Just seen a z10 and the BlackBerry Logo on the Global News in the cover story of vinyl records making a comeback. The z30 rocks the wired Thunder dome and now the z10 being linked to something cool again. Hard to believe!
    01-17-14 04:45 PM
    It's about time!! We've known all along that BB is cool!
    01-17-14 04:56 PM
    Just seen a z10 and the BlackBerry Logo on the Global News in the cover story of vinyl records making a comeback. The z30 rocks the wired Thunder dome and now the z10 being linked to something cool again. Hard to believe!
    Linking the BlackBerry logo to a story about vinyl records isn't exactly my idea of cool. There's a minuscule sliver of people who like vinyl records, but not the masses. Sounds like they're equating the BlackBerry brand to vinyl records...
    atifsid, devin266, CDM76 and 1 others like this.
    01-17-14 05:00 PM
    No

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 05:02 PM
    Linking the BlackBerry logo to a story about vinyl records isn't exactly my idea of cool. There's a minuscule sliver of people who like vinyl records, but not the masses. Sounds like they're equating the BlackBerry brand to vinyl records...
    The story was about how vinyl record are resurging in sales and are becoming cool. Digital sound is digital sound. Vinyl is true analogue sound. Real sound that your ears truly enjoy. They were also demonstrating a cool app on bb10 regarding the cool. Don't be so negative.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 05:11 PM
    Not yet but the truth is that John Chen is having a positive impact on the companies profile.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 05:19 PM
    The story was about how vinyl record are resurging in sales and are becoming cool. Digital sound is digital sound. Vinyl is true analogue sound. Real sound that your ears truly enjoy. They were also demonstrating a cool app on bb10 regarding the cool. Don't be so negative.
    Plenty of people "truly enjoy" digital sound as well. In fact, the average person probably can't distinguish between the two, and for those people, the benefits of digital (portability, ease of use, etc) far outweigh any actual advantage of vinyl. Also, let's keep things in perspective; it's not as though record players are suddenly available widely.

As for the "dont be so negative" you threw in at the end, disagreeing with you is not the equivalent of being negative.
    kthhrrsn and JeepBB like this.
    01-17-14 05:38 PM
    No,but all this NSA stuff i'm sure is helping.

Z10 on Telus
    milo53 and rudyalexc like this.
    01-17-14 05:47 PM
    Just saying... What goes around comes around... it wont be long before iPhones and Androids look outdated and BB makes a comeback... might be possible might not be... Never know.

I truly enjoy Vinyl sound. I had some records back when I was young. I may have them stored somewhere so time to take them out and resurrect my player.

But I am sure that BB as a company will stay afloat...
    DJM626, mjdimer and world saviour like this.
    01-17-14 05:49 PM
    Plenty of people "truly enjoy" digital sound as well. In fact, the average person probably can't distinguish between the two, and for those people, the benefits of digital (portability, ease of use, etc) far outweigh any actual advantage of vinyl. Also, let's keep things in perspective; it's not as though record players are suddenly available widely.

As for the "dont be so negative" you threw in at the end, disagreeing with you is not the equivalent of being negative.
    Whats funny about this is that a friend of mine just switched companies and he posted a picture of a new mac and a blackberry box he received from his new employer. The comments were the same as they have been for the past few years, "oh, blackberry still exists?" "They are going out of business" "They are bankrupt" so on and so on… however, we know this to not be the case at all, yes blackberry is struggling and yes they it doesn't look that great as they try to turn around the company….

Now lets look at vinyl and how they have a great and positive point on comparing the two.. Vinyl died when the Cassette tape was born, it was a massive upgrade, you could hold more songs, it was portable and it was more durable, then it was ousted by the CD and currently the iPod.. The cassette tape died a horrible death, nothing really remains commercially from it.. So how could something like a vinyl record stay alive longer than the cassette tape..? Vinyl has a unique sound, a unique feel and believe it or not there are still a vast majority of DJs that actually mix using Vinyl… So as history repeats itself, its only right that vinyl begins to come back as a sweet fad… Now how does blackberry play into this?

Its the same, blackberry is surviving because it gives the industry something no one else does… Blackberry failed because they tried to adapt to what they saw the people wanting (iPhones, androids, touch screens) . Now that the new CEO is here and getting blackberry back to the roots of what made blackberry the giant it is now, its no wonder the street and people are starting to gain a little bit of confidence… If you haven't noticed, you can go to walmart or best buy or most anny current tech shop and pick up a phono/ record player…. The Vinyl is making a come back, a slow one but its coming back.. it will never be what it once was… but it will make an honest earning from a honest market…. So yea keep doubting vinyl, just like blackberry and it will smack you in the face, just like bell bottoms, just like the harlem shake, just like twerking and every other thing that went out and came back…
    01-17-14 06:11 PM
    When did BlackBerry stop being considered cool O_o

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 06:29 PM
    I don't really care what other people think is cool. It's not cool to care.

My Z10 seems pretty cool to me, and that's all that matters.

