On stuff.tv

TODAY

BlackBerry Storm 2 - QWERTY predecessor in the works?The BlackBerry Storm 2 has barely been on the shelves 5 minutes, but such is the tech rumour mill that we are already hearing whisperings about its predecessor, and its rumoured slide-out QWERTY keyboard.

The Storm line has been BlackBerry�s only move away from full QWERTY keyboards for a touchscreen, and while the second incarnation has received better reviews, the SureTouch clickable interface has not been to everyone�s taste.

Perhaps it�s for this reason that the BlackBerry 3 is being touted by analysts as �a cross between the Storm 2 and one of RIM�s non-touch QWERTY devices�.

Rumours are also swirling that BlackBerry plans to improve its web browser in the Storm 3, and may even open the device up to third party browsers as well.

If true, a sliding Storm 3 would match up with details from the BlackBerry 2009 road map leaked in December last year. In it was a �Storm Slider� pencilled in for the end of this year, describing it as �an unconfirmed slider, targeting European users, possibly 3G and WiFi�.

As you�d expect, BlackBerry has kept schtum on these rumours, but we�d expect we can expect to hear news on the Storm�s predecessor at some point in the new year.

What would you want from the next Storm? Check out our hands on snaps and first impressions of the Storm 2 and let us know what you think it�s missing below.

Via: FoneHome
    11-17-09 02:37 PM
    Interesting. The Magnum/Dakota will have both as well.
    11-17-09 02:43 PM
    i dont think blackberry will do that for a while if ever i think their gonna stick with qwerty(non slide out) with a touchscreen or just a full touch screen phone
    11-17-09 02:46 PM
    Lol. That's how tech goes. As soon as you walk out the store, the newest +1 is announced. I'm confident that I will be able to upgrade by the time something like this is released.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-09 02:47 PM
    Look how long it took them to release the S2. I bet by the time the S3 is released, most of us will have upgrades again lol. I get mine again in 18 months, and I wouldn't be suprised if it takes RIM that long to release this new S3.
    11-17-09 02:53 PM
    LoL. A blackberry touchscreen with a slide out keyboard......... Isn't that basically the same form factor as the MotoDroid?

Does that mean Surepress is gonna go the way of the dinosaur?
    11-17-09 02:56 PM
    OMG, i just got an S2 and they didnt tell about the S3, those basterds, well i have have been with vzw for 3 months and pay my bill on time, if they know whats good for them they will give me a new S3. or i will sue................
    11-17-09 03:11 PM
    Interesting concept, but I have no use for a physical keyboard now.

11-17-09 03:14 PM
    Interesting concept, but I have no use for a physical keyboard now.

Wouldn't you like to have some extra unnecessary mechanical crap on your phone?
    11-17-09 03:37 PM
    I hope the Storm3 isn't a slider. That just defeats the purpose of the entire phone IMO.

11-17-09 03:48 PM
    Lol. Absolutely not. Except for maybe a plasma cutting laser. That would be kind of handy.

11-17-09 03:57 PM
    Following the forums here and after many forum searches, it has been rumored for quite some time of a "slider" touch qwerty device, even well before the release of the storm2. RIM had already purchased a company named Torch Mobile, known for their webkit browser, and rumors a-fly that blackberry users would soon be able to experience iPh@ne-like web surfing, and blackberry devices have already been open to third party browsers like Bolt and Opera Mini. (Perhaps the article refers to a third party, like Torch Mobile, developing directly to be used as a native browser.) Anyways, it amazes me what some tech sites will publish to attract subscribers, attention, or just plain get a rise out of people... But in the end, I'm sure there will be an audience siked to see a blackberry device with both a touch screen and a slide out. Why not?
    11-17-09 03:58 PM
    If the marketing wizards at RIM were smart...they'd give this phone an entirely different name once it's released.

The stuff about the improved browser has been known for a while now. It'll be webkit based...as evidenced by the fact that RIM bought Torch Mobile...which specialized in webkit browsers...and the fact that not too long ago RIM had job openings for webkit developers.
    11-17-09 04:00 PM
    If RIM does drop something like this they won't call it the Storm 3, they'll just give it a different name and start another BB line.

11-17-09 04:00 PM
    I just do not see the draw to a slide out keyboard. I really like full touch.

11-17-09 04:08 PM
    If I wanted a physical keyboard I would have got the Droid. I'll keep my S2. Can't wait for a little better browser though.
    11-17-09 05:47 PM
    Any Idea when the new Torch Browser will be available for S2?
    11-28-09 08:12 AM
    God I hope not. I really think they're onto something good with SurePress. Its actually very nice now.

Half-breed phones like the ones described are pieces of poo. The Droid for instance has one of the worst mechanical keypads I've ever used. The Pre's slideout one sucked too. So either do one or the other. Dont try to please everyone with a half & half abomination.
    11-28-09 08:53 AM
    I think whoever wrote the article was half asleep anyway. The storm's "predecessor" should be its successor. A touch-screen slider might be in the works somewhere, but as others have said, the s2's typing tech is ahead of other touch screens. Why put so much development into the heft and tech of the s2 just to scupper it in favor of a slider? Further, I'd wager that any slider will have a keyboard that would feel comparable to other bb's, and such a keyboard on a device similar to the s2 (although that's only an assumption) would feel like a small brick unless it's cheap. Browsing is where it hurts.

11-28-09 09:11 AM
    I really hope that they don't add a physical keyboard. I really like the storm 2's surepress screen and would rather see them improve upon that then doing some half and half combination.

I just don't see the appeal of a touch screen and physical keyboard, I feel like it almost represents that the company couldn't make a decent virtual one so they had to slap a crappy one on the bottom to actually be able to type on the thing.

11-28-09 10:10 AM
    Most sliders go right through you anyway. Instant diarrhea.

11-28-09 10:59 AM
    If the S3 is a slider I won't buy it.
    Bigger touchscreen = Bought on release day.
    11-28-09 11:24 AM
    I really hope that they don't do this. They offer plenty of phones for those who want a physical keyboard. I don't want the added weight of a slieout keyboard. The Storm's touchscreen is the only touchscreen that I can type well on.
    11-28-09 11:48 AM
    im happy with the surepress keyboard, if you dont like it why don't yea buy a compatible bluetooth keyboard to text/email?
    11-28-09 07:04 PM
    I definitely would not want a slide-out keyboard. Maybe if there was a second option, but I would like to keep it simple. Just over a week on st S2's touch keyboard and I am doing great with it.
    11-28-09 09:03 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD