06-17-09 08:33 AM
    this is an interesting read. can you imagine how well blackberry would be doing if they overhauled the user interface?
    06-17-09 08:50 AM
    Agreed. They've built their dominance through the enterprise and business market. I think they need to put some additional emphasis on the consumer market. The Pearl Flip was a good start. They need to expand that with consumer friendly applications and advanced multimedia and social networking capabilities.
    06-17-09 08:55 AM
    I doubt business predictions and figures show the real truth behind rim

before the storm everyone wanted a bb, many 1st time bb's went onto the phone with it's iphonesque screen and many I think will agree have left bb's well alone since and left

I feel they need to regroup..do what they do best and stick with that.

I particulary chuckled at the bit ......."The total value of a device goes far beyond the physical phone itself," said Castonguay. "Service, reliability and functionality all play a part in the total valuation, and BlackBerry continues to distinguish itself in those terms."

on that they clearly forgot the storm

at the momment they do not seem to have the push,drive and ability to go non business market and see it through aligned with a customer support to see it suceed

I truly hope they can, whilst I am unhappy with rim throughout the whole storm episode everyone must remember the storm isn't the only phone they make and the phones they do make (other than the storm) do a brilliant job
    06-17-09 09:44 AM
    Keep in mind RIM has MANY devices spread out over all the US networks and abroad where as Apple has 1 device stuck on 1 US carrier as well as many other carriers abroad.. I would say Apple is doing quite well with 1 device, I dont think this domination comparison is really fair at the moment..
    06-17-09 09:48 AM
    Keep in mind RIM has MANY devices spread out over all the US networks and abroad where as Apple has 1 device stuck on 1 US carrier as well as many other carriers abroad.. I would say Apple is doing quite well with 1 device, I dont think this domination comparison is really fair at the moment..
    I agree. No other company has been capable of penetrating the market as well as Apple did with their legacy iPhone. Not to say that RIM is doing a terrible job, they are doing quite well where a customer may choose what device he/she prefers and what network, etc.
    But they could do better. And they are, I would say as of last year RIM is now focusing on the consumer market.. and why wouldn't they? If they can make money out of it, they can easily do well in it. No matter where you go, everyone knows what a BlackBerry is. Everyone knows what an iPhone is. And that's what companies want, market penetration so we will always come back for the better devices being released.
    06-17-09 10:14 AM
    I think Apple's touchscreen is going to scare Business Professionals. I think certain corporations just wouldn't have time to deal with the touchscreen (even though its awesome). They'd rather have their workers with Blackberrys with buttons, etc. Also I know many corporations like tracking where their employees are through GPS through their Blackberrys. Does anyone know if Corporations can do that with an iPhone? THanks!
    06-20-09 09:17 AM
    Hmmmmm I wonder what it would be like is the iPhone had several different models on every carrier. Being as though they have 1 phone on 1 carrier in the US, and have as much market share as they do, is pretty astounding. I think if you compared the iPhone to ONE blackberry model on ONE carrier, the story might be a little different.
    06-20-09 09:47 AM
    I think if you compared the iPhone to ONE blackberry model on ONE carrier, the story might be a little different.
    Easily done. ATT sells more iPhones than Bolds by a long shot. Also, ATT sells more iPhones than Verizon does Storms. It is because of the multiple carriers and multiple devices that RIM is this far ahead. But good credit to RIM, they are holding the top spot very well.
    06-20-09 10:34 AM
    I would hope so with all the different devices and years head start.
    06-20-09 10:49 AM
    RIM has a huge advantage over the others that gives them a lock on the government and most businesses. AES encryption and FIPS 140-2 approval for phone to BES/BIS servers. This will be needed by any competitor to make serious competition in that sector. And as for the UI comments, the iPhone is icons to launch apps (same as RIM), and it's multitasking capability is very poor.
    06-20-09 02:43 PM
    Amusing article. Even with the sales figures posted RIM is still in
    the lower tier as far as market share is concerned. That wasn't
    important enough to rate a mention?
    06-20-09 05:40 PM
    "BlackBerry will have to adapt its operating system to become much more consumer-friendly."

This statement couldn't be more true.
    06-20-09 07:57 PM
    I'm amazed that a smartphone can be a leader, let alone be called a smartphone, and still have crap HTML browsing support, playschool HTML email support, and email truncation on long emails.

