Windows is moving in the wrong direction in mobile according to the latest data from comScore.

Google�s Android ranked as the top smartphone platform for the last three months of 2012 with 53.4% market share (up 0.9 percentage points).

Apple�s share, meanwhile, increased 2 percentage points to 36.3%.

Although Blackberry saw its numbers decline, it remained in third place overall with 6.4%.

The worst news, quite possibly, was reserved for Microsoft, which witnessed its share fall from 3.6% to 2.9%.
    Windows Phone Market Share Falls in U.S. | Mobile Marketing Watch
    02-13-13 12:12 AM
    Look out MS, BB10 is on its way.
    Look out ios and android as well for that matter.
    neteng1000 and HUNTZODIAC like this.
    02-13-13 12:54 AM
    What 3 months period did this cover? Article is dated Feb 7. There couldn't have been many BB 10 sales by then.
    02-13-13 01:23 AM
    What 3 months period did this cover? Article is dated Feb 7. There couldn't have been many BB 10 sales by then.
    This is in the US. BB10 isn't on sale in the US just yet. The article is talking about the BB OS7, but i don;t know which 3 month period this article is covering though.
    I'm quite surprised Nokia share is going down, I thought Nokia and its Windows 8 phones are a great hit ?
    Weeber and richardat like this.
    02-13-13 01:26 AM
    [QUOTE=chrysaurora;7978078]What 3 months period did this cover? Article is dated Feb 7. There couldn't have been many BB 10 sales by then.

It clearly states the last 3 months of 2012.
    02-13-13 01:38 AM
    Look out MS, BB10 is on its way.
    Look out ios and android as well for that matter.
    I like these odds
    02-13-13 01:39 AM
    Dan Rubino must be sweating
    02-13-13 01:57 AM
    These are the kind of articles that will help shareholders. Not technology advantages IMO.
    02-13-13 02:09 AM
    Lol, that was exactly my thought too.
    02-13-13 10:49 AM
    I know one person that had a Windows 8 phone. 2 days alter, he returned it for an iPhone 5.
    02-13-13 11:13 AM
    The frightening part for Wp8 is the way app development has ground to a halt.... there have been a couple of articles posted chronicalling the slide of apps development for the Platform........ news that an Android Player is now going to be available... not sure how goodi it is though.....
    02-13-13 11:34 AM
    The frightening part for Wp8 is the way app development has ground to a halt.... there have been a couple of articles posted chronicalling the slide of apps development for the Platform........ news that an Android Player is now going to be available... not sure how goodi it is though.....
    i assume you are referring to Bluestacks when you speak of the android player...in this case this will not be available for windows phone 8, currently they have plans to support windows 8, no word on the phones.
    02-13-13 11:40 AM
    alright US carriers hurry up and get bb10 to your market. i want to see that 6.4% grow!
    HUNTZODIAC and dphjeff like this.
    02-13-13 11:44 AM
    Lolololololololol that's soooo funny. LOL
    02-13-13 08:12 PM
    Hopefully BB will do nothing more to hurt themselves and solidify this even more with solid BB10 sales.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    02-13-13 08:27 PM
    This is in the US. BB10 isn't on sale in the US just yet. The article is talking about the BB OS7, but i don;t know which 3 month period this article is covering though.
    I'm quite surprised Nokia share is going down, I thought Nokia and its Windows 8 phones are a great hit ?
    3 month period ending Dec 2012 (Oct-Nov-Dec)
    02-13-13 10:40 PM
    Just had a fight. With my firewall in windows 7 and I'll tell you Windows is screwed. Seriously their base firewall after all this is as dumb as a box of rocks and has zero tools to help you with the most basic of things.
    02-13-13 10:53 PM
    Just had a fight. With my firewall in windows 7 and I'll tell you Windows is screwed. Seriously their base firewall after all this is as dumb as a box of rocks and has zero tools to help you with the most basic of things.
    What's wrong with it? You realize you can disable it and use whatever third party one you want?
    02-13-13 11:31 PM
    with apple going down 2%, and THEN stopping new device from being built I think we can see an even greater decline coming up before the summer.

