OP I think you already know enough, and are looking for someone to talk you out of your decision.

BB10 is dead...
    Future of BB Android is now in question.... as there were some indications in the Earnings Call that the licensing would not included their special version of Android. If that isn't included, then there is really no reason to keep developing it. Just the suite of Apps would be necessary. Especially as I don't think these licensing deal are about offering secure phones... it's just about the BlackBerry brand in markets where it still has meaning. Which might end up only being Indonesa.

I'd go with what you company recommends.
    I really wonder why you are so sure BB10 is dead. Has there been any official communication of its demise? As far as I know, BB10 still features in BlackBerry strategic plans.

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    09-29-16 07:57 AM
    I really wonder why you are so sure BB10 is dead. Has there been any official communication of its demise? As far as I know, BB10 still features in BlackBerry strategic plans.

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    Thanks... I've just spat my tea at the screen reading this.

Despite the mess, your post made my day and validates why I love reading the CB forums.

Quick question: Did you maybe miss yesterday's ER and the forum storm that occurred soon after?
    09-29-16 08:45 AM
    Blackberry is dead. Get used to it, get over it. As to the date where it was pronounced with a terminal illness, I think the diagnosis was the release date of BB10, with NO APP system, unlike iOS, and Android. Getting out of the phone business is a bad idea, but no one other than BB fanboys and some governments and corporations buys them anymore. More and more governmental entities are going iPhone. The Secret Service uses a Windows phone now, not a blackberry. Corporations are going iOS, or Android in droves. Let us contribute to BB's tombstone, and regrettably, move on. There are now only really Samsung, Apple, and LG as major players. HTC is going, Google phones are no longer affordable, Motorola has lost the magic, so it is really a Samsung/Apple world out there. And I dislike both.
    09-29-16 08:58 AM
    if i were you, i get p9982 (z10 with beef up hardware with extra ram). os 10.3.2 would work.
    09-29-16 09:00 AM
    OP I think you already know enough, and are looking for someone to talk you out of your decision.

BB10 is dead...
    Future of BB Android is now in question.... as there were some indications in the Earnings Call that the licensing would not included their special version of Android. If that isn't included, then there is really no reason to keep developing it. Just the suite of Apps would be necessary. Especially as I don't think these licensing deal are about offering secure phones... it's just about the BlackBerry brand in markets where it still has meaning. Which might end up only being Indonesa.

I'd go with what you company recommends.
    You're probably right. It was a last try to find a reason to use a BlackBerry device. It is somehow difficult to accept that these iconic devices will just vanish. Also sad to see that the mobile market offers that little diversity.

Anyways, I'll probably just go with iOS for my work phone and stick with Samsung for my private phone. That way I have a system that is actually supported and I won't have to deal with unnecessary hassle. Was thinking for that Android BlackBerry for a while but came to the conclusion that there is no real advantage to it.

Well... it seems like BlackBerry is really after all.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-29-16 09:56 AM
    It was mentioned.
    Really? Where?

You'll forgive me for being skeptical but I've not seen it covered on Crackberry or any other tech site that is reliable
    09-29-16 10:05 AM

Despite the mess, your post made my day and validates why I love reading the CB forums.

Quick question: Did you maybe miss yesterday's ER and the forum storm that occurred soon after?
    This place is really surrounded by a bubble of ignorance and wishful thinking isnt it!
    DrBoomBotz, JeepBB and chain13 like this.
    09-29-16 10:07 AM
    Really? Where?

You'll forgive me for being skeptical but I've not seen it covered on Crackberry or any other tech site that is reliable
    Please read the article on Crackberry by Bla1ze.
    09-29-16 10:43 AM
    Since I have seen some people using BB10, I know that it does work, even though it is limited as there is no BES in place anymore. By the way, this was also due to the immense monthly fees carriers charged for BES plans.
    I think you're confusing BES with BIS. BES has evolved into multi-OS MDM: BES12 Multi-OS MDM - United States

BlackBerry 10 phones doesn't require BIS, like the older BBOS phones, so BlackBerry 10 isn't "limited" by an absence of BIS. If you did want to use a BBOS phone, however, BIS is still around and free with AT&T (and I am pretty sure other US carriers).
    09-29-16 11:06 AM
    Well I happened to talk to Dylan. He clearly said that good news will come and there are lots of cool new devices in the pipeline. Kind of too good to be true. Maybe the BlackBerry brand is valuable to Chinese and Other Asian OEMs. I don't know if you guys follow but I would really like LeTv to license BlackBerry brand.
    Last edited by ardakca; 09-29-16 at 11:35 AM.
    09-29-16 11:11 AM
    Please read the article on Crackberry by Bla1ze.
    Which article.
    cant see anything that has concrete information
    09-29-16 12:05 PM
    Which article.
    cant see anything that has concrete information
    You asked for the mentioning?
    09-29-16 12:13 PM
    You asked for the mentioning?
    yes and i'm asking for which article where someone for Blackberry mentions the Mecury device
    09-29-16 12:20 PM
    yes and i'm asking for which article where someone for Blackberry mentions the Mecury device
    Alex Thurber clearly stated that at the end of July, that a pkb will be available at the end of the fiscal year. Moreover, Chen said the hw will be closed at the end of the fiscal year plus they had an in house pkb but he did not decide yet.

And when talking on BNN he clearly said a pkb will definitely come.

You don't have to be a genius.
    09-29-16 12:28 PM
    BlackBerry is always an option. These phones work fine and will continue to do so for years if you just need to make calls and check messages or email. If you like graphics or Internet, then BlackBerry is a poor option. But nothing wrong with having multiple devices.

I have a passport for a month now and love it. However, if it fails me, I always have a backup iPhone or android phone or a bunch of basic phones. Use BlackBerry if you like them but have a contingency plan. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Passport!
    09-29-16 01:10 PM
    Alex Thurber clearly stated that at the end of July, that a pkb will be available at the end of the fiscal year. Moreover, Chen said the hw will be closed at the end of the fiscal year plus they had an in house pkb but he did not decide yet.

ok. can i have a link to this article as I may have missed that
    09-29-16 01:10 PM
    This place is really surrounded by a bubble of ignorance and wishful thinking isnt it!
    I think you're being overly harsh.

After all, where else can you get to see several unicorns every single day... and the rainbows are sure to brighten up any dull Autumn day!

Yup. The level of denial is bizarre isn't it?

Nobody "out there", beyond the CB bubble, seems to be in any doubt over what Chen meant when he spoke yesterday. BB are done with hardware, and sooner is better than later. Not so much a retreat from hardware, more a stampede for the exit! - maybe even before they release the Mercury, prototypes of which apparently exist. The story in every newspaper and tech journal I've seen is in no doubt that it's over.

And yet, inside the bubble, Chen's message in the ER and subsequent interviews is somehow unclear. Out of Hardware? Not a bit of it, BB has simply passed responsibility for manufacture and is "outsourcing" production to Santa's Elves. Chen publicly pondering never releasing the Mercury? Not at all, he promised Claudia Winkleman that PKB's are here to stay. BB10 dead? No, No, NO! OS10.3.3 is in the final stages of NIAP certification and BB haven't ruled out releasing more BB10 phones when the time is right.

And so it goes on.

It's like those stories you read of widows who continue to iron their dead husband's shirts because (somehow) he's not dead until you stop ironing. Sad really.

I used to worry that it was me. That I was somehow failing to see the connections and positive outcomes that these other posters saw. I guess I'm just not a rainbows and unicorns kind of panda! It took a while to realise that they simply inhabited a different reality to me and once that penny had dropped, I really started to enjoy the wonderment that is the CB forums.

Truly, these forums are unique - I think I mean that in a good way! LOL
    09-29-16 01:12 PM

BB10 is software, isn't it?

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    09-29-16 01:20 PM

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    oh this cant be serious?

What else does BB10 run on other than phones?
    Without phones I'm sure they will continue developing BB10
    09-29-16 01:22 PM

After all, where else can you get to see several unicorns every single day... and the rainbows are sure to brighten up any dull Autumn day!

Nobody "out there", beyond the CB bubble, seems to be in any doubt over what Chen meant when he spoke yesterday. BB are done with hardware, and sooner is better than later. Not so much a retreat from hardware, more a stampede for the exit! - maybe even before they release the Mercury, prototypes of which apparently exist. The story in every newspaper and tech journal I've seen is in no doubt that it's over.

And yet, inside the bubble, Chen's message in the ER and subsequent interviews is somehow unclear. Out of Hardware? Not a bit of it, BB has simply passed responsibility for manufacture and is "outsourcing" production to Santa's Elves. Chen publicly pondering never releasing the Mercury? Not at all, he promised Claudia Winkleman that PKB's are here to stay. BB10 dead? No, No, NO! OS10.3.3 is in the final stages of NIAP certification and BB haven't ruled out releasing more BB10 phones when the time is right.

And so it goes on.

It's like those stories you read of widows who continue to iron their dead husband's shirts because (somehow) he's not dead until you stop ironing. Sad really.

I used to worry that it was me. That I was somehow failing to see the connections and positive outcomes that these other posters saw. I guess I'm just not a rainbows and unicorns kind of panda! It took a while to realise that they simply inhabited a different reality to me and once that penny had dropped, I really started to enjoy the wonderment that is the CB forums.

Now you are just being harsh.

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    09-29-16 01:22 PM

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    Stop!

I've just snorted coffee up my nose! LOL

Note to self: don't drink hot beverages whilst browsing CB.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and Karan Riar like this.
    09-29-16 01:24 PM

And so it goes on.

Dont forget the partnership with TCL!

Either redefining what partnership means, or maybe i'm in a partnership with mcdonalds whenever I'm hungry
    09-29-16 01:24 PM
    Now you are just being harsh.
    When you're only speculating, but your ego is wrapped up in being right, mockery and ridicule are always a reliable way to go.

-- or, as a colleague of mine put it, "The reason arguments among academics are so heated is because the stakes are so small."

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    09-29-16 02:06 PM
    When you're only speculating, but your ego is wrapped up in being right, mockery and ridicule are always a reliable way to go.

-- or, as a colleague of mine put it, "The reason arguments among academics are so heated is because the stakes are so small."

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    True all of us are speculating. The the point is BlackBerry hasn't officially said it has shelved BB10. They are still working on 10.3.3 and 10.3.4

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    David Tyler and Gebo like this.
    09-29-16 02:15 PM

What someone said in July has no bearing on what might happen after this Earnings Call - not really sure they have fully figured out what they are doing yet.

What I got from yesterday's Earnings Call and Chen's interviews was that they are getting out of the hardware business (design, manufacture, distribution and sales - zero impact on the books, other than positive revenue from licensing). The DTEK60 will be release (as it's already an inked deal), and they have designed the Mercury/Rome, but Chen has not determined if they will move forward with it. Now Chen does expect that the PKB design will be seen via some of their new licensing partner... just where/when it will be available is not as clear, as those seem to be regional licenses and they only have one at this point.

If Chen is saying "maybe", then you might as well forget it... he was committed to BB10 and those two updates.
    JeepBB, StephanieMaks and cgk like this.
    09-29-16 02:22 PM
140 1234 ...