Dividends were very generous in the 70s. Stock prices on the average didn't appreciate much, but you'd get a 7-8 percent dividend. Banks were paying 5 percent on savings at that time.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 09:16 PM
    sorry bob, didn't mean to come off that way.

Question to spur some thought/discussion: would you ever consider owning a business?? maybe a partial share of your local furniture store? some ownership of the town's grocery store or coffee shop? what if you could own part of the electricity provider for your municipality?
    bobauckland likes this.
    05-09-13 09:43 PM

Question to spur some thought/discussion: would you ever consider owning a business?? maybe a partial share of your local furniture store? some ownership of the town's grocery store or coffee shop? what if you could own part of the electricity provider for your municipality?
    Firstly, respect for your apology, The problem here in my view is that life in itself may be seen as a gamble as are your examples, I feel however that some things are seen as more risky than others. In my field of work which includes addictions I would suggest that the stock market is a gamble and can become an addiction and have life changing consequences. (tell the trader who just threw himself from a high building that his investment was safe). Yes we can hedge our bets by studying form "how did the horse do last time out is in my view no different from studying the form of a company".
    bobauckland likes this.
    05-10-13 03:41 AM

Prolly my fault as well, nuances don't come across well through text!

In response to your question, my dad was a businessman, and when we moved to Canada for a bit we considered buying into a franchise, so the answer would be yes, but only if we are actually involved in the day to day running of the business.
    I wouldn't be a backer for someone else's business no, not unless it really was too good to miss out on, in which case they prolly wouldn't need my money.

As the poster below said, life is full of people who thought they had a handle on things before it blew up. Stocks are one of those things, at least in my experience, but then I've got an uncle who is very heavily into trading and I work as a psychiatrist so maybe my views and the population I encounter are skewed from normal.

Posted via CB10
    daveycrocket likes this.
    05-10-13 04:37 AM
54 123