Linkage.

You can't keep BlackBerry down.

The struggling smartphone manufacturer posted a surprise profit on Friday for the second quarter in a row, eking out gains thanks to a massive cost-cutting effort and an adjustment to the value of its investment in a broad patent portfolio.

For its fiscal fourth quarter, which ended February 28, BlackBerry posted earnings excluding certain items of 4 cents a share, compared with Wall Street's forecast of a loss of 4 cents a share.

BlackBerry shares rose 3.2 percent to $9.60 in premarket trading Friday.

The Canadian company, a once-dominant phone maker that has fallen far from its peak, is in the midst of a transformation under CEO John Chen. While its core BlackBerry business continues to be a focus, Chen is streamlining the business and shifting its resources into the potentially more profitable software and services realm. At the same time, he is more narrowly targeting big business customers as the company gets away from its earlier attempts to be a mass-market brand.

"Our financial viability is no longer in question," Chen said in an earnings conference call, noting that he is halfway through his turnaround efforts.
    03-27-15 09:31 PM
    I think Blackberry is done making phones. They're down 300,000 units or something. And when you're measuring smart phones, referring to numbers that aren't millions is a bad thing.

Software and services seems healthy. If they can continue growing there, there might still be a Blackberry.

But phones? It seems hopeful, at best.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-27-15 11:42 PM
    I think Blackberry is done making phones. They're down 300,000 units or something. And when you're measuring smart phones, referring to numbers that aren't millions is a bad thing.

Software and services seems healthy. If they can continue growing there, there might still be a Blackberry.

Why would they stop making hardware if it's still profitable at this point in time? It's going to take a while longer to build the software business to its full potential, so why not stack the cash account with whatever you can?

Bb10 is an amazing platform and if they can keep building their user base then that's great. It obviously can't match the Samsung or Apple sales but everyone who gives the OS a chance will agree that it's excellent.

There's no point trying to fight the big companies, but they can still be a niche player with substantial profits.

A lot of Canadians love BlackBerry. There's a definite market here.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 12:30 AM
    It's only a bad thing if the phone business is making a loss. It isn't, the current range of phones since Chen became CEO have an increased average sale value over the previous phones and an increased amount of that sale value is profit.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.2576 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.5.6
    03-28-15 12:54 AM
    It's only a bad thing if the phone business is making a loss. It isn't, the current range of phones since Chen became CEO have an increased average sale value over the previous phones and an increased amount of that sale value is profit.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.2576 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.5.6
    I think you are correct. Blackberry will get more innovative with its partnerships to keep producing phones before they stop. We will have blackberry 10 for a long while

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    03-28-15 02:30 AM

I think a company needs an entire division to be profitable on a certain SCALE to be worth having. But I could be wrong. We'll see.

sentimentGX4 and JeepBB like this.
    03-28-15 08:47 AM
    Was there any further elaboration on the "blackberry experience" for non-blackberry phones? Specifically, will the hub, peek & flow, and all that be coming to non-BES iPhones and Androids?

03-28-15 08:51 AM
    There is no reason for BlackBerry to stop making phones, it is currently making up a large portion of their revenue and producing profit, you don't quit a good thing just because others are doing it better.

A lot of people don't seem to recognize that the smartphone market and technology is entering the maturity stage, innovation is no longer happening every week, it's taking months and years. Companies have staked their claims and found their place in the market, BlackBerry unfortunately now fills a niche role, but it is still a player.

BB for Life
    CDM76 and anon(8908445) like this.
    03-28-15 11:28 AM
    They just launched Passport and Classic, now the Leap and a slider in the coming months.

Make just one phone, and make it a jaw dropper.

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    03-28-15 11:41 AM

Yes they sold 300,000 less but they are still selling 8 million phones a year !!! And profitably. Why stop something like that ? Besides, BlackBerry end to end security is a huge selling point for governments and security conscious companies.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 11:45 AM
    Yes they sold 300,000 less but they are still selling 8 million phones a year !!! And profitably. Why stop something like that ?
    The mobile platform race is probably accelerating faster than any other industry. The other competitors happen to be the biggest companies on the planet - Microsoft, Apple, and Google. How can anyone think they can stay in the race selling 8 million units a year? Even lacking a features like mobile payments will take any platform out of the running over the next few years.
    MarsupilamiX and JeepBB like this.
    03-28-15 11:58 AM
    The mobile platform race is probably accelerating faster than any other industry. The other competitors happen to be the biggest companies on the planet - Microsoft, Apple, and Google. How can anyone think they can stay in the race selling 8 million units a year? Even lacking a features like mobile payments will take any platform out of the running over the next few years.
    Exactly.

That's eight million phones a year...and falling.

As for mobile payments, didn't they launch something called "blackberry money" or "BBM money" in the far east a couple years ago? But then I never heard another word about it.

03-28-15 12:28 PM
    Yes they sold 300,000 less but they are still selling 8 million phones a year !!! And profitably. Why stop something like that ? Besides, BlackBerry end to end security is a huge selling point for governments and security conscious companies.

Posted via CB10
    From Friday, Chen's own words (whatever they are worth)...

"Device is an entry point of the security platform"..."I kept saying this...we have to make money, we are starting to make money on device, we have a pathway to get there"

He was asked point blank "So as long as you can make money on devices you will be in the device business?" to which he repeated "yes".

He might be shifting off of the 10million devices per year line he established. Smart move, profit is profit and it is especially important to generate the entry point to other sales.
    03-28-15 02:35 PM
    Non-GAAP adjusted profit, from operations.

Chen and company sure did bury the real unadjusted GAAP numbers way way down on this quarters report, didn't they?
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    03-28-15 02:51 PM
    Actually the biggest problem are the Android manufacturers. Because they have less software development costs (Android is already there and ready to go and you just change it a little), they can sell higher speced phones for less than BB and with a better ecosystem.
    03-28-15 05:53 PM
    Why would they stop making hardware if it's still profitable at this point in time?
    The division being profitable simply means it's doing what it's supposed to be doing. It's not a cash cow or anything of the sort.

When you slash inventory, use up to three year old components, and outsource...of course it's going to make some money.
    MarsupilamiX and JeepBB like this.
    03-28-15 08:43 PM

Chen and company sure did bury the real unadjusted GAAP numbers way way down on this quarters report, didn't they?
    Indeed this. In reality, Blackberry did not make a profit after considering "one time expenses" so its P/E ratio will like remain negative/non-existent on many stock sites. On the bright side, I believe they were cash flow positive.
    03-28-15 08:58 PM
  18. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    They just launched Passport and Classic, now the Leap and a slider in the coming months.

Make just one phone, and make it a jaw dropper.

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    Hard because different people value different things... otherwise we would all be driving Corvettes!! lol

Blackberry will continue to make innovative smartphones under CEO chen... but niche focus now.... think Porsche line not Ford...

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-28-15 10:41 PM
    04-01-15 12:22 AM
    Exactly.

That's eight million phones a year...and falling.

As for mobile payments, didn't they launch something called "blackberry money" or "BBM money" in the far east a couple years ago? But then I never heard another word about it.

Maybe you should actually read the BBM news feed. It does a pretty good job at keeping you up to date.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 09:22 PM
    I was just curious. Anything worth knowing will be reported more widely and by entities other than Blackberry themselves.

04-03-15 12:51 AM
    Yes they sold 300,000 less but they are still selling 8 million phones a year !
    They ship less than 1 million BB10 per quarter now.
    04-03-15 04:34 AM
    They ship less than 1 million BB10 per quarter now.
    Yep. And it's still profitable. I really don't care if they sell 10 a quarter as long as they are making profits off them.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 09:01 PM
    I really don't care if they sell 10 a quarter as long as they are making profits off them.
    It's fine for their shipments to go down? That won't foster growth of the OS.
    04-04-15 09:27 PM
    I dont think BlackBerry is done manufacturing phones. In my theory, BlackBerry 10.3.1 is still under the development. They need this software to work on multiple high tier processors and other good hardware parts developed by other companies.

Based on my observation, it does makes sense why BlackBerry is not producing high speced devices, same grade as m8/m9, and others because there is no point of having those spec if the software cant fully make use of the hardware. It could turn obsolete as it age and will result as a waste of money.

BlackBerry needs some extension software to benefit its hardware capabilities...
    for ex: BlackBerry blend. Blend still has a lot of room for improvements. It would be nice if the BlackBerry handsets running os 10.4 and up would act as a PC.

To summarize what I'm trying to say,

"Blackberry will just catch up at the end. Hardware department is kind of chilling while there are better things that needs to be done than producing more hardwares."

Just my opinion

Moto X 2k14 Posted via
    04-05-15 02:04 AM
30 12