I was walking around the mall with my sister when one of the sprint representative caught me with a great deal that easily beats my current tmobile plan. He asked me what kind of phone I had, to which I whipped out my Classic. He asked why I like it and if I'm considering switching. I said the only way I would switch phones is if they had another BlackBerry device. He then started talking about the Priv I believe and said they will be getting a BlackBerry device soon. I assumed it was the Priv but it didn't make sense because the Priv is nearing one year of release and Sprint would be selling an outdated phone. So I told him that he must be confused. But he told me in his last month's meeting they said that BlackBerry will be back with Sprint. He was confident about that. Is BlackBerry coming back to Sprint maybe with the Rome and Hamburg?

Posted via CB10
    06-11-16 06:47 AM
    That would be fantastic news!
    06-11-16 07:04 AM
    I wouldn't use Sprint if it was free. JMHO.
    bakron1, web99, lactose and 5 others like this.
    06-11-16 07:04 AM
    I don't know that a guy working in a kiosk in a mall would have any idea on what handsets Sprint is going to release.
    06-11-16 07:37 AM
    I don't know that a guy working in a kiosk in a mall would have any idea on what handsets Sprint is going to release.
    I disagree, it was probably their CEO at this point.
    06-11-16 08:49 AM
    I disagree, it was probably their CEO at this point.
    Hahaha, well done.
    06-11-16 08:49 AM
    So, here's why it's probably unlikely that Sprint will get another BB phone - and why they didn't pick up the Priv:

Sprint's cell phone network is "unique" - in a bad way - in that they both use CDMA in a world that is mostly GSM, and because their LTE frequencies are also unique from most other networks. Essentially, this means that phones made for Sprint's network (including their MVNOs Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile) have to have completely different radios from other phones, or to be more specific, that Sprint phones have to be specially ordered and the only "customer" for those phones is Sprint - because no other network operator can use phones with Sprint's combination of radios.

So, in order for Sprint to buy any phone, they have to be willing to order a minimum number of phones - enough for a production batch to be profitable for the manufacturer. If that manufacturer is Apple or Samsung or LG, no problem - they'll sell enough of those without question. But for a niche player like BB, it might mean a minimum order of 100k phones or so. It's this exact situation that led to Sprint having so few BB10 models - they only ordered the few phone models that they felt they could sell this minimum number of phones, because the alternative is Sprint being stuck with phones they have to write off if they can't sell them in a reasonable amount of time (smartphones are "perishable" - they grow a little more obsolete every day).

An AT&T or a T-Mobile phone is GSM and can be used all over the world, so a phone manufacturer could sell stock they couldn't end up selling to one of those carriers to a smaller GSM carrier somewhere in the world, but a Sprint phone is useless in most places. Yes, Verizon also uses CDMA, but not only are they the biggest carrier (and able to sell far more phones overall), they spec their phones to include radios that make them usable in many other areas of the world.

I wouldn't recommend anyone switching to Sprint unless you're in an area where only Sprint provides good coverage. Otherwise, their network - the worst of the Big 4 by far - makes their phones the least valuable for resale and also causes many less-common phones never to appear for their network.

No, it isn't impossible that Sprint carries a BB phone again, but IMO it's pretty unlikely...
    svelt, Jack Chin, grydlok and 1 others like this.
    06-11-16 02:38 PM
    Yeah I doubt he knows what device they could be releasing since he doesn't know squat about BlackBerry. But he said it was in their meeting that they will be getting a BlackBerry device soon. He said it was android version of BlackBerry so it could be Priv or the newer ones.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-16 05:10 PM
    So, here's why it's probably unlikely that Sprint will get another BB phone - and why they didn't pick up the Priv:

Sprint's cell phone network is "unique" - in a bad way - in that they both use CDMA in a world that is mostly GSM, and because their LTE frequencies are also unique from most other networks. Essentially, this means that phones made for Sprint's network (including their MVNOs Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile) have to have completely different radios from other phones, or to be more specific, that Sprint phones have to be specially ordered and the only "customer" for those phones is Sprint - because no other network operator can use phones with Sprint's combination of radios.

So, in order for Sprint to buy any phone, they have to be willing to order a minimum number of phones - enough for a production batch to be profitable for the manufacturer. If that manufacturer is Apple or Samsung or LG, no problem - they'll sell enough of those without question. But for a niche player like BB, it might mean a minimum order of 100k phones or so. It's this exact situation that led to Sprint having so few BB10 models - they only ordered the few phone models that they felt they could sell this minimum number of phones, because the alternative is Sprint being stuck with phones they have to write off if they can't sell them in a reasonable amount of time (smartphones are "perishable" - they grow a little more obsolete every day).

An AT&T or a T-Mobile phone is GSM and can be used all over the world, so a phone manufacturer could sell stock they couldn't end up selling to one of those carriers to a smaller GSM carrier somewhere in the world, but a Sprint phone is useless in most places. Yes, Verizon also uses CDMA, but not only are they the biggest carrier (and able to sell far more phones overall), they spec their phones to include radios that make them usable in many other areas of the world.

I wouldn't recommend anyone switching to Sprint unless you're in an area where only Sprint provides good coverage. Otherwise, their network - the worst of the Big 4 by far - makes their phones the least valuable for resale and also causes many less-common phones never to appear for their network.

No, it isn't impossible that Sprint carries a BB phone again, but IMO it's pretty unlikely...
    Ya wrong about Sprint having less than stellar coverage. I had em for 6 years till a personal problem caused me to give em up.
    I drive a truck coast to coast and I have had all the major carriers at some point in time and by far Sprint has the best for over the road drivers hands down over Verizon because they have better roaming coverage.
    Verizon has their own towers and want you to use em more so than other carriers towers.
    I could roam on outdated towers and still have voice in the middle of nowhere no data but at least I could call for help.
    The worst for coverage is T-Mobile then up from that would be AT&T and Verizon would be about a tie in terms of Data coverage top dog would be Sprint.
    Data I give to Verizon only for speed but since I could use 3 G which is better than nothing I give to Sprint.
    Verizon has too many holes especially in Kentucky and Indiana and South Carolina T-Mobile is a joke in Ohio and neither can be trusted in my line of work when I may need to find a customer in rural areas.
    I would only trust Sprint and AT&T for coverage in some of the most remote areas of the country and if my phone could use a duel sim card I'd combine the two definitely not Verizon and especially T-Mobile.
    And yes I used an external Antenna and booster set up quite well too.
    Been there done that and only if they have built more towers or included more roaming would there be any significant changes to any of the aforementioned in the last 5 years or so that I don't know about would I say anything different.
    I've been around these phones nationwide use when AT&T first came out with em along with Track Phone.
    Sure all carriers have a hole or two some more than others.

Posted via CB10
    lactose likes this.
    06-12-16 09:59 AM
    Sprints own data shows that they have the least coverage. Note that most places you'll be able to make phone calls, because that's the most important level of coverage and the widest - there are also roaming agreements in place to make sure this is possible in most locations. But data - particularly high-speed LTE data, is a whole different story, and Sprint is 4th out of 4 among the big players. That's not debatable - it's measurable fact.

Of course, for most people, what really matters is: can I get coverage at home, work, and the other couple of places I spend most of my time at? If you can get this on Sprint, for most people, that's enough. It doesn't invalidate anything I posted above, though, and Sprint phones have the smallest resale market and lowest resale value - also provably true.
    06-15-16 03:00 PM
    Sprints own data shows that they have the least coverage. Note that most places you'll be able to make phone calls, because that's the most important level of coverage and the widest - there are also roaming agreements in place to make sure this is possible in most locations. But data - particularly high-speed LTE data, is a whole different story, and Sprint is 4th out of 4 among the big players. That's not debatable - it's measurable fact.

Of course, for most people, what really matters is: can I get coverage at home, work, and the other couple of places I spend most of my time at? If you can get this on Sprint, for most people, that's enough. It doesn't invalidate anything I posted above, though, and Sprint phones have the smallest resale market and lowest resale value - also provably true.
    I agree with you on that a hundred and ten percent!

