02-16-17 03:56 PM
    That comes out to about $60,000 each. I'm sure BB will settle out of court.
    02-16-17 06:00 PM
    That comes out to about $60,000 each. I'm sure BB will settle out of court.
    That's like $85,000 Canadian! Lol significant to the 300, and 20 million is still a big number for a company trying to turn a profit

Posted Via Passport with CB10 app
    02-16-17 06:38 PM
    Either BlackBerry got bad legal advice or someone in BlackBerry's personal dept was enjoying a wacky tobacco perhaps celebrating the legislation of pot rules in Canada. Either BlackBerry will settle out of court as someone has suggested or the courts will decide for them.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-17 07:45 PM
    That's like kicking someone because they were shot.
    02-16-17 08:13 PM
    If this is true, this is REALLY appalling behaviour by BlackBerry.
    02-16-17 10:34 PM
    Sounds like half of a story.
    02-16-17 11:07 PM
    Doesn't surprise me with the way BlackBerry have behaved of late.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2876
    02-17-17 01:10 AM
    Well, to be fair to BlackBerry...they did set them up with new jobs. How much is that worth? I'd say a lot more then $60K...
    02-17-17 08:04 AM
    Well, to be fair to BlackBerry...they did set them up with new jobs. How much is that worth? I'd say a lot more then $60K...
    Did you read the article? They were effectively fired as soon as they were transferred. So they didn't get their severance and they would not have been eligible for unemployment insurance benefits either. Hopefully there is more to this story, because it doesn't look good on BlackBerry at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    Randal Yandal likes this.
    02-17-17 08:22 AM
    Depends....

Do they have to commute or relocate?
    Pay the same?
    Work the same?
    Benefits the same?

Some might have preferred to be fired, get the benefits and then go find a job that they wanted.

In the end... this will "cost" BlackBerry much more than if they had made it an optional thing. But Chen can't afford the details of this being played out in the courts. What department didn't need 300 people anymore? BB10 Development? Android Development? QNX Development? That they found them a home at Ford would seem to lean towards them being QNX.... But I guess it's possible these were all hardware people that someone fit into Ford Canada....
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    02-17-17 08:55 AM
    Unless I am reading the article wrong (it is not very clear), they were transferred to Ford and then given letters stipulating that they had resigned from BlackBerry. The resignation meant the loss of severance and other rights when they transferred to Ford.

In other words, since BlackBerry is saying this is not a transfer of business, and the employees have been asked to sign resignation letters, the employees are arguing that they are being laid off by BlackBerry (and deserve severance, etc.), and are commencing new employment at Ford. This seems like a reasonable argument, since they are not being permitted to take any of their BlackBerry rights with them.

The class action notice is here: http://nelligan.ca/class-actions/blackberry/

Sent from mTalk
    jmr1015 likes this.
    02-17-17 09:28 AM
    I sympathize entirely with the workers. It would be interesting to receive a complete legal report. I have no idea how Canadian private law deals with such matters, but what BlackBerry did could result as an illicit way to avoid paying termination entitlements. I'm not sure whether BlackBerry is going to pay or not, and though there aren't much possible outcomes (a liquid compensation for the entitlements rules out an actual settlement, in my opinion, at least in this case), I think we shouldn't take for granted that BlackBerry won't prefer to settle this in court. Let's wait and see.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-17-17 09:30 AM
    I sympathize entirely with the workers. It would be interesting to receive a complete legal report. I have no idea how Canadian private law deals with such matters, but what BlackBerry did could result as an illicit way to avoid paying termination entitlements. I'm not sure whether BlackBerry is going to pay or not, and though there aren't much possible outcomes (a liquid compensation for the entitlements rules out an actual settlement, in my opinion, at least in this case), I think we shouldn't take for granted that BlackBerry won't prefer to settle this in court. Let's wait and see.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/MobileSyr...11698657878017

You're right

CB Mod
    02-17-17 09:32 AM
    Update: BlackBerry has released the following statement regarding the lawsuit: “We have reviewed the allegations in the lawsuit, and are confident we complied with all our obligations to our employees. Therefore, we believe the case lacks merit, and we will defend against it vigorously.”

Still don't see this going to court... Don't care if BlackBerry did meet the letter of the law. It makes them look bad, and BlackBerry can't afford to look bad.

Which is probably why the attorney filing the case is the one that announced it to the media - knows that a case like this means more to a company's image than the money does. And I bet Chen's gotten an email or call from both Ford and TCL today.... Ford doesn't want their Brand dragged into this, and TCL doesn't want to launch a phone when a story like this might get added to any "report".

.... Of course not sure BlackBerry can easily afford $20 Million dollars either.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    02-17-17 09:56 AM
    Unless I am reading the article wrong (it is not very clear), they were transferred to Ford and then given letters stipulating that they had resigned from BlackBerry. The resignation meant the loss of severance and other rights when they transferred to Ford.
    This makes a lot more sense. An earlier version of the article made it sound like they were forced to "resign" from the company they were transferred to. I don't blame Ford for not wanting to be be responsible for their years of service benefits, but this should have been spelled out to these workers in advance.

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-17-17 10:07 AM
    Did you read the article? They were effectively fired as soon as they were transferred. So they didn't get their severance and they would not have been eligible for unemployment insurance benefits either. Hopefully there is more to this story, because it doesn't look good on BlackBerry at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    Yes I did read it. I also read they got to keep their jobs. I think its great BlackBerry got them new positions and they should be thankful for it. Look at all the thousands of jobs they let go already...did any of those people get new positions? Maybe these disgruntled gold diggers should go ask all those thousands of other people if they would have preferred a nice cushy new job as opposed to a severance? Ford is a great company. And certainly a lot more wealthy and stable than BlackBerry is EVER going to be. Lol.
    02-17-17 10:52 AM
    That's like $85,000 Canadian!
    Since the article is on a Canadian news site discussing Canadian employees, those figures are indeed in Canadian Dollars.
    anon(4243545) likes this.
    02-17-17 11:14 AM
    Since the article is on a Canadian news site discussing Canadian employees, those figures are indeed in Canadian Dollars.
    Maybe you are correct , but I have seen BlackBerry related articles about compensation to former employees with all the layoffs in Ontario and their pay scale was in USD.
    02-17-17 11:20 AM
    did chen bring a US legal council? it didn't sounds Canadian to me... smell fishy...if BB lost 20 million- most likely, that chap should head over the door too... may be transfer to trump team? (Labour secretary got opening i believe). sad for my downed 80% stock. PLEASE hire someone cost less (USD is too much) and Canadian with teeth that not come back to bite yourself...
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    02-18-17 05:46 AM
    I know 5 ex-BlackBerry employees who have been let go in one way or another at various points in time. I made a point of speaking to a couple of them over the last few days since this hit the press and the two I've been able to reach both said they were treated far better by BB than they expected. Both received hefty severances and offers of retraining, job search tools, etc. One was let go last year (I think around May?) and the other the year before. The other 3 I haven't been able to reach.

I'm not sure this proves anything but it just reminds me that there are two sides to every story and if BB does take this all the way to court it should make for some entertaining threads here!
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    02-18-17 09:50 AM
    Yes I did read it. I also read they got to keep their jobs. I think its great BlackBerry got them new positions and they should be thankful for it. Look at all the thousands of jobs they let go already...did any of those people get new positions? Maybe these disgruntled gold diggers should go ask all those thousands of other people if they would have preferred a nice cushy new job as opposed to a severance? Ford is a great company. And certainly a lot more wealthy and stable than BlackBerry is EVER going to be. Lol.
    This post is so delusional its laughable. You really think these people were given nice cushy jobs and are just trying to get money out of BlackBerry? Liking BlackBerry as a company is great. Siding with them when they screw over long time employees is just blind fanboyism. You don't know these people's work history with BlackBerry, what they were owed, or how moving them to another company affected them personally and/or financially.
    MikeX74 and Ronindan like this.
    02-19-17 05:08 AM
    This post is so delusional its laughable. You really think these people were given nice cushy jobs and are just trying to get money out of BlackBerry? Liking BlackBerry as a company is great. Siding with them when they screw over long time employees is just blind fanboyism. You don't know these people's work history with BlackBerry, what they were owed, or how moving them to another company affected them personally and/or financially.
    Life goes on. The only thing 'delusional' in this scenario are these misguided employees who prefer to grind an axe with their former boss even when they still have jobs. Some people just don't know how to quit when they're ahead.

Like I said previously...go ask the thousands upon thousands of BlackBerry employees who have already been let go and tell me this comparative handful that got 'swindled' into new jobs are any worse off? LMFAO
    02-19-17 08:21 AM
    Until BlackBerry files their statement of defense we only know one side of the story.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-17 10:46 AM
    This is a bad move by blackberry. Since BB transferred them to Ford -- BB is still responsible for giving each employee a severance package, since BB let them go. BB cannot claim by Canadian Employment law that the employees that they transferred to Ford, resigned since it is BB that initiated the change.
    02-19-17 06:08 PM
42 12