TCL wouldnt take on the Mecury. It's not the way they do business.

I will say this, I've been here a long long time, renders pop up all the time, but usually thats all that shows up. Don't get your hopes up too much.
    I admire your optimism, I hope you arent disappointed.
    The slippery slope is near the ground, BB can't shift devices because from the point it had poor build quality on BBOS it damaged itself, BB Playbook it damaged itself, BBOS, UMA, BIS removals, damaged itself, BB10 software and hardware it damaged itself when Samsung and Apple specs were (still) producing something consumers wanted spec wise - then instead of partnering with Microsoft on mobile/tablet/pc the worlds largest PC OS manufacturer it went with the biggest security bugged mobile OS.

No one at BB seems to know the basics of business. Too big too soon, sat and ate pies all day kissing each others butts like the banks 'oh crape what happened we just plummeted!?'

The banks however got bail outs. BB kept its blowouts, Chen managed to plug holes, but build BB, no, reshaped it to all he knew not what consumer KNEW...BLACKBERRY.

Sad sad year for BB, hardware as dead as Nokia.
    murphcid likes this.
    09-30-16 02:45 PM
    TCL wouldnt take on the Mecury. It's not the way they do business.

I will say this, I've been here a long long time, renders pop up all the time, but usually thats all that shows up. Don't get your hopes up too much.
    I admire your optimism, I hope you arent disappointed.
    Thanks. I hope so.
    09-30-16 02:45 PM
    Except the target upgrade customer for an iphone 7 isn't an iphone 6 customer it's of the previous generation (although a good number will upgrade every year).

I'm not sure what the actual argument is? That apple managed to build a successful business model while BBRY at every turn made the wrong decisions and drove their business into the ground?

Is the argument that Apple doesn't innovate ? Apple innovates with every phone, it's just that many people don't understand what innovation is in a market sense (it's not "new and never been seen before").

- [ ]
    Had u read my earlier posts, it wud hav been simpler to understand, anyway -
    With this mourning of blackberry phones I can't help wondering ppls desire for overpriced phones, blackberry has always been overpriced, security was the reason given for the high price.
    Being success drunk it cud not foresee the future properly & that has resulted in its getting out of the race. Now Apple has taken its place in being that over priced gadget, by overhyping the smartphone, and making ppl pay more than double of an equally good phone that gets all the work done including security, as explained below my post by a guy using the galaxy 4 example. I am against this overhype that has been created and apple literally looting the ppl.

According to dunt3 it is value of owning an apple/ ease of use that makes ppl pay so much, just as u said their making own hardware & software & ppl liking the apple experience. Both of u & many more ppl make no mention of the overhype by apple in an attempt to make it look as if status symbol / ease of use r the only reasons for apple making 170 us$ profit per phone.

I agree with both of u, about ppl buying iPhone for snob value/ status symbol/ ease of use or both.
    But - it is not only these above factors exclusively, it is the hype generated which has the customer flocking to iStores with a new release, because the user experience is not substantially different between 2 consecutive iPhone models.
    And having 2 cameras is not innovative, Huawei calls it an upgrade. Removing headphones jack is a downgrade & a airpod trap.
    Anyway, ppl r realizing this, better late than never. Oppo has already overtaken apple in terms of market share in India & China, others will follow.
    09-30-16 03:02 PM
    I have checked with my company again and in the future, airwatch is going to be used for MDM. Android would be supported but I actually still don't see a point in buying an Android BlackBerry. QNX is theoretically supported by airwatch but I don't know for how long and whether the company will support it.

The reason I was still thinking about going BB was that I could get a compact, communication oriented phone with a physical keyboard next to my Samsung GS7. I don't really need apps on that second phone, just email and comms. However, that just needs to work flawlessly.

Now I basically have two options...

1. Get a Q10/Classic paid on my own expenses and keep it as long as it will work. If the company says no BB on the future MDM then that's it. Also, if any of the required clients will stop working on BB10. In addition, I'd probably have to deal with an almost dead OS as I'm currently not expecting anyone to continue launching BB10 phones under license.

2. Get an iPhone 7 on company expenses and just have everything supported, meaning maximum compatibility on my end. However, I'd carry two rather large devices and no physical keyboard.

For 98% of the people that choice would be clear but somehow I'm still unsure, haha.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    murphcid and BBRYQ10 like this.
    10-02-16 05:43 AM
    Every Blackberry I owned died 6-9 months even in an otterbox, the keyboards quit working. No Android or Apple (the than my wife's iPhone 5 that she cooked at the beach) has ever quit working. Blackberry has a tradition and reputation for crappy hardware (see the howls regarding the poor QC on the Priv). I totally agree with your point.

Plus AT&T is not even displaying BB phones anymore, not even the Priv.

For some... there is value in owning a Apple product, as it works and is supported by just about EVERYONE. And in the end they are quality devices. Heck I paid a lot to buy my wife an iPhone 6 two years ago, she just traded it it for a new iPhone 7 at no cost to us (other than sales tax). In the end her phone really didn't cost as much as I first taught it did.

