The Mediatek Processors have matured and can adequately compete with Qualcomm Snapdragon series in performance. Unlike Qualcomm, Mediatek will not charge Blackberry for writing drivers for BB10 which is one of the reasons Blackberry is planning to discontinue BB10. Mediatek is also very cheap, reason why we have high end cheap phones like Xiaomi and others

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-08-15 01:48 PM
    Drivers was only one of the reasons..... but how do you know they won't charge for custom non-Android drivers?

Anyway.... at this point BB10 is done, and I'm not sure Mediatek would fit in with Chen's claims of highend or privileged for any new Android phones.
    12-08-15 01:59 PM
    Drivers was only one of the reasons..... but how do you know they won't charge for custom non-Android drivers?

Anyway.... at this point BB10 is done, and I'm not sure Mediatek would fit in with Chen's claims of highend or privileged for any new Android phones.
    Now how do you know bb10 is done?

Posted via CB10
    BerrySoul likes this.
    12-08-15 02:05 PM
    Now how do you know bb10 is done?

Posted via CB10
    Sorry.... there are two minor software updates that will be released over the coming months.

But no plans for new hardware, no plans for supporting developers, no plans for making BB10 better.... so I'd "guess" that BB10 hardware and the platform are pretty much history. Because if they are just "pausing" BB10 development... they would have clearly explained it that way so that developers and enterprise customers wouldn't now be looking somewhere else for solutions.
    12-08-15 02:23 PM
    Sorry.... there are two minor software updates that will be released over the coming months.

But no plans for new hardware, no plans for supporting developers, no plans for making BB10 better.... so I'd "guess" that BB10 hardware and the platform are pretty much history. Because if they are just "pausing" BB10 development... they would have clearly explained it that way so that developers and enterprise customers wouldn't now be looking somewhere else for solutions.
    we've been here before when there were no plans after 10.2.1
    Blackberry has never been good at explaining!
    12-08-15 02:28 PM
    I never had the impression Mediatek processors compete nor support drivers. At least on cheap Android media players.

Do you have a lot of first-hand experience you can speak of?

Posted via CB10
    12-08-15 03:20 PM
    "Blackberry should use Mediatek Processors for future BB10 phones"

I think I'd rather see them use Exynos. Otherwise, they should wholeheartedly stick with the powerful Snapdragons most know and love.
    12-08-15 03:29 PM

History?

But the hardware is still for sale from BlackBerry. I don't recall BlackBerry saying that it was history. I have been hearing that BlackBerry was dead now for years and it hasn't come to pass.

Soooo.... unless you know something that BlackBerry hasn't announced yet, please disembark from the FUD train sweeping Crackberry with absolute bb10 is dead statements.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-15 03:59 PM
    All SoC manufacturers provide Android drivers - they have to in order to be competitive; remember that Android is 83% of the market.

But no SoC manufacturers provide QNX-based drivers - you (the customer - BB in this case) have to pay to have them written. And MediaTek processors are several years behind the Qualcomm SoCs, which is why you don't see MediaTek SoCs in any flagship devices.
    12-08-15 06:11 PM
    The Mediatek Processors have matured and can adequately compete with Qualcomm Snapdragon series in performance. Unlike Qualcomm, Mediatek will not charge Blackberry for writing drivers for BB10 which is one of the reasons Blackberry is planning to discontinue BB10. Mediatek is also very cheap, reason why we have high end cheap phones like Xiaomi and others

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Where is your source for this? It's certainly possible as an upstart in the SOC game that MediaTek would swallow the cost of driver development for a design win but I've never seen anyone from the company say they would do so for BB. The MediaTek Helio X20 will certainly compete with the the next gen SOCs like the 820 but as it is a 10 core, 3 tier SOC; BB would have to do some extra work to optimize it for BB10.
    12-08-15 06:46 PM
    All SoC manufacturers provide Android drivers - they have to in order to be competitive; remember that Android is 83% of the market.