Posted via CB10
    06-16-16 06:21 PM
    While I am skeptical about Sprint offering another BlackBerry device, we have used Sprint for many years traveling throughout New England with very good results. In fact, in remote places in northern New England, Sprint, US Celluar and Verizon are the best choices where Tmo and Att coverage is still non existent. In addition, I have regularly used the Sprint Open World Plan with a Sprint Q10 roaming on very strong 3g GSM, Bell and Rogers signals throughout Quebec. (Surprise homerun for Sprint). While it's true Sprints LTE service is not technically as fast as ATT and Tmo in metropolitan areas, I do not hesitate to recommend Sprint for those who insist on a great value and unlimited data here in New England. In addition, while its also true a Sprint phone resale value is cheaper, this could be viewed as an advantage for those who have discovered the great value in Sprint. Just sayin!

Posted via CB10
    06-16-16 09:59 PM

Oh you mean just like Verizon phones to.
    06-17-16 07:30 AM
    I've been on Sprint going on 20 years, Before there was a T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T wireless. Currently I'm using a Sprint phone that has there CDMA bands in it. but also has "GSM/GPRS/EDGE; 850/900/1800/1900; 3G UTMS: 850/AWS(1700)/1900/2100; FDD LTE bands 2,4,5,12,25,26 and TDD LTE band 41. Maybe you should do a little research on devices before especially on Sprint before sprouting FUD.
    06-17-16 07:40 AM
    @kg4icg
    Point taken
    I live 1/4 mile from Sprint tower but have my passport on ATT whose nearest tower is 5 miles east of me. I work from home - lots of phone interviews. Love my BB.
    What phone has both GMS and CDMA for sprint? While I live here, I will keep a Sprint phone and am currently riding my 4s until it croaks. I would love to consider your device model as a replacement.
    Re doing research - tons of it but aside from another iPh I haven't the foggiest clue what to choose...
    Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    06-17-16 08:10 PM
    @blackice

Yeah - I agree - between Sprint and ATT I manage to stay connected and I live in rural Virginia in the foothills of the Blue Ridge. If there's signal, my BlackBerry will pick it up - got my first - the 9900 - in October 2014 as an experiment - great call quality. Now that I have the Passport, I keep the 9900 for foreign travel & just pop local sim into it. My PP will travel also but I know the 9900 will get the job done and it's great to have reliable backup...it's too bad they take different Sims. I've heard too many horror stories about adapters and I'm chicken re the risk... lol

Posted via CB10
    06-17-16 08:22 PM
    I have my Q10 and the frequencies I gave are in my HTC One A9. Also in the LG G Flex 2 that I have.
    06-17-16 08:32 PM
    Oh
    Q10
    Bought one gently used branded for sprint - seems you have to have the Sprint sim to BYOD - and I think they dropped support of all BBs at sprint...
    Keep meaning to go in to the local store - I have other questions for them.
    Problem is I played with the Q10 and it's okay but not great.
    Thanks - will cross the replacement device bridge when the 4s flatlines...

Posted via CB10
    06-17-16 09:55 PM
    [QUOTE=PonyCrazyKid;

"...What phone has both GMS and CDMA for sprint? While I live here, I will keep a Sprint phone and am currently riding my 4s until it croaks. I would love to consider your device model as a replacement.
    Re doing research - tons of it but aside from another iPh I haven't the foggiest clue what to choose...
    Thanks!"

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]
    PonyCrazyKid asked..."what phone has GMS and CDMA for Sprint?"

To clarify:
    The Sprint issued Q10 will pick up a UTMS/ GSM signal only while roaming a foreign country and one registers the phone with Sprint on their International Roaming Plan. Otherwise, in the USA, it's CDMA Only, unless of course your on either the US / Canadian or US-Mexican border and the phone is set to "Global" or "UMTS - GSM in the network settings on the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-16 11:32 PM
    Oh thank you @davantash
    I think it will all resolve itself easily when the time is right.
    The signal for my 9900 was fine even with interference from the foliage on trees and hills and the Passport has a super antenna.
    So maybe I will drop Sprint when the 4s croaks...
    I really prefer the 9900 over the Q10 and I get much better value for my money traveling with unlocked GSM BlackBerry and buying local sim when I get to foreign destinations. The passport - it's a total workhorse!

Posted via CB10
    06-18-16 06:55 PM