As for BlackBerry.... yeah it hasn't worked. And I'm doubtful of just how many licensing partners we will see, and what kinds of hardware and pricing they will come up with - the security is optional, and might not be included by all these "partners".. Chen wasn't willing to let investors in on just how much revenue he expect from this new licensing only plan.
    10-02-16 10:13 AM
    Every Blackberry I owned died 6-9 months even in an otterbox, the keyboards quit working. No Android or Apple (the than my wife's iPhone 5 that she cooked at the beach) has ever quit working. Blackberry has a tradition and reputation for crappy hardware (see the howls regarding the poor QC on the Priv). I totally agree with your point.

Then I really wonder where are all those "OMG MY PASSPORT IS PERFECT" are coming from. The only guy I know with a Passport, even he had to RMA.
    murphcid likes this.
    10-02-16 10:31 AM
    I completely agree, Priv returns 4-5 times to get a "good" one. It is sad that BB fans ignore that fact.

Then I really wonder where are all those "OMG MY PASSPORT IS PERFECT" are coming from. The only guy I know with a Passport, even he had to RMA.
    10-02-16 10:34 AM
    I've owned ipad3, air2, ipod 4, ipod 5, iphone6s+. All worked fine and continue to do so, outdated specs notwithstanding. I've owned bb9900 and passport, both work just fine. I owned a motorola whose screen died in 6 months for no reason. I owned a note3 which always overheated and eventually refused to recharge with th original cable.

It's all luck of the draw.

Passport!
    10-02-16 11:04 AM

can you list your every BB model? just curious.
    10-03-16 11:41 AM
    I really wonder why you are so sure BB10 is dead. Has there been any official communication of its demise? As far as I know, BB10 still features in BlackBerry strategic plans.

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    Nobody ever says their product is dead. Did Nokia say Symbian is dead? Did Microsoft say Windows Mobile is dead? Did HP say WebOS is dead? No, we just read their actions.

I love the enthusiasm though, consistent with what I saw when the writing was on the wall for Symbian.
    shaleem likes this.
    10-03-16 12:03 PM
    multiple 9700's on AT&T

can you list your every BB model? just curious.
    10-03-16 08:36 PM
    Lol mine is green . They sure didn't offer THAT colour every year.

The thing about iPhone is that it is a status symbol. People may call iPhone users pompous and arrogant all they want, but the fact is there is always a market for high-end luxury items. There will always be business for Rolls Royce, Rolex and Ferrari, no shortage of sales there.

I think offering more choices is better for any company, but as proven, it doesn't always work out.
    Why do people here think the iPhone is a status symbol? It's a phone. Around the same price as higher end Android phones. Most people buying a phone today at least in NA, and from what I have seen on my business trips to Europe have either iPhones or Android phones that cost about the same amount.

No one who has an iPhone today thinks they have something special. Maybe 7 or 8 years ago when few people had smartphones. It's just a phone not a Mercedes, BMW or Ferrari, and the only people I ever hear say they are status symbols are on this site.
    I am definitely not confusing it. Carriers, at least where I live, do have an immense fee for supporting the use of a company BES within their network. If a carrier does not "open these ports" on their network, BES cannot be used. With BIS this is a similar issue but as this applies mostly to consumers, fees are much lower there.

If you operate a BES as a company, every phone has to have this BlackBerry Business plan added in order to be able to connect to the BES. If not, only the standard protocols via ActiveSync can be used but then the whole point of BES is missed.
    10-03-16 11:26 PM
    It is considered a luxury "status symbol" in India and China, and yes many do consider that you "get what you pay for."

Androids here can be had for $0 on a 2 year contract, you don't see that kind of deal for Apple unless it is an older model.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Is BlackBerry still an option?-tapaupload0.jpg  
    10-03-16 11:33 PM
    I have an uncle in se Asia who collects BlackBerry phones. A lot of them! I delivered a bunch to him about 2 years ago without realizing what the phones were. They were just "old" phones in a bag. I should have looked inside! Opportunity lost...

Passport!
    10-04-16 12:10 AM
    multiple 9700's on AT&T
    strange. you don't hear that much of problem if i recall for 9700... broken? one user? multiple devices of same model? must be a QC over looked something... care to guess it?
    10-04-16 07:38 AM
    It is considered a luxury "status symbol" in India and China, and yes many do consider that you "get what you pay for."

Androids here can be had for $0 on a 2 year contract, you don't see that kind of deal for Apple unless it is an older model.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I am sure the ame is true for someone who owns a Samsung Galaxy s7 Edge or Note or LG v20. Any high end phone.

In the North American market most people just don't care what type of smartphone a person is using.
    10-04-16 12:51 PM
    Why do people here think the iPhone is a status symbol? It's a phone. Around the same price as higher end Android phones. Most people buying a phone today at least in NA, and from what I have seen on my business trips to Europe have either iPhones or Android phones that cost about the same amount.

No one who has an iPhone today thinks they have something special. Maybe 7 or 8 years ago when few people had smartphones. It's just a phone not a Mercedes, BMW or Ferrari, and the only people I ever hear say they are status symbols are on this site.
    The following is relevant to where i live - India.

