If it's true, small but symbolic victory for Chen and Blackberry

BlackBerry Wins Court Order Blocking Sales by Seacrest’s Typo - Businessweek
    tryfe, andreirad, SirJes and 4 others like this.
    03-28-14 08:45 PM
    This is a nice victory for BlackBerry. In y0 face, Ryan Seacrest!
    anon(1532046) likes this.
    03-28-14 09:00 PM
    Does BB get royalties from those units already sold?!! One million dollar earn from Typo for the next quarter financial report!!
    ChocolateSoul75 likes this.
    03-28-14 09:10 PM
    If you read the article you'll see this is a preliminary hearing that simply said the case is valid and likely that BlackBerry will win.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 09:21 PM
    If you read the article you'll see this is a preliminary hearing that simply said the case is valid and likely that BlackBerry will win.

Posted via CB10
    It said the case is valid and can move forward.

It absolutely DID NOT say it's "likely blackberry will win."

That's not how the legal system here works.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    03-28-14 09:33 PM
    So lame.

Guess my device. "It has keys"
    03-28-14 09:38 PM

Read the first line of the second paragraph.

It also appears the article has been updated to say they've won.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 09:42 PM
    03-28-14 09:44 PM
    Thread on topic here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=919061

If it's true, small but symbolic victory for Chen and Blackberry

BlackBerry Wins Court Order Blocking Sales by Seacrest’s Typo - Businessweek

Poetry in Motion
    03-28-14 09:45 PM
    Great victory for BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 09:45 PM
    They knew they were ripping BlackBerry off. Typo probably thought BlackBerry would be out of business by the time they released their product and there would be nobody to challenge them.....lol

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    03-29-14 07:45 AM
    So lame.

Guess my device. "It has keys"
    Yeah but you have to admit they closely copied the BlackBerry keyboard. People here in CB know that I'm no fanboy, but I have to defend Blackberry in this case. What typo did is unethical.
    03-29-14 11:09 AM
    Their request for a preliminary injunction was granted. This just means that while the court case is going in, typo cannot sell their product. The fact that the preliminary injunction was granted is a good indicator that they have a good shot at winning the case, but it's not guaranteed.

Posted via CB10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    03-29-14 11:18 AM

Keep in mind that in order to be granted a preliminary injunction, you generally have to show both a likelihood of success in the ultimate action and irreparable harm. The factors are on a sliding scale, so that the more egregious the harm, the less likelihood of success you have to show, and vice versa. So, by virtue of being granted a preliminary injunction, BBRY managed to establish both, to some degree. (BBRY also had to show that the "balance of equities" tipped in its favor, and that granting the injunction was in the public interest.)

Of course, I've read on these forums that BBRY wouldn't be able get a fair shake in the U.S. legal system because it's a foreign company. . . I wonder if any of those commenters will appear in this thread.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    03-29-14 11:22 AM
    The coaches on the voice should be sponsored by blackberry now and they can put their twitter feeds up with a q10 and talk about how great the keyboard is!! Then Seacrest on his low ratings inferior singing show would be showed up by the better keyboard and singing show.

Seacrest out!!!!!!! Of our lives please!!!! Lol

Hate solves nothing, Respect gains everything!
    03-29-14 11:27 AM
    They will change the keypad a little and release a new add on keyboard in no time. BlackBerry didn't invent the qwerty keyboard after all.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 08:10 PM
    They will change the keypad a little and release a new add on keyboard in no time. BlackBerry didn't invent the qwerty keyboard after all.

Posted via CB10
    That costs money my friend. Not sure how much more of his personal money poor Ryan wants to dump. Based on current sales, they should just pack it in and hope for a good tax write off

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 08:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. And they have every right to. Typo can release any keyboard they want. Just not a replica of a BBRY keyboard. They did not even try to change anything. To me I can't believe they even got as far as they did; any legal team review should have raised some eyebrows with regards to IP and infringement.
    03-30-14 08:37 PM
    That costs money my friend. Not sure how much more of his personal money poor Ryan wants to dump. Based on current sales, they should just pack it in and hope for a good tax write off

Posted via CB10
    He has an annual salary between Fox, Clear Channel, E!, etc. of 65 million a year and a net worth of 250 million. He's got plenty to keep making changes if that's the outcome which I believe it will be. Typo will lose, but the door will be left open for them to make changes to ensure there is no confusion between keyboard manufacturers. Typo will comeback with something eventually.

Posted with my BlackBerry Q10 on VZW from Philly
    03-30-14 08:45 PM
    Typo is still selling the keyboards. I emailed them and asked if it was still possible to get one because if what I heard about the court case. They said fear not. if I ordered one it would ship within a couple of days.

I'm not a lawyer but wouldn't that be considered contempt

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 08:25 PM
    Typo is still selling the keyboards. I emailed them and asked if it was still possible to get one because if what I heard about the court case. They said fear not. if I ordered one it would ship within a couple of days.

I'm not a lawyer but wouldn't that be considered contempt

Posted via CB10
    Not if they already sold them. BlackBerry was a little slow to act with this.

04-02-14 01:07 AM
    Still waiting on BlackBerry to post that bond.

The ruling requires BlackBerry to post a bond in an amount sufficient to pay damages sustained by Typo if it's later found that the injunction shouldn't have been granted. Once the bond is posted, which could take as long as two weeks, Typo is barred from selling the keyboard case.

Poetry in Motion
    04-11-14 10:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure they could do that. Let's be honest though, the whole value prop for Seacrest was "I miss my BlackBerry keyboard, so I'll make a BlackBerry keyboard for my iPhone".
    04-11-14 12:58 PM
    Hey, I was just on the Typo site and they're still taking orders.

What's up with that ?
    04-12-14 10:40 AM
    Hey, I was just on the Typo site and they're still taking orders.

What's up with that ?
    They sent me an email to buy them at discounted prices if I buy in bulk.

Posted via CB10
    Uzi likes this.
    04-12-14 11:56 AM
32 12