Apple 36% and drops 6% next quarter = Apple at 30%
    BB at 6% and goes up even 2% = BB at 8%

the 30% gap becomes 22%... one more quarter like that and the numbers look like this:

Apple at 30% and drops 5% = Apple at 25%
    BB at 8% and goes up even 3% = BB at 11%

14% gap... just in half a year!

(obviously 100% speculation/guesstimating... but it is interesting)
    02-13-13 11:49 PM
    It's an interesting contrast because while recent reports are on Winphone US marketshare falling with BB a clear #3, the global marketshare story currently is the prediction that Winphone will overtake BB for #3!

Winphone actually grew it's global marketshare by a large amount, though that was going from barely anything, to a much bigger barely anything. Still, the battle is quite competitive there, and it will be interesting to watch.

Microsoft Windows Phone Sales Were Up 124% Last Quarter - Business Insider

Windows Phone overtakes BlackBerry in market share - Tampa Bay Web 2.0 | Examiner.com
    02-14-13 01:00 AM
    It's an interesting contrast because while recent reports are on Winphone US marketshare falling with BB a clear #3, the global marketshare story currently is the prediction that Winphone will overtake BB for #3!

Winphone actually grew it's global marketshare by a large amount, though that was going from barely anything, to a much bigger barely anything. Still, the battle is quite competitive there, and it will be interesting to watch.

Microsoft Windows Phone Sales Were Up 124% Last Quarter - Business Insider

Windows Phone overtakes BlackBerry in market share - Tampa Bay Web 2.0 | Examiner.com
    And yet...
    Questions about the validity of Strategy Analytics’ claims have been raised, especially due to the lack of concrete numbers for the entire fourth quarter
    There's a reason most of these market analysts link Comscore more often than Strategy Analytics as a source.
    02-15-13 12:39 AM
    And yet...

There's a reason most of these market analysts link Comscore more often than Strategy Analytics as a source.
    Not sure what you're saying here at all. I felt that article short but informative, and yes, I'm glad it brought up the questioning of a source (though all of these estimates are prone to some error, and must be considered carefully), however, as the article notes next: most analysts agree that the winphone is going to overtake. That is also why I posted two articles, to verify that indeed, Gartner, IDC and others are in agreement with that premise.

As to your sentence about Comscore....I'm not familiar with Comscore stats regarding this, do they differ markedly? Do you have a link?
    02-15-13 02:54 AM
    Not sure what you're saying here at all. I felt that article short but informative, and yes, I'm glad it brought up the questioning of a source (though all of these estimates are prone to some error, and must be considered carefully), however, as the article notes next: most analysts agree that the winphone is going to overtake. That is also why I posted two articles, to verify that indeed, Gartner, IDC and others are in agreement with that premise.

As to your sentence about Comscore....I'm not familiar with Comscore stats regarding this, do they differ markedly? Do you have a link?
    Nope, just the same argument that writer is using, except in my case I see comScore being the most often quoted source. How much does it really matter? Well I guess you could say these guys aren't usually much better at forecasts than the weather man

When the dust clears I'm still going to be in Android's corner anyway because they're not showing any signs of slowing down with amazing hardware plus innovative features.
    bluetroll and richardat like this.
    02-15-13 03:29 AM
    Nope, just the same argument that writer is using, except in my case I see comScore being the most often quoted source. How much does it really matter? Well I guess you could say these guys aren't usually much better at forecasts than the weather man

When the dust clears I'm still going to be in Android's corner anyway because they're not showing any signs of slowing down with amazing hardware plus innovative features.
    Yes, well the comscore being a US figure gets significant play in the media....though I saw the IDC report being covered a bit more today.

If you're in Android's corner your certainly going to be "safe"....it will be the markshare leader for the forseeable future! I thought iphone 5(and new iphone 4 strategies) would cut into that a bit, and it did. Surprisingly, Apple does have room for growth into new markets, and it may well gain a bit more ground (or not), but I think things wills stay largely the same for both for quite while. Actually both Android and ios have room to eat into the RIM in the developing countries. Winphone and RIm are going to be very marginal players.

I think MS will continue along largely as is...I don't see it getting anywhere near the "traction' some analysts project, though it may in fact become the #3 as RIM struggles.
    02-15-13 11:02 AM
    We don't like it when he's dismissive of us. Let's rise above and not be dismissive of him either. :-)
    02-15-13 11:13 AM
29 12