RIM's apparently brainwashed everyone so good, they don't know any better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-09 07:56 AM
    I'm amazed that a smartphone can be a leader, let alone be called a smartphone, and still have crap HTML browsing support, playschool HTML email support, and email truncation on long emails.

RIM's apparently brainwashed everyone so good, they don't know any better.

I'm telling you BB fanboys is as bad as everyone else. They are just more professional. With the way WebOS, Android, and Apple are looking, Rim needs to step up a little. Skyfire will be a game changer for us, but Palm and Android will get Flash 10 in October.
    Last edited by Sinternet Jr.; 06-27-09 at 08:26 AM.
    06-27-09 08:06 AM
    Honestly, Android is not looking too good at the moment. They don't have any corporate email support. Without at least ActveSync support for Exchange they might as well not be there.

06-27-09 11:46 AM
    I compared bb and iphone because I use my curve for personal use. While I agree that the iphone has a lot of features that make it a great consumer choice, let's be honest, the vast majority of iphone buyers would probably buy the iphone no matter how good or bad it is. I mean, really-- in day to day life, is a compass that important? I'd rather have a keyboard and fast email access. If I want the best internet experience, I will break out my macbook pro. That's my opinion.

06-27-09 11:56 AM
    I compared bb and iphone because I use my curve for personal use. While I agree that the iphone has a lot of features that make it a great consumer choice, let's be honest, the vast majority of iphone buyers would probably buy the iphone no matter how good or bad it is. I mean, really-- in day to day life, is a compass that important? I'd rather have a keyboard and fast email access. If I want the best internet experience, I will break out my macbook pro. That's my opinion.

Well I agree some people will buy it jsut to buy it.

But ah grasshopper the compass is more than just a compass app- people seem to look past that like its some toy. When you use google maps, the whole map turns towards what direction youre going in (using the internal comapass) making navigation on google maps MUCH easier vs a static map like the competition. Trust me it makes a huge difference getting around. when they implement street view imagine how nice that will be that when you turn the street view turns with you towards where youre looking.

And not everyone lugs a laptop around, Id guess VERY few of the general population, and some need true mobile browsing.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 06-27-09 at 03:03 PM.
    06-27-09 02:57 PM
    Honestly, Android is not looking too good at the moment. They don't have any corporate email support. Without at least ActveSync support for Exchange they might as well not be there.

Did you see the Android with the Sense UI? It looks like a motivated WebOs with flair. I agree with you, but they really have the potential to become something better.
    06-27-09 02:58 PM
    Android and the Pre are suffering the same current fate. They are both stuck to one US carriers (the 2 smallest of the major carriers), and unlike the iphone, dont have that kind of selling power by its name alone nor the customer base that ATT carries to sell to.

Until there are more android and Web OS devices, I wouldnt expect any extraordinary jump in popularity or adoption.I think itll still be a good 1/2 year-1 year for Android to be widely adopted, and at least another year before Web OS is widely adopted.
    06-27-09 03:05 PM
    Well I agree some people will buy it jsut to buy it.

But ah grasshopper the compass is more than just a compass app- people seem to look past that like its some toy. When you use google maps, the whole map turns towards what direction youre going in (using the internal comapass) making navigation on google maps MUCH easier vs a static map like the competition. Trust me it makes a huge difference getting around. when they implement street view imagine how nice that will be that when you turn the street view turns with you towards where youre looking.

And not everyone lugs a laptop around, Id guess VERY few of the general population, and some need true mobile browsing.
    Ah, I didn't notice the compass via gps nav. I, for one, looked at the compass as a toy because its marketed as just a compass.

06-27-09 04:32 PM

No let's be honest, the vast majority of blackberry users will buy a blackberry because it's a blackberry. They are just as brainwashed and drinking the koolaid too.
    06-27-09 09:27 PM
    I buy a blackberry because it makes my jock look bigger. The iPhone would only hinder my sexiness and make me look like a backstreet boy.

Happy to see RIM above all else. how is that for competition.
    06-27-09 09:47 PM
    No let's be honest, the vast majority of blackberry users will buy a blackberry because it's a blackberry. They are just as brainwashed and drinking the koolaid too.
    lol very true. only difference is that blackberry's are actually better (coming from a total non fanboy that just got a bold yesterday. )
    06-27-09 09:50 PM
    I dunno. You may be right. I bought the bb, all of them because they do what they do better than the other smartphones. I'm too old to be a fanboy, so that's just reality in my case.

06-28-09 09:19 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD