This isn't the 90's. Ecommerce is everywhere.

I was wondering how come BlackBerry doesn't sell their phones online (unlocked ones)? I mean Apple and even Google does it.

It would alleviate some of the issues they are currently having:
    - Release of the phones (not waiting for carriers)
    - Software releases (not waiting for carriers)
    - Sell refurbished items

It would offer them more flexibility (another distribution channel) and would give them direct insight on demand (no need waiting for the carriers for their reports).

If they don't have to resources to directly support it, the ecommerce component could be outsourced (like they are currently done). If they are worried about channel conflicts, they can price them MSRP (or even a bit more). This would open a "back door" where official updates can be released without "pissing off" the carriers.

If there are exclusive clauses in their contracts with their carriers, they could release limited special release models (think Dev Alpha) which contains basically the same innards but a different case. Once again, it would open a "back door" where official updates can be released. This could be like those "developer" models some other manufacturers are doing. Who says those updates have to be "locked"?

Thoughts?
    06-30-13 12:18 PM
    I posted a similar question a few days ago, and the answer made sense to me: to appease the carriers. The number of unlocked phones they will sell from their own channels will never outnumber those sold through the carriers in the current North American setup.

Apple and Google can afford to **** off the carriers. BlackBerry really cannot at this point.

And the part about pricing it higher than the MSRP...you gotta realize, the demand simply isn't as high for these phones anymore. Hell, do you think the Nexus 4 would have sold however many units it sold if Google had NOT subsidized it?
    06-30-13 01:27 PM