I've seen tablet makers advertise win 8Rt or 8.1 as it is now, win 8 and win 8pro. From what I've read plain win 8 will run most software but not all. Where as RT will run none.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...windows-8.html
    RT is just like any other tablet. You can't put mac apps on an ipad. Similarly you can't put windows apps on windows RT. you need to use the app store and in my opinion the windows app store does well for the big name apps on RT. If you see windows rt check the windows app store for your fav apps but if you need to install your own you should go for a true windows 8 tablet or surface pro. Just know it's more money and sometimes bulkier hardware.

Posted using my Q10 via CB10
    ajst222 likes this.
    12-03-13 11:03 AM
    Nope. RT is made for arm chips and the app needs to be remade by BlackBerry. Will work with pro

Ok so if I cant backup my BlackBerry to it its not a good compliment, not at the moment anyway.

Ps whats dm
    12-03-13 01:25 PM
    RT is just like any other tablet. You can't put mac apps on an ipad. Similarly you can't put windows apps on windows RT. you need to use the app store and in my opinion the windows app store does well for the big name apps on RT. If you see windows rt check the windows app store for your fav apps but if you need to install your own you should go for a true windows 8 tablet or surface pro. Just know it's more money and sometimes bulkier hardware.

I'm know all of that. What I'm saying is there is a win8 version that is not RT or pro that may or may not work with dm.
    12-03-13 01:34 PM
    I'm know all of that. What I'm saying is there is a win8 version that is not RT or pro that may or may not work with dm.

Of course it will. It's full Windows 8. Think of it as Windows 7 Home Premium vs Windows 7 Ultimate
    12-03-13 01:41 PM
    Ok so if I cant backup my BlackBerry to it its not a good compliment, not at the moment anyway.

Ps whats dm

The Surface (non Pro) is a tablet, not a computer so it will behave as such. Would you buy an iPad and expect install Link or Desktop Manager? But it can compliment a BlackBerry in ways other tablets can't with the ability to charge your phone via USB along with file transfer and HDMI.
    12-03-13 01:45 PM
    I've got the Surface Pro and it's an excellent device.. Everything works well with my Z10

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 02:00 PM
    I have been using the Z10 and the Surface Pro 1 since July. Today was the first time I backed up my Z10 trough BB Link (I set up the default folder to be the SD card that I have installed in the Surface, so I don't use too much of the memory on the tablet).
    >>>>COOL Factor #1

Then this evening I took a few pictures on my Z10 and was able to transfer them to the Surface very easily with a USB cable.
    >>>>COOL Factor #2 (see exhibit "A" below--)

Blackberry + Surface A great compliment-img_00000126_hdr.jpg
    12-03-13 09:35 PM
    There's a lot if 'oh ms, you did it again' IMHO.
    The video app sucks. Crashes result in direction to an xbox forum. Start button often (real life - seldom/sometimes - resume vent) doesn't do anything.
    Some menus still feel clunky even after the run in period.
    That being said, split screen is awesome, multiple ways to evoke menu is great, and it's nice to revert back to desktop when all else fails.
    Swiping to unlock and the bb10 keyboard would be worth licensing on this os. World of a difference.

Posted via CB10.2.1. Devices: iPhone 5, galaxy S3, I pad 2, PlayBook, ms Surface
    12-10-13 10:38 PM
    @ surface 2(rt) and z10 owners ,

Can one just connect the z10 via USB to the surface rt and transfer pics , music and documents to either devices ?

And how are both devices complimenting you so far as a combo ?

Iam about to buy both the devices so any suggestions , help and your experience using both the devices will help in making a informed decision .
    02-04-14 07:25 PM
    I have a 9850 and got a Toshiba Encore win 8.1 8" tablet. I don't think the USB port supports the phone connection, tried it but the phone just flashed. I have dm installed on it and I use the tether app. It works faster than bridge and pb did for me.
    02-04-14 07:39 PM
    Friend recently bought a Asus Transformer book T100 TA, and it's a great machine. He had to return a Dell Venue Pro 11 because they don't ship to Puerto Rico (was buying the keyboard) , and that one is also a fantastic buy both running 8.1. I have a Surface 2 and to my needs I find it perfect. Runs smooth and 8.1 rt even without the possibility of installing software, to me works like a charm. That's the true meaning of a tablet, and not a very expensive e reader like an ipad.

If I had to do it again I would buy either the asus or the Dell solely for the price (both are priced around the $450-500 including keyboard) . Both run on the new bay trail atoms and sport w8.1. Not as high end, case and exterior wise, as the surface or pro but nothing that a good case doesn't solve imo.

Still to this day I haven't had the need to install a single program and the store, I'm used to not having 1m apps to choose from, just like Bbw it's growing at a steady paste. Any BlackBerry 10 would do just fine with any Windows tablet atm available. Indirectly win tablets have becomed what the playbook 2 or w/e should have been if they had decided to release a 2nd gen.

Hard core BlackBerry 'er
    rav16 likes this.
    02-04-14 09:14 PM
    Bought the surface for a steal on ebay. I must agree with you. Great combination.

Red Zed 10
    02-05-14 12:57 AM
    I will stick to my playbook till I see a tablet that can substitutes laptops (totally). I love the surface but will wait for later versions.

The only thing that interests me is the office suite and I already have documents to go so...

PS: I already have a toshiba laptop. My point is; I will stick to my Playbook (I use it for ereading, music and Internet browsing) till the day I can get a Surface 2 with a full Windows OS (not the RT) I love the silver one.
    Posted via my Q10/Playbook/Curve
    Last edited by antoscimento; 02-05-14 at 04:11 AM.
    02-05-14 03:37 AM
    My mother uses both.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 06:08 AM
    I will stick to my playbook till I see a tablet that can substitutes laptops (totally). I love the surface but will wait for later versions.

The only thing that interests me is the office suite and I already have documents to go so...

PS: I already have a toshiba laptop. My point is; I will stick to my Playbook (I use it for ereading, music and Internet browsing) till the day I can get a Surface 2 with a full Windows OS (not the RT) I love the silver one.
    Posted via my Q10/Playbook/Curve
    You can and have been able to. My Toshiba is running full win8.1 nit RT.
    02-05-14 07:14 AM
    There seems to be a misconception of Windows RT beeing a mobile OS in contrast to Windows 8. The truth is, they are very much the same OS including all features, as they are build from the same sources. Of course you can not run x86 compiled apps on ARM CPUs. However this difference can not be attributed to the OS but rather to differences of the used SoC architecture (e.g. ARM vs. x86). There is nothing stripped down in Windows RT compared to Windows (x86), that would forbid to run things like Photoshop if Photoshop would be compiled for ARM.
    So the notion of Windows RT as a stripped down, less powerful or mobile OS compared to Windows is inherently wrong. That havin said, there are a few legacy libraries removed from RT, like DirectX earlier than version 9, Silverlight etc. such that the footprint of RT is somewhat smaller.
    The reason Windows Store Apps running (usually) on both ARM and x86 is the fact, that store apps are compiled twice, once for x86 and once for ARM.
    The big advantage of Windows RT compared to Windows is the higher security level, due to trojans or viruses, as they contain x86 code, would not run on ARM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-12-14 02:45 PM
    Awesome post because I've been wondering just how well the Surface would work along with the Q myself. Me, I think Windows 8 is pretty neat and I've been interested in the Surface since it came out, particularly RT as it basically involves all that is absolutely new-school only. The fact it isn't Google, and the fact it has proper USB support are already huge pluses in my small book.

If I can ask, when you open up a Word document in actual MS Word imported from Docs To Go, does it retain all of your formatting?

Posted via CB10
    I agree the windows tablet looks good with proper usb support. Working with someone who has one and I ve been impressed with the things he can do on it like on a windows laptop/ desktop.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 03:58 PM
67 123