It is I think clear the direction Blackberry has taken, and we got the confirmation with the announcement of Blackberry to stop the Classic production.
    To remind you all the Classic's role has been to ease the way for die hard pre OS versions Blackberry users to move to OS 10.
    Now that Blackberry has moved into the Android arena with the introduction of the Priv, clear to me at least that slowly but surely the OS 10 will be discontinued in the very near future as we already see new City named Blackberry /Android being advertised. Sadly enough these new models will not be designed /produced by BlackBerry but by 3d parties.
    My view on this specific fact is the following:
    Blackberry Priv has been the last designed and produced all Blackberry phone if I am not mistaken?
    Why not upgrade the Priv with tomorrow's specs with additional Sim and SD slots. More RAM and Internal memory and processor speed.
    Why you ask?
    Because it has the most secure Android OS being loaded into the system after the Blackberry Boot system has validated the OS for starters.
    (Full explanation in the Security Guide of Priv).
    That should not be replaced by some cheap imitation of a Blackberry made by 3d parties.
    My opinion of course.
    What I try to say here is in short, your decision to go for a Android OS secured by BlackBerry is your decision but at least build it into a Blackberry phone made by BlackBerry, as the Priv.
    It really matters.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-09-16 07:44 AM
    Most people don't want a PKB phone, let alone a slider.
    07-09-16 09:27 AM
    It is I think clear the direction Blackberry has taken, and we got the confirmation with the announcement of Blackberry to stop the Classic production.
    To remind you all the Classic's role has been to ease the way for die hard pre OS versions Blackberry users to move to OS 10.
    Now that Blackberry has moved into the Android arena with the introduction of the Priv, clear to me at least that slowly but surely the OS 10 will be discontinued in the very near future as we already see new City named Blackberry /Android being advertised. Sadly enough these new models will not be designed /produced by BlackBerry but by 3d parties.
    My view on this specific fact is the following:
    Blackberry Priv has been the last designed and produced all Blackberry phone if I am not mistaken?
    Why not upgrade the Priv with tomorrow's specs with additional Sim and SD slots. More RAM and Internal memory and processor speed.
    Why you ask?
    Because it has the most secure Android OS being loaded into the system after the Blackberry Boot system has validated the OS for starters.
    (Full explanation in the Security Guide of Priv).
    That should not be replaced by some cheap imitation of a Blackberry made by 3d parties.
    My opinion of course.
    What I try to say here is in short, your decision to go for a Android OS secured by BlackBerry is your decision but at least build it into a Blackberry phone made by BlackBerry, as the Priv.
    It really matters.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Appreciate your thought but the problem is BlackBerry cannot compete in the android world if they are producing it. Their volume isn't big enough. Which means their margins will take a huge hit which will put at risk the existence of the hardware segment. Consider this as a necessary evil to stay in the smartphone game. BlackBerry will still be designing but no more producing the handsets. Even if they were to update the priv, they wouldn't manufacture it themselves.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    rt2567 likes this.
    07-09-16 09:35 AM
    As the last user specified, BlackBerry is still going to be designing future handsets, just not manufacturing them. There shouldn't be any change in the level of security compared to the Priv. And, while I don't think that you even brought it up, build quality could go either way. There are numerous complaints about the build quality of any and every device so, regardless of who is manufacturing them, you can expect that to be more or less the same as it is.

Just because BlackBerry isn't manufacturing the devices themselves anymore, the end user will not notice a difference at all. This is how manufacturing works. A company designs and specs something and then has it done by a manufacturing company to lower their overhead costs. Then they slap their logo on it and mark up the price. (In reality, I'm sure the manufacturing company also does the 'slapping on' of the BlackBerry logo, too).

Basically, relax. And just be happy that we will still likely see future devices from the company that we love. Don't worry about where they are manufactured. Who knows, maybe there are even some former BlackBerry employees working for their new manufacturing partners!
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    07-09-16 09:43 AM
    They've already started to separate their design and manufacture, such as the Z3 and Classic. Nothing new.
    07-09-16 09:46 AM
    Standard procedure in most industries, I worked for a company that made products for about 20 "brands" and those brands had loyal supporters because they believed in the superiority of said brand, which in reality didn't really exist as they were made by the same goons in the same way as the next 'brand'

Posted via CB10
    07-09-16 03:18 PM
    Most people don't want a PKB phone, let alone a slider.
    Got that right. Slider is niche of a niche.

Posted via the Diva's beautiful Red Passport!
    Bbnivende, rt2567 and FF22 like this.
    07-09-16 03:34 PM
    I hate to break it to you, but BB has contracted out the manufacture of the vast bulk of their phones since the early 2000s. BB had a small plant in Waterloo for prototyping and low-volume production, so they did make a relative few of several models, but most were made by contractors like Jabil Circuit, Quanta, Wistron, Foxconn, and others. The Waterloo plant was closed in 2013.

What BB did do was design the phones, both the internals and the case, and manage the logistics of the manufacturing (ordering parts and shipping them to the right places, etc.). These are the things that they no longer do, or only do on a very limited basis, as their contract manufacturers have taken a much larger role on internal design and inventory logistics - to the extent that their next phone is going to essentially be a re-badged device from another manufacturer. But less has changed than I think most people realize.
    07-09-16 06:54 PM
    Priv is the most secure Android?

That's up for debate.

Nexus 6p 64gb
    07-09-16 11:32 PM
    Appreciate your thought but the problem is BlackBerry cannot compete in the android world if they are producing it. Their volume isn't big enough. Which means their margins will take a huge hit which will put at risk the existence of the hardware segment. Consider this as a necessary evil to stay in the smartphone game. BlackBerry will still be designing but no more producing the handsets. Even if they were to update the priv, they wouldn't manufacture it themselves.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Good point, if BlackBerry wanted to compete in the handset market. It would have to have very deep pockets. They do not, they brought it on themselves..........so poof no more classic. I love my Passport................but is it for the main stream.................nope. Should BlackBerry keep building them........sure but at what price...1000.......2000 how much would you pay for a small private run of your Classic.
    07-10-16 02:27 PM
    I was at a party today. When I used my Priv, I was informed by three or four people BB had announced that they will no longer be making any phones.

So, if nothing else, BB has to clarify and re-clarify that they are suspending and not suspending. Obviously, most already think BB is dead but the Classic announcement confused it even more!
    07-10-16 10:34 PM
    I was at a party today. When I used my Priv, I was informed by three or four people BB had announced that they will no longer be making any phones.

So, if nothing else, BB has to clarify and re-clarify that they are suspending and not suspending. Obviously, most already think BB is dead but the Classic announcement confused it even more!
    Do these people have any authority, ... or access to some secret knowledge?

Or are they reading some un-named "friendly" tech blogs, ...? :-)

  There's a Crack in the Berry right now...  
    07-25-16 12:23 AM

Was it a fun party?
    cribble2k, FF22 and rt2567 like this.
    07-25-16 10:15 AM
    Do these people have any authority, ... or access to some secret knowledge?

Or are they reading some un-named "friendly" tech blogs, ...? :-)

•   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   •
    More likely they just haven't seen a BlackBerry in a long, long time. I actually look for them, and don't see them. It's kinda like K-Mart, they have closed stores here and I've seen many closed stores in other towns I have visited. Too me K-Mart is dead. But I know the company is still out there and I know that there are a few stores still going and that if I wanted to find a K-Mart website I probably could. But why would I?

Out of sight, does mean out of mind....
    07-25-16 10:36 AM

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Why do it? For what end?

Certainly they are not designing the hardware and not designing the OS.
    What western government or security sensitive western company is going to use a phone designed and fabricated in China?
    Aren't they supposed to be BlackBerry's target market? The ones they sell BES and Good software to?

Iphones may be fabricated in China but they are designed in Cupertino, both hardware and software.
    That's not the case with the new android BlackBerry phone.
    It makes zero sense unless their target market are consumers.

There has been only dissonance and contradiction in BlackBerry's actions and messages since Chen joined.
    Jack Chin likes this.
    07-25-16 08:30 PM