe someone who's tried it can weigh in.

If it is actually that quick, how come Blackberry Tag isn't? My friend and I transferred a song using Tag, both with 9900's, and it took 3-4 minutes. Maybe it will be faster on BB10, I just don't know and am hoping someone can better explain it!
    10-27-12 11:25 AM
    Larger the file, longer the transfer.

So videos and songs will take some time, pictures will go faster.
    10-27-12 11:46 AM
    It's using the exact same technology, so I can't see there being any difference in data transfer rates between the devices.

The "tag" or "beam" is only there to establish the connection between the devices, after that (I believe), it's all done through Bluetooth.. although Bluetooth4 may help I guess.

Si.
    10-27-12 11:50 AM
    I've red a review of the SGIII in GSMArena and they've tried the S-Beam if its really up for the game, but unfortunately no, the one that you see in the ads are just kinda bit exaggerated. (referring to the transfer rates of the S-Beam)
    10-28-12 02:40 AM
    Why don't you just do a simple yt video search and see for yourself? I've used it personally and find it useful, straightforward and fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    aha and nneal like this.
    10-28-12 07:53 AM
    Seeing the Samsung Galaxy S3 adds online, I've heard a lot of people talk about the S-Beam, even though most don't know what it really is. It's interesting the affect of marketing, but I must admit the SG3 adds are quite amusing.

My question is, is the speed at which they transfer files over NFC using S-Beam actually as fast as they show? I understand it's marketing so maybe it's not quite what they portray, so maybe someone who's tried it can weigh in.

If it is actually that quick, how come Blackberry Tag isn't? My friend and I transferred a song using Tag, both with 9900's, and it took 3-4 minutes. Maybe it will be faster on BB10, I just don't know and am hoping someone can better explain it!
    A typical MP3 transfers in about 5-10 seconds.

The GSIII uses two technologies: NFC and Wifi Direct. NFC is used for pairing, and Wifi direct for the file transfer. Files are thus transferred at wifi speeds. The transfer rate itself is very fast, but the setup and pairing is slow.

Samsung says the transfer rate is 10MB in two seconds. In the advertisements, like the latest "naughty" one below, while the actual bump of the phones is very brief, the transfer continues after the bump. So it is possible to transfer a short video before the taxi drives off.

10-28-12 08:55 AM
    Why don't you just do a simple yt video search and see for yourself? I've used it personally and find it useful, straightforward and fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    to which I think that's the very reason WHY he posted here? to ask how that works in comparison to BlackBerry Tag?

I mean this is one of the avenues he can ask to look for answers, no?
    dusdal and Marauder2 like this.
    10-28-12 10:34 AM
    The GSIII uses two technologies: NFC and Wifi Direct. NFC is used for pairing, and Wifi direct for the file transfer. Files are thus transferred at wifi speeds. The transfer rate itself is very fast, but the setup and pairing is slow.
    I did not know that, that's the answer I was looking for! So S-Beam uses Wifi Direct to transfer files while Tag uses bluetooth, hence the lower speeds?
    10-28-12 11:10 AM
    I did not know that, that's the answer I was looking for! So S-Beam uses Wifi Direct to transfer files while Tag uses bluetooth, hence the lower speeds?
    Correct.
    10-28-12 11:24 AM
    I believe that Android Beam (S Beam is just between two Galaxy devices) uses bluetooth as well and works cross platform.
    10-28-12 01:55 PM
    I believe that Android Beam (S Beam is just between two Galaxy devices) uses bluetooth as well and works cross platform.
    Yep. Any two Samsung devices. You just need an NFC-enabled device. EDIT: Oh, you meant Android xplat. Yeah...my mistake...LoL
    10-28-12 02:23 PM
    Wow. This is easy to share with your friends. Is this legal with copyright? I have seen the playbook version of multitasking with up to 3 playbooks just nearby as well. Just a swipe gesture towards the one you want to send it to and zip there it is. Again, don't know about the copyrighted aspects that on that either.

The video is excellent. Always seems to more impressive with the British accent.
    10-28-12 02:41 PM
    In general NFC/OS software uses NFC to automatically complete the steps of enabling, pairing and establishing a Bluetooth or WiFi connection when doing a file transfer. With that said transfer rates can very different phone to phone.

Large Data transfer (photos and video) seams to be limited to with in the device platform (android to android, BB to BB and windows 8 to windows 8), but transfer of small data packets (urls, contact information etc.) is cross platform.
    10-31-12 04:38 PM