U can get an Android device for less than 50 us$ (the cheapest being 4 us$, freedom 251, but there is a limited number for them, i can't remember) because of the AOSP.
    U CANNOT get any iOS device for less than even 100 us$.
    This gives rise to the exclusivity of iOS and thus iPhone.
    The iowners thus start feeling a bit elite compared to the Android owners. The logic being - anyone can get the "thing" (OS) that an S7/ note 7 owner has, but to get "my thing" (iOS) they hav to pay more, I hav paid more than him/ her so i hav to b an elite/ snobbish.

Although some may agree the above thinking is not justified, apple (naturally) fuels this feeling. This results in a vicious spiral.
    10-04-16 02:42 PM
    The following is relevant to where i live - India.

U can get an Android device for less than 50 us$ (the cheapest being 4 us$, freedom 251, but there is a limited number for them, i can't remember) because of the AOSP.
    U CANNON get any iOS device for less than even 100 us$.
    This gives rise to the exclusivity of iOS and thus iPhone.
    The iowners thus start feeling a bit elite compared to the Android owners. The logic being - anyone can get the "thing" (OS) that an S7/ note 7 owner has, but to get "my thing" (iOS) they hav to pay more, I hav paid more than him/ her so i hav to b an elite/ snobbish.

Although some may agree the above thinking is not justified, apple (naturally) fuels this feeling. This results in a vicious spiral.
    Problem is while many assume that Android and iOS are on equal footing... they aren't.

As you said buying an Android doesn't mean you are getting a quality phone, doesn't mean you have an up to date OS, doesn't mean you can get full Google Play Services, doesn't mean that the one Android Game you want will work. It's still a very fractured market.

Buying an iOS device... does mean something.

But regardless... where would a BlackBerry fit into all of that?

What is a non-BIS BlackBerry worth there? Does the brand have value or was it the one time indispensable features of BIS... BlackBerry Plans, Data Compression and BBM?

My experience is once you become a commodity "brand" it's really just about the price... which leaves little room for profits.
    10-04-16 02:53 PM
    Problem is while many assume that Android and iOS are on equal footing... they aren't.

As you said buying an Android doesn't mean you are getting a quality phone, doesn't mean you have an up to date OS, doesn't mean you can get full Google Play Services, doesn't mean that the one Android Game you want will work. It's still a very fractured market.

Buying an iOS device... does mean something.

But regardless... where would a BlackBerry fit into all of that?

What is a non-BIS BlackBerry worth there? Does the brand have value or was it the one time indispensable features of BIS... BlackBerry Plans, Data Compression and BBM?

My experience is once you become a commodity "brand" it's really just about the price... which leaves little room for profits.
    I never said both r on the same level nor do i think so.
    A 50$ phone is good enuff if it fulfills all the buyers needs.
    For the other problems one can get a Nexus for less than an iPhone.
    And the 300 - 400 $ "'flagship 'Chinese fit in for all the needs between the above two.
    10-04-16 02:58 PM
    Where does bb fit in -
    I feel bb will fit in very beautifully if things go as expected.
    For a Nexus v still hav to pay 500 600$ or more in india. If bb starts licencing bb-android to cheap Chinese/ Indian/ Taiwan phones, we will have a solution to the fractured Android market.
    I, personally, wud jump on an Oneplus 3 blackberry
    Last edited by blackmass; 10-04-16 at 03:22 PM.
    10-04-16 03:11 PM
    Where does bb fit in -
    I feel bb will fit in very beautifully if things go as expected.
    For a Nexus v still hav to pay 500 600$ or more in india. If bb starts licencing bb-android to cheap Chinese/ Indian/ Taiwan phones, we will have a solution to the fractured Android market.
    I, personally, wud jump on an Oneplus 3 blackberry
    what make you think the cheap Chinese/Indian/Taiwan want to pay for the license fee if they can copy it? wake up, majority if not all license take place in EU/US/JP, a little in KR, almost non existence in other places.
    10-04-16 03:26 PM
    They licensed in Indonesia.
    India being one of their bb10 markets, i am hopeful.
    10-04-16 03:28 PM
    No iPhones hav all that - good hardware & updates, but not ONLY that.
    I wrote in the above post, i m hopeful bb will get some licences in india. Mercury/ licensed bb wud be the phone for me.
    Enterprise orders wud want the hardened phones. And i think they wud come at a lesser prices than Samsungs.
    It wud b difficult to sell the non hardened - just labeled bb though- imho.
    10-04-16 03:31 PM
    I am sure the ame is true for someone who owns a Samsung Galaxy s7 Edge or Note or LG v20. Any high end phone.

In the North American market most people just don't care what type of smartphone a person is using.
    Speed also determines what a status flagship device is, and sorry but no Android can touch iPhone speeds, here are the recent benchmark speeds done. Apple blows them away.

http://bgr.com/2016/10/03/iphone-7-f...r-performance/
    10-04-16 04:29 PM
    Also, in 2014, just before I bought a new device, I did my research and I found this article. It explains why Apple performs better even with less RAM. I think it was the article that pushed me into getting an iPhone....

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analy...am-242029.html
    10-04-16 04:34 PM
140 ... 3456