Vinyl does have a wonderful warm sound that digital will never achieve, particularly the mp3 format which is a copy of a copy of a copy. A lot of people don't even really know what good sound is anymore. Flac is a very full digital format. I hope it catches on because I can't see spinning vinyl on the go.
    srzjumper and world saviour like this.
    01-17-14 09:54 PM
    Yeah. The Blackberry Storm is awesome. It has downloadable apps like the iPhone, an awesome 3.2 MP camera, and a virtual QWERTY keyboard. Not only that, but it has a great music player and a fantastic speaker that goes with the music. Here's a bunch of reviews that I found at my favorite review site on the Storm.
    God I hope this is sarcasm

Posted via CB10
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    01-17-14 11:55 PM

It's actually a great analogy. The point is not what most other people use and enjoy. Regardless of the overwhelming majority of consumers who prefer the convenience of digital, there's a small group of audiophiles who truly can appreciate the difference in fidelity between digital and analog. I see a lot of parallels between those and the select few who appreciate the benefits of BB and prefer it over what most other consumers use. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that more people can learn to appreciate those benefits as well, even if the platform doesn't catch fire and take over the industry as it once did.
    01-18-14 12:19 AM
    I don't know if it's becoming cool but I'm seeing more BlackBerry 10 phones in the wild than I expected to. I was at a P!nk concert in Edmonton last night and in the two rows in front of me I counted 3 Z10's and 2 Q10's.

Went to the Bell store today and upgraded my sister to a Z30. The salesguy only asked us 3 times if we were sure she wanted a BlackBerry before he went and retrieved one. He wasn't rude but we did have to convince him we knew how it worked before he'd believe we knew what we wanted.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 01:49 AM
    Lol good one OP!

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 04:27 AM
    Not quite yet. Although my trust in BlackBerry disappeared a long time ago, it seems as if things are getting better, and a huge comeback is possible. It seems like BlackBerry is curving back onto the right track.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 06:45 AM
    I don't think BlackBerry is becoming "cool" again. I just think people are bashing less. Bashing BlackBerry was the cool at one point, although idk why.

Posted via Q10
    epark88 and world saviour like this.
    01-18-14 08:04 AM
    I'm not sure. I still haven't seen a stranger with a BB10 device and I haven't seen any BlackBerry advertisements anywhere.

It doesn't help that BBs newest offering is only available on one carrier.
    01-18-14 08:12 AM
    Whats funny about this is that a friend of mine just switched companies and he posted a picture of a new mac and a blackberry box he received from his new employer. The comments were the same as they have been for the past few years, "oh, blackberry still exists?" "They are going out of business" "They are bankrupt" so on and so on� however, we know this to not be the case at all, yes blackberry is struggling and yes they it doesn't look that great as they try to turn around the company�.

Now lets look at vinyl and how they have a great and positive point on comparing the two.. Vinyl died when the Cassette tape was born, it was a massive upgrade, you could hold more songs, it was portable and it was more durable, then it was ousted by the CD and currently the iPod.. The cassette tape died a horrible death, nothing really remains commercially from it.. So how could something like a vinyl record stay alive longer than the cassette tape..? Vinyl has a unique sound, a unique feel and believe it or not there are still a vast majority of DJs that actually mix using Vinyl� So as history repeats itself, its only right that vinyl begins to come back as a sweet fad� Now how does blackberry play into this?

Its the same, blackberry is surviving because it gives the industry something no one else does� Blackberry failed because they tried to adapt to what they saw the people wanting (iPhones, androids, touch screens) . Now that the new CEO is here and getting blackberry back to the roots of what made blackberry the giant it is now, its no wonder the street and people are starting to gain a little bit of confidence� If you haven't noticed, you can go to walmart or best buy or most anny current tech shop and pick up a phono/ record player�. The Vinyl is making a come back, a slow one but its coming back.. it will never be what it once was� but it will make an honest earning from a honest market�. So yea keep doubting vinyl, just like blackberry and it will smack you in the face, just like bell bottoms, just like the harlem shake, just like twerking and every other thing that went out and came back�
    While I like much of what you've said on a personal level, I also recognize that some of my own convictions are based upon metrics understood by a minute minority of people, and no small amount of romantic hope/faith. No argument about cassette over vinyl. I'm somewhat familiar w/ the "wheels of steel", and personally know many DJ's and producers from the early 90's, countless friends & acquaintances from over 25 yrs of being involved in dance clubs, I've seen over the last 6-7 yrs something I'd never have believed, which is many world-class, big name EDM DJ's (from the 90's, not just the new ones) playing gigs totally digitally. Gigs that rock crowds numbering in the thousands. At the same time, I also recently attended a show that included live string, percussion, and wind instruments supporting the two original artists, who were center stage on a podium standing behind a synth-keyboard and macbook pro, each. Certainly an interesting dialogue, and one near and dear to this old kid. While I've carefully stayed away from name-dropping, which I detest, I will admit to be a founding member of MOS, known in the old days as the Ministry of Sound.

