The best thing on blackberries is Reading text and typing it on a physical or virtual keyboards therefore it should targets and attracts the book writers as I'm sure the ones who don't, they are missing out a lot

At least blackberry should encourage app makers of wattpad and its competitors to jump on blackberry 10 platform

And blackberry passport should have this idea in its marketing strategy

Posted via CB10 on Blackberry classic
    Last edited by Firas Jabal; 04-02-15 at 06:51 PM.
    04-02-15 06:40 PM
    Totally agree. Writer is a great app. People write whole books on the thing and this Classic is keyboard perfection.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 06:43 PM
    The best thing on blackberries is Reading text and typing it on a physical or virtual keyboards therefore it should targets and attracts the book writers as I'm sure the ones who don't, they are missing out a lot

At least blackberry should encourage app makers of wattpad and its competitors to jump on blackberry 10 platform

And blackberry passport should have this idea in its marketing strategy

Posted via CB10 on Blackberry classic
    Couldn't agree more.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 07:03 PM
    Wasn't there a story on here about writing an entire novel on their 9900?

I agree they should target writers.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 07:13 PM

Such a tiny niche though.
    04-02-15 10:15 PM
    How many tens of millions of writers are there? How many of them find BB's strengths more important than iOS's or Androids? How many of them actively use social media to promote themselves and their books (something BB is lousy for)?

Writers don't "just write" - they have entire lives, and while a few might pick up a BB because they find it easier to write on, that isn't going to be a big enough number to move the needle on BB10 sales.
    04-02-15 10:26 PM
    Such a tiny niche though.
    Actually, BlackBerry's best use of limited resources would be to meaningfully penetrate 4 or 5 small niches while pursuing their overall Enterprise strategy.

The niches that make sense are ones where writing and editing are critical:

Good potential niches:

Writers: (including fiction, non-fiction, screenwriters, bloggers, copywriters, journalists, editors, etc.)

Lawyers: (Many firms still issue Blackberries, so this is a no-brainer)

Government (Already a target, obviously, but they need to focus on end user benefits and productivity, not just security. )

Corporate managers (same as above)

Organized Crime Syndicates (just testing if anyone is still reading!)

Posted via CB10
    chgaida likes this.
    04-03-15 11:06 AM
    I'm a writer and freelance journalist, and going back to BlackBerry has been a huge productivity boost for me. It's the keyboard more than anything, and being able to manipulate text onscreen so easily (compared to Android devices, which I've had before as well). I've drafted book reviews on my Passport, and although I don't really draft fiction onscreen (I use good old fashioned pen and paper for that), it's invaluable for taking notes and writing down ideas. The file manager is really important as well, so you can easily access and edit stories or articles you've been working on. I totally agree that aiming some marketing at writers, journalists and editors is bound to pay dividends.

Posted with my Passport
    Dmitry Kisselyov likes this.
    04-04-15 03:05 AM
    Writing on my Passport is amazing. I used to loathe having to write, and do rewrites, on an iPhone and iPad, when not in front of a laptop. It let's me get lost in the work.

Posted using my Crackport.
    04-04-15 05:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    I think it's 50 shades of grey

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 06:22 AM
    How many tens of millions of writers are there? How many of them find BB's strengths more important than iOS's or Androids? How many of them actively use social media to promote themselves and their books (something BB is lousy for)?

Writers don't "just write" - they have entire lives, and while a few might pick up a BB because they find it easier to write on, that isn't going to be a big enough number to move the needle on BB10 sales.
    We are all writers, including yourself whom inexplicably spends many hours on Crackberry praising the superior virtues of Android and the iPhone while seemingly having no interest in BlackBerry at all other than to post how inferior BlackBerry is. We all thank you for your interest and input.

Flicked from my flicking excellent writer grade Z30. No flicking app required.

Posted via CB10
    ArcPlug and lesbmoore like this.
    04-04-15 09:12 AM
    We are all writers, including yourself whom inexplicably spends many hours on Crackberry praising the superior virtues of Android and the iPhone while seemingly having no interest in BlackBerry at all other than to post how inferior BlackBerry is. We all thank you for your interest and input.

Flicked from my flicking excellent writer grade Z30. No flicking app required.

Posted via CB10
    To be fair, Troy is one of the most informed contributors in the community here.

Z30 STA100-2. 10.3.1.747
    04-04-15 11:57 AM
    I hope the editor in chief could see this and some how could let mr. Chen see it, because I really feel there is a lot of potential to it, and troy maybe right it is a niche market but still it would open another door for blackberry

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 04:39 AM
    It could have a knock on effect by creating a reputation of being for artsy writers, and people wanting to identify with that kind of image. A bit like Apple and their "better for creative types" crappy PCs!

But I think BlackBerry already tried this when they got Neil Gaiman involved with writing A Calendar Of Tales.

Z30 STA100-2. 10.3.1.747
    04-05-15 06:24 AM
    When it comes to writing speed and accuracy the Qs are productivity monsters.

I always use a Q10 for memos in business meetings.
    My co-workers were first joking about it, until they saw the first 2-3 meeting reports.
    With the touch phone you could write a few key words, but not more, because otherwise you can't follow the conversation.

To me it is totally out of question that the Qs are fantastic writing tools.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 12:14 PM
    As well as targeting writers, BlackBerry should target the old. If your hands shake a touch screen blows.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 12:20 PM
    I write for a living as an academic and while I could get by with a mobile device, it's still 2 x 26" monitors plugged into a desktop and a full-size mechanical keyboard when I crank content. In meetings and the like, I might use my ultrabook or an ipad with keyboard but I don't think any mobile device is particularly optimum for any serious note-taking or writing..
    04-05-15 03:40 PM
    I write for a living as an academic and while I could get by with a mobile device, it's still 2 x 26" monitors plugged into a desktop and a full-size mechanical keyboard when I crank content. In meetings and the like, I might use my ultrabook or an ipad with keyboard but I don't think any mobile device is particularly optimum for any serious note-taking or writing..
    What if you had a foldable Bluetooth keyboard paired with a BlackBerry Passport?
    04-05-15 04:15 PM
    Writers already on BlackBerry. Especially song writers.
    Thing is these guys don't get recognition from the public/media. When they do, the media and public would negatively talk about it.
    04-05-15 04:26 PM
    To be fair, Troy is one of the most informed contributors in the community here.

Z30 STA100-2. 10.3.1.747
    Ha I would challenge that. He has never said anything good about BlackBerry ever. I wonder what's his purpose here. Don't believe me check his post history.

Troy do you own a blackberry device?

Writers and blackberry?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/elizabet...-in-airplanes/

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by The Big Picture; 04-05-15 at 04:53 PM.
    ArcPlug likes this.
    04-05-15 04:41 PM
    I think they tried too, kind of...

They did some weird thing with Neil Gaimen, targeted the writing community somewhat, didn't get far.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 04:46 PM
    While I've put down about 60-70 pages of text (size 10 font single space times new Roman on my passport) I use my home pc and tablet to do the fine editing, sourcing for papers and research for all of my writing but I do agree with op.
    Being able to effortlessly type out multiple pages and back it up to the cloud is far quicker and easier with a physical qwerty as opposed to a touchscreen and I've used not tried an iPad, iPhone, z30, and z10. A little marketing does go along way.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 06:06 PM
    [...] it's still 2 x 26" monitors plugged into a desktop and a full-size mechanical keyboard when I crank content. In meetings and the like, I might use my ultrabook or an ipad with keyboard but [...] .
    You made a valid point, of course 10 fingers will always beat two thumbs.
    However, 90% of my business partners are still using paper and pencil in meetings to take notes, drawings etc etc...

I found for myself that (my handwriting is unreadable and) a Q is more efficient than pencil and paper, especially when you use the Remember app.
    All memos in the Remember app are synced to Outlook (office pc/laptop).
    If somebody makes a drawing I will take a picture.

So, I carry only light weight during business travels and if I have an idea during a walk in the park: Remember app.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 11:12 PM
    You made a valid point, of course 10 fingers will always beat two thumbs.
    However, 90% of my business partners are still using paper and pencil in meetings to take notes, drawings etc etc...

I found for myself that (my handwriting is unreadable and) a Q is more efficient than pencil and paper, especially when you use the Remember app.
    All memos in the Remember app are synced to Outlook (office pc/laptop).
    If somebody makes a drawing I will take a picture.

So, I carry only light weight during business travels and if I have an idea during a walk in the park: Remember app.

Posted via CB10
    I just use onenote for that because it's integrated into 0365 and with stuff like office lens it all works perfectly when taking a snap of a whiteboard or document - pretty sure it is available for side-loading if you have never tried it.
    04-06-15 07:30 AM
    What if you had a foldable Bluetooth keyboard paired with a BlackBerry Passport?
    What if I did? The screen would still be physically smaller than either a Ipad, my ultrabook or the Surface 3 I'm about to get hold of - in that situation, even my $40 HP stream 7 with a bt keyboard makes more sense. For me the problem is you guys are discussing using a mobile device for nomadic use - so yeah if I was out in the street or walking along or otherways mobile I could see that type of usage - but I cannot see any circumstance when sat down I'd use a mobile device over a nomadic one and similarly why I'd use a nomadic device like an ipad over a mobile one while moving - it's not that one device type is superior to another just that they are situationally contingent.

So if I was in a meeting and the passport was the *only* device available, I'm sure it is superior for note-taking that other mobile devices but generally I'm never in that situation.
    04-06-15 07:34 AM