But no SoC manufacturers provide QNX-based drivers - you (the customer - BB in this case) have to pay to have them written. And MediaTek processors are several years behind the Qualcomm SoCs, which is why you don't see MediaTek SoCs in any flagship devices.
    I agree that you don't see the MediaTek chips in too many flagships, yet, anyways but I'm not too sure you could say that they are "several years" behind their Qualcomm counterparts. Benchmarks definitely still favor QC but MediaTek are not that far behind and offer pretty good value IMHO. One thing about Qualcomm tho is that they are definitely driving the innovation even if it sometimes earns them some criticism (hot running chips).

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    12-08-15 07:03 PM
    As far as I know, I haven't seen MediaTek processors outside of Chinese phones, be they official variants of other phones using different chipsets, or knockoffs thereof.
    12-08-15 07:08 PM
    As far as I know, I haven't seen MediaTek processors outside of Chinese phones, be they official variants of other phones using different chipsets, or knockoffs thereof.
    Not sure how much mandarin is taught in Waterloo schools...

I've recently had to deal with support from Chinese companies for some rather silly issues and the broken English was just painful to read and nonsensical. Likewise, on these cheap Android media players, the lack of support would be met with seriously broken English. While Qualcomm might be mostly Indian, I've never had a language issue with Qualcomm.

If engineers cannot communicate or have effective documentation, it's a bust.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    12-08-15 07:49 PM
    MediaTEK is just "bakvas".

Posted via CB10
    12-08-15 07:53 PM

Lets not spread rumors until things are confirmed.

Posted via CB10
    silversmith75 likes this.
    12-09-15 08:50 AM
    Lets not spread rumors until things are confirmed.

Posted via CB10
    How's it a rumour ffs.... BlackBerry has sent out a letter months ago stating all those above. No planned sdk updates, no new apis, no qt5, no android runtime update...

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    12-09-15 09:46 AM
    The new amazon tablets all use mediatek processors. That's how they are so cheap, but I wouldn't buy any of them...too underpowered for android

Blackberry Z10 was the beginning. The Z30 is my upgrade
    12-09-15 10:18 AM
    How's it a rumour ffs.... BlackBerry has sent out a letter months ago stating all those above. No planned sdk updates, no new apis, no qt5, no android runtime update...

Posted via CB10
    As i said before, They have done that before before 10.2.1 hit.
    You cant go by that sort of assumption.
    Them saying nothing does not mean they will be ending
    12-09-15 10:42 AM
    As i said before, They have done that before before 10.2.1 hit.
    You cant go by that sort of assumption.
    Them saying nothing does not mean they will be ending
    Yes, but this is what happened since then:
    Attached Thumbnails Blackberry should use Mediatek Processors for future BB10 phones-1449680772350.jpg  
    12-09-15 11:06 AM
    Yes, but this is what happened since then:
    Yes, but that is irrelevant to my point
    12-09-15 11:17 AM
    Yes, but that is irrelevant to my point
    Except that no matter what BlackBerry says or doesn't say, means BB10 is over.
    12-09-15 11:25 AM
    Except that no matter what BlackBerry says or doesn't say, means BB10 is over.
    Once again. No it doesnt mean that.
    You point to the lack of a statement of intent by Blackberry as evidence, I've told you they've done that before and BB10 still received updates and new devices.

Regardless of whether BB10 continues or not, you're reasoning is not so ironclad that it can be taken for granted
    skstrials likes this.
    12-09-15 11:28 AM
    The question is, can BlackBerry close the Android performance gap if they update to Android 5 and 6? If yes, they can make a go of it. If performance is same or worse with more instability, it's throw in the towel time.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-15 02:37 PM
    Once again. No it doesnt mean that.
    You point to the lack of a statement of intent by Blackberry as evidence, I've told you they've done that before and BB10 still received updates and new devices.

Regardless of whether BB10 continues or not, you're reasoning is not so ironclad that it can be taken for granted
    Could you please show me the email from blackberry stating no dev tool updates from before 10.2.1

Posted via CB10
    12-09-15 11:38 PM
    If this move can make BlackBerry phone much cheaper but retain the performance, I support it. Or the Exynos chip either is good. Qualcomm sure charging a hefty premium price for their chip, so Mediatek & Exynos are suitable for alternative option.

 I love my Z30 
    12-10-15 12:07 AM
26 12