SQN100-2 | 10.2.1.1055
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    01-18-14 10:47 AM
    For me, it started being cool again when my teen decided that the Z10 is the phone for her. This is a child that has had about four Android devices prior and an iPod iTouch. She still has her Galaxy tablet. I asked if she was concerned about her friends making fun of her. She said she didn't care. Now her friends think it is cool. She is now educating them about NFC and Smart Tags too. I think it is about being knowledgeable than cool and choosing the right device for your needs.

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10 with 1925
    Gatmyer likes this.
    01-18-14 10:55 AM
    Now lets look at vinyl and how they have a great and positive point on comparing the two.. Vinyl died when the Cassette tape was born, it was a massive upgrade, you could hold more songs, it was portable and it was more durable, then it was ousted by the CD and currently the iPod.. The cassette tape died a horrible death, nothing really remains commercially from it.. So how could something like a vinyl record stay alive longer than the cassette tape..? Vinyl has a unique sound, a unique feel and believe it or not there are still a vast majority of DJs that actually mix using Vinyl… So as history repeats itself, its only right that vinyl begins to come back as a sweet fad… Now how does blackberry play into this?
    First of all, the cassette tape didn’t kill vinyl. The cassette tape was available beginning in the 1970s, and coexisted with vinyl records all the way through the mid to late 1980s. If you want to claim the CD “killed” vinyl in as much as it ceased being a major format, then that would be a fair.

Second, the iPod didn’t kill CDs; the a la carte music purchase did.

Its the same, blackberry is surviving because it gives the industry something no one else does… Blackberry failed because they tried to adapt to what they saw the people wanting (iPhones, androids, touch screens) .
    No; BBRY’s failure was making its BB10 transition five years late. BBRY’s failure has less to do with the iPhone or Android, and more to do with clinging to its legacy platform for too long.

If you haven't noticed, you can go to walmart or best buy or most anny current tech shop and pick up a phono/ record player…. The Vinyl is making a come back, a slow one but its coming back.. it will never be what it once was… but it will make an honest earning from a honest market…. So yea keep doubting vinyl, just like blackberry and it will smack you in the face, just like bell bottoms, just like the harlem shake, just like twerking and every other thing that went out and came back…
    I have noticed that they sell record players, but of course they don’t sell records, which tells us all we need to know. As for “doubting” vinyl, I’m really not doubting it as much as I’m being honest about its prospects, which aren’t good. That doesn’t mean it’s a poor format or that it lacks advantages, but it does mean that as important as it is to some, it’s incredibly limited. If that’s what you hope for BB10, then fine. But at least be honest about those limits.
    JeepBB and kthhrrsn like this.
    01-18-14 11:00 AM
    It's actually a great analogy. The point is not what most other people use and enjoy. Regardless of the overwhelming majority of consumers who prefer the convenience of digital, there’s a small group of audiophiles who truly can appreciate the difference in fidelity between digital and analog. I see a lot of parallels between those and the select few who appreciate the benefits of BB and prefer it over what most other consumers use. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that more people can learn to appreciate those benefits as well, even if the platform doesn't catch fire and take over the industry as it once did.
    I bolded the issues right there. BBRY can’t rely on something akin to “a small group of audiophiles” or a “select few”, which is why the company has been struggling recently. In fact, I suspect BBRY’s current market penetration vastly exceeds that of record players, such that to mimic the success of vinyl right now, BBRY would have to lose customers.

Also, there’s almost nothing in this world that is “beyond the realm of possibility”, so that’s basically a throwaway statement. As an example, it also wasn’t "beyond the realm of possibility" that people could "learn" to appreciate the benefits of Betamax over VHS, or the Macintosh over Windows 95, or [insert arguably superior but poor market performing product here] over [insert arguably inferior but better performing product here]. History is littered with companies that relied on consumers “learning” that their product is in fact better than the competition, yet it almost never happens. In fact, I can’t think of an example where it has happened and really made a difference. After all, even if we look at the Mac’s recent success, Windows still owns nearly 80% of the market.
    JeepBB and kthhrrsn like this.
    01-18-14 11:12 AM
    Yes

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 11:16 AM
    I think I've come to recognize one of the primary causes of this schism.... BlackBerry users are involved and invested, and care enough to dig into an issue, whether it be about the economic strategies, or whether it's about OS kernels and porting apps. not that I've spent much time on iOS or Android forums, but I seriously wonder if the same breadth of topics, addressed and conversed in the same depth and cogency happens there. It's all about laziness, at the end of the day. Instant gratification vs satisfaction from a deeper delving into the core of any of these issues. While an expert in my own field, I'm constantly amazed, and happily engaged just reading what people say, about issues on which I have no clue. BlackBerry users are thinkers, and do-ers....we use tools to achieve a goal, and are constantly engaged in efforts to improve said tools. As opposed to the other mentality, best expressed by "oh, look at this new cool app....you blow on the touchscreen to see if the woman's skirt will lift".....too many of these silly frivolous instances are already making it to BB10.....and not enough on real apps that we need. Business tools, banking & financial apps....sigh....not sure how this speaks to "being, or becoming, cool", but that was always an anathema anyway.

SQN100-2 | 10.2.1.1055
    01-18-14 12:24 PM
69 123