It was just brought to my attention that the storm has three bugs and most of the stores have been ordered not to distribute any more phones (some even cancelled new shipments). The problem can be fixed by taking the phone into a verizon store and updating the software (when RIM gives the O.K.). This information was presented quickly and vaguely. One bug is that the phone freezes on certain screens, another concerns emails, and the other was forgotten by the source. I'm kind of pissed as I picked up a Storm on friday. I'd rather RIM delay the release date than find myself standing on a long line during christmas to fix these problems. Not sure if this info is already out there... i just heard so i posted a thread. If its already out there, then I am an ***** and disregard everything I said.
    11-25-08 01:31 PM
    Whenever there's a release of the new OS software you don't necessarily have to go to VZW to upgrade the software. You can easily do it from your own comp on the Blackberry website. It's pretty simple. I've done it tons of times whenever there's new OS upgrades.
    11-25-08 02:09 PM
    Most new devices have bugs when they are released. The BlackBerry which has one of the most complex OSs of all is no exception. Anybody who buys a device on Day One should de facto expect these and, in turn, being a guinea pig.

As poe1983 rightly points out, BlackBerry bugs are rectified by upgrading the Operating System (OS). OSs are released at random (as far as we are concerned) intervals and they contain bug fixes, new features, feature enhancements and, of course, a new set of bugs. Some OSs are issued by carriers whilst others are leaked beta releases. The betas are more fun because you get to see the direction that RIM is taling before the world at large whilst the carrier releaes generally have a bit less functionality but you can call up your carrier and ask then questions about the OS. They probably won't be able to answer but, you can, at least, ask.

If you consider a phone, it's OS, multiple carrier netorks, innumerable users doing innumerable things then you will seee an n-dimensional matrix where it is completely impossible to figure out, let alone check out every matrix node. Hence the bugs.

Join in the CrackBerry community and you will sooon find others who do similar, or different things with their phones from you. You will also find people to help you out with problems and in turn you will soon be answering questions as well.

The BlackBerry is the best phone on the market an the Storm is the newst of the crop. Please look past the teething troubles to the amazing technology behind it. Or, as my wife says, "It's just a phone.". Really!
    Last edited by Pete6; 11-25-08 at 02:24 PM.
    11-25-08 02:21 PM
    Most new devices have bugs when they are released. The BlackBerry which has one of the most complex OSs of all is no exception. Anybody who buys a device on Day One should de facto expect these and, in turn, being a guinea pig.

As poe1983 rightly points out, BlackBerry bugs are rectified by upgrading the Operating System (OS). OSs are released at random (as far as we are concerned) intervals and they contain bug fixes, new features, feature enhancements and, of course, a new set of bugs.

If you consider a phone, it's OS, multiple carrier netorks, innumerable users doing innumerable things then you will seee an n-dimensional matrix where it is completely impossible to figure out, let alone check out every matrix node. Hence the bugs.

Join in the CrackBerry community and you will sooon find others who do similar, or different things with their phones from you. You will also find people to help you out with problems and in turn you will soon be answering questions as well.

The BlackBerry is the best phone on the market an the Storm is the newst of the crop. Please look past the teething troubles to the amazing technology behind it. Or, as my wife says, "It's just a phone.". Really!
    Microsoft is a perfect example!!!!
    11-25-08 02:24 PM
    You mean,.... Windows...... has..... bugs? Surely not.
    11-25-08 03:45 PM
    nooooo you dont say. maybe thats why i am switching from a 800w to a 8330, lol
    11-27-08 08:41 PM
    It was just brought to my attention that the storm has three bugs and most of the stores have been ordered not to distribute any more phones (some even cancelled new shipments). The problem can be fixed by taking the phone into a verizon store and updating the software (when RIM gives the O.K.). This information was presented quickly and vaguely. One bug is that the phone freezes on certain screens, another concerns emails, and the other was forgotten by the source. I'm kind of pissed as I picked up a Storm on friday. I'd rather RIM delay the release date than find myself standing on a long line during christmas to fix these problems. Not sure if this info is already out there... i just heard so i posted a thread. If its already out there, then I am an ***** and disregard everything I said.
    I don't know if this i common knowledge yet, but i recall hearing something about their being a security violation on the original software. The system had to be upgraded to a downgraded system so that the problems could be fixed. when the update comes out it will fix all the problems. The BB Storm had to be upgraded by downgrading it and it will be fixed by downgrading it in order for it to be upgraded to the original software. hope you can fallow that crazy explanation.
    11-27-08 09:21 PM
    Microsoft is the WORST example!!!
    11-28-08 10:20 AM
    Windows may have bugs but Vista is perfect
    11-30-08 04:13 PM
    Everyone expects a few bugs with a brandy-new device, sure.
    But when it's riddled with enough of them to make functionality almost impossible or certainly d@mn annoying?

I don't blame the phone for this, I blame whoever thought that the obviously not-ready-for-prime-time Storm should have been pushed out the door into the hands of consumers, despite an obvious need of a lot of further refinement and tweeking.

"Who gives a Sh!t if they don't work - we need to sell a ton of these during the Christmas rush!"
    Say WHAT?

I truly hope the software updates coming out in the next few weeks/months will get the Storm to where it should have been at first launch:
    Reliable, fast, solid.

Maybe then I'll have an interest.
    Because until that happens, it doesn't really feel like what I expect a BlackBerry to be.
    Last edited by Digital_Cataclysm; 11-30-08 at 04:47 PM.
    11-30-08 04:43 PM
    I have been noticing a lot more problems on the storm lately. I get missed calls because the screen didn't answer the call when I clicked. I even tried pressing send to answer and it didn't work. My web browsing wouldn't connect to any site. I don't receive some texts and get 2 of the same texts. Also sound profiles don't work. I started getting a different sound to all my texts that I had set for one person only. It does have lots of bugs.
    12-02-08 02:05 AM
    Well I played with a Telus storm on Sunday and it worked really great! there wasn't any problems and i played for more than an hour! lol!
    12-02-08 02:39 AM
    As a newby, I will admit to a steep learning curve on getting up to speed on the Storm,( and crackberry's in general) after a week's frustration of loosing calls - (hanging up while talking, unintentional mute etc.) I gave up on the storm and traded my Storm in for the tried and reliable Curve. Couldn't be happier- can type 3x faster and the thing flat out works. My storm was one of the first shipment - was so buggy that within 3 days had to take it back to have major upgrade from 4.5 to 4.7.0.65 and still had issues. I can understand the new device bugs- I fix high end cars for a living. But I agree with others that the device should have been held for some of the major fixes before released to the public.

Now don't read this as Storm bashing- it's a great device and has many nice features but reliability trumps gwiz features any time.
    12-04-08 07:00 PM
    I was talking to a verizon tech and when we finished our conversation he forgot to disconnect the line and I overheard him talking to his co-workers about the freezing issues with the storm. a lot of it is caused by the VZ Navigator, but they aren't aloud to tell customers that cause its an "add on" thats no bull either. I just listened to him talk for 3 or 4 minutes about it.
    12-05-08 01:57 AM
    Other than the Crackberry fanatics who own one, most would say that the Storm release was rather disastrous and rushed to market to meet deadlines. I'm not surprised that there was such a severe shortage when they came out, probably to mitigate the damages and buy them some time. The update will probably move the Storm towards some respectibility but that doesn't change the fact that it was released prematurely in time for Black Friday. If you want to get a much better look at what the Storm will be, wait a month and you'll see more stable software and an idea as to whether it still is acceptable for you. I personally think it's in desperate need of a trackball and don't like the click keyboard. That's opinion.
    12-05-08 09:39 PM
    Windows may have bugs but Vista is perfect
    Although this was probably meant to be sarcastic, I actually feel that statement is so true. I am very content with Vista. GJ MS for cleaning it up.
    12-06-08 01:02 AM
    I still want one. Not right now. I'm patiently waiting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-08 07:34 PM
    I know that saying this is the kiss of death,
    but since I got the software update I haven't had issues with my Storm. It's working fine, no screen click issues, no lag. I'm diggin it.

RTSO
    12-06-08 08:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD