Apple is getting ready to launch a new iPhone and RIM’s response seems to be a new BlackBerry Storm. The Storm 2 has been confirmed by Alain Segond von Banchet, RIM’s Channel Sales manager in the Netherlands. The phone should arrive in late 2009 or early 2010. Isn’t that too late? The new handset will launch with KPN which must mean the second Storm won’t be a Vodafone exclusive. Check it out:
    BlackBerry Storm 2 Officially Confirmed for 2009
    Last edited by aadiawan; 05-18-09 at 02:57 AM.
    04-09-09 12:43 AM
    This will make a lot of people happy and pi$$ a lot of people off at the same time...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-09 12:46 AM
    This will make a lot of people happy and pi$$ a lot of people off at the same time...

I know...
    04-09-09 12:55 AM
    I know...
    Sh!t Stirrer!

04-09-09 12:57 AM

This is like making a remake of a movie and then pretending the other one didn't happen like "Hulk" movies lol. I'm going to be pissed if they just chuck this Storm aside and move on.
    04-10-09 01:13 AM
    I'm not familiar w/ overseas carriers, is it launching as CDMA or GSM?
    04-10-09 03:16 AM
    hope AT&T will get it...I want a new BB already...but I am not feeling the Bold all that much
    04-10-09 08:38 AM
    I love the Bold, but would be curious if the Storm2 came out as a GSM device...
    04-10-09 09:01 AM
    I'm not really all that surprised or upset.

New phones come out... just like any other electronic device. As much as I love my Storm, I knew it wasn't going to be the newest phone, or even the newest touchscreen blackberry, forever. It's the nature of the beast!

I have no doubt that the new Storm will be even better than the first, but I'll be more than happy with my current one until my contract expires.
    04-10-09 09:14 AM
    As long as it coems out 11 moths+ after the Storm was released I don't see any problem with it.

as stated in other threads about the Storm 2, people don't get bent out of shape if Sony releases a new model of television every year.

So long as the original storm still works and RIM continues to work on it (which based on past history with other devices it seems they will) it isn't a big deal.

If anything original early adopters can take heart that perhps this also means there will be a storm 3 released near the time of their next NE2
    04-10-09 09:37 AM
    Nice stroke job by RIM. They release a sub-par storm and then follow it up with an announcement for the storm 2. Looks to me like marketing BS to compete with apples recent announcements. What about the current storm owners waiting for an "official" OS release to fix bugs?

Glad I swapped mine for a curve. Hopefully the new storm will live up to the hype and I'll go back.
    04-10-09 11:20 AM
    Nice stroke job by RIM. They release a sub-par storm and then follow it up with an announcement for the storm 2. Looks to me like marketing BS to compete with apples recent announcements. What about the current storm owners waiting for an "official" OS release to fix bugs?
    The Storm owners waiting for an "official" OS release are at the mercy of the wireless companies that beta test them and push out the new builds. RIM builds them, Verizon, Bell, AT&T, etc. approve them. Don't blame RIM for that one. While I would like to see a new official OS for the current Storm, I'd like for it to work, so I'm really okay with waiting (though I really like .122 so far).

I am a little upset that a new phone would be coming out so soon, but oh well. Not much I can do about it.
    04-10-09 11:49 AM
    hope AT&T will get it...I want a new BB already...but I am not feeling the Bold all that much
    That might pi$$ apple off................
    Think about it.
    04-10-09 12:10 PM
    The Storm owners waiting for an "official" OS release are at the mercy of the wireless companies that beta test them and push out the new builds. RIM builds them, Verizon, Bell, AT&T, etc. approve them. Don't blame RIM for that one. While I would like to see a new official OS for the current Storm, I'd like for it to work, so I'm really okay with waiting (though I really like .122 so far).

I am a little upset that a new phone would be coming out so soon, but oh well. Not much I can do about it.

Where can I find this .122 OS at for my Storm 9350? Please let me know!
    04-10-09 12:29 PM
    I just found it in the OS forums. Unless someone has found and posted it, I don't believe there's an actual installer for it. You have to download a compressed file (the one I found was a .rar) and replace the CDMA and JAVA directories already existent on the system you use to update your Storm. You can find a link to the files and full instructions here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/be...-files-201331/
    04-10-09 01:14 PM
    verizon should allow people who have already got the original storm to 'upgrade' to the new storm.. they should put out some kind of deal, i would do it. i dont see why RIM didnt put wifi on the first one.
    04-10-09 01:25 PM
    verizon should allow people who have already got the original storm to 'upgrade' to the new storm.. they should put out some kind of deal, i would do it. i dont see why RIM didnt put wifi on the first one.
    that makes perfect business sense...
    04-10-09 01:40 PM
    that makes perfect business sense...
    Well it kind of does.

Say the new blackberry is $300

We should get a deal to only have to pay like $100 because we bought what seems like a test.

It would only be fair.

But thats only if the New storm is on verizon which it probably will
    04-10-09 01:42 PM
    Hopefully Sprint will see this storm!
    04-10-09 02:06 PM
    Well it kind of does.

Say the new blackberry is $300

We should get a deal to only have to pay like $100 because we bought what seems like a test.

It would only be fair.

But thats only if the New storm is on verizon which it probably will
    That makes no sense at all. Say I bought one of the first hybrid cars and it still had some bugs to fix in it and the manufacturer came out with a new model. If I wanted the new model I would still have to pay just as much as John Smith buying his first ever hybrid car. New technology and new products in general will always have issues with them, nothing and no one is perfect. It doesn't matter how much testing you put into something there can still be issues with it. Sorry you haven't had good luck with your Storm but you did have 30 days to bring it back.
    04-10-09 02:12 PM
    I have to agree with Boom and Bearhug on this one.

The attitude that the first storm was a "test" just doesn't hold up. It was a phone... a good one (yes with bugs, but still a good phone). This new Storm isn't a replacement for the current... it's simply the next version.

Should Apple have offered an "upgrade discount" when they released the 3g? Of course not. If that were the case phones would never be sold at full price because something new always comes out. Thats just how technology works.
    04-10-09 02:32 PM
    Does anybody know if the Blackberry Storm will be available to O2 subscibors in the the UK? At the moment it is only available with Vodafone
    04-10-09 02:35 PM
    Thats not going to happen. Based on this type of logic, RIM or the carriers wouldn't make a dime.
    Neither the manufacturer or carrier is responsible for you making the decisions to buy the phone when you bought it and technology is not going to cease because of one phone.
    04-10-09 02:38 PM

Don't blame RIM? Doesn't RIM create these garbage os's that we've seen on the Storm? Who tested out .65 with slowwww os, lockups, rebooting, etc, and said, "here, verizon, try this out?" And have you used the betas that followed .75? Who created those? Was it microsoft? Did VZW create them? Yes, VZW should have never released .65, but RIM should have never given crappy software to VZW to test. And it's up to RIM to make a stable os to provide to VZW for testing. Out of all of the betas that I have seen so far, not one is the answer.
    04-10-09 02:39 PM
    This is what ATT and Apple did for the Iphone 3G. If they previously had an Original Iphone, they automatically were eligible for the Iphone 3G.
    04-10-09 02:41 PM
137 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD