But that would be a downgrade.

Posted via CB10
    jsmith00075 and TJ Strozier like this.
    09-29-15 02:59 PM
    At this point I believe that raising consumer trust in the company will be very important.
    The company had consumer trust for many years. At one point in history, everybody and their moms were packing Blackberry phones. It was the arrival of competition like Apple and their failure to innovate along with company stagnation and poor leadership at the top that caused that trust to fall. One of the most powerful brands ever in telecommunications brought down to nothing. A humiliating fall from grace. The feature sets of both iOS and Android handsets were leaving the Bolds and the Curves in the dust. Not even Heins, Alicia Keys and other power people or investors could bring the firm back up to past glory.

This is not about consumer trust.

This is about people like you not wanting to be left behind while the Priv (oh joy what a name!) and Android fly ahead into the future. You spent your money and now with this massive change on the way, you feel burned. Don't feel bad...many people feel that way. The problem is that Blackberry has to try and corral in a whole new base of customers who will buy new handsets. They are in a make or break situation and cannot afford to hand hold the old clientele anymore.

Let's face reality, we BB10 users are in the minority. In fact, we're probably a speck as opposed to a minority. Perhaps if money and resources were contributed to proper marketing of BB10, we would have been a little better off. That along with the app scarcity has made BB10 a commercial failure.

Providing an "upgrade path" doesn't put fresh cash in their pocket and they will have to shell money out to develop that upgrade path. If by some miracle, their benevolence leads them to do that, great for everybody...very likely they will not. They gotta sell new handsets to stay above water.

I personally think that Android is s**t, I wouldn't depend on an Android app to save my own a**. I have an iOS tablet at home and even on that, I don't have that many apps on their other then what comes stock. If I need some kind of app that is not on BBWorld, I can simply access it from my iPad and off I go. I'm not gonna complain about the fact that the same app is not available for my phone. If it's there, it's there...if it's not, it's not.

I see why they need to "move on". They have no choice in the matter. Most of you who are campaigning for Blackberry to upgrade old BB10 devices need to emancipate yourself from wishful thinking and stare the situation in the eye and see it for what it really is.

When my company's fleet of Passports have died noble deaths after years of service, then I will look into what Blackberry and its Android products can do for me alongside BES...until then I am not depending on any possible benevolence from them. And if it should be time to walk away from BlackBerry as a whole and go somewhere else then so be it.

I say it again so there is no ambiguity, an upgrade path will only appease the current clientele. In order for Blackberry to get more users and more customers on board is to focus on selling their new Android-equipped phones. We BB10 users must be left behind (let this sink in), they cannot choose to divide their focus now at such a critical point in time.

You BB10 users that are feeling neglected and/or betrayed need to just pick yourself up, brush your shoulders off, get your money's worth out of your devices or sell 'em to someone else and get the monkey off your back.

Perhaps we should send Sweet Brown down to Waterloo to get this case sorted out.

"I went down to Waterloo to get me a cold pop. And then I thought somebody was barbecuing BB10. And I said Oh Lord Jesus, it's a Priv! And then I ran out I didn't grab no shoes or nothing, Jesus. I ran for my life. And then the smoke got me...I got Androiditis...ain't nobody got time for that!"

That's right, Sweet Brown. Android on BB10 devices, ain't nobody got time for that...especially Blackberry. They can't afford to have time for that.
    09-29-15 04:32 PM
    No. It doesn't ignore the benefit of company loyalty, it simply factors that into an overall cost/benefit analysis.

It would cost BB millions of dollars, ignoring for the moment who would do the development as BB has fired most of the engineers, to bring Android to all of the past BB10 phones.

It would have to be done for *all* BB10 phones, or are there grades of BB10 handset loyalty that deserve Android more?

There are something like 10 million BB10 handsets out there. Most of the 30M BB users are still on BBOS, and this expensive gesture from BB wouldn't benefit them at all.

As said, BB only wins if you buy a new BB phone (now or in the future).

How many of the owners of those 10M BB10 handsets, that have now been updated at considerable BB cost, and now given a new lease of life to delay any possible replacement, are imminently going to buy *any* new phone?

And, when the time comes to replace this expensively upgraded phone, what proportion of the 10M will buy a BB Android phone? It won't even be close to all of them, I'm sure of that.

I'd bring into that cost/benefit analysis the fact that BB is possibly/probably exiting hardware anyway... So, there wouldn't be a BB phone for these expensively upgraded loyalists to buy anyway.

So, yes retaining loyal customers is a benefit, but doesn't outweigh the costs.

There is no business case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not only is this completely hitting the nail on the head, but consider this also.
    If Blackberry did spend that considerable money to make old BB10 handsets compatible for Android, just how many active users will take advantage of that?
    A large fraction of active BB10 users will be mae up of enterprise who got BB10 for BB10

Why should Blackberry spend millions on something that only a small percentage of users will use anyway?

This is nothing like the playbook debacle. At no point was Android promised for the Z10
    JeepBB and Superfly_FR like this.
    09-29-15 08:33 PM
    Who wants a dual core android phone? >.<
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-29-15 08:35 PM
    Or, BBRY will just expect their loyal customers to just buy a new Priv, rather than give them anything for free. BB10 users waiting for their Android update can wait in line right behind the Playbook owners waiting for their BB10 update.
    Superfly_FR, JeepBB and TGR1 like this.
    09-29-15 09:47 PM
    New Android based OS on 2 years+ old Z10-like specs ?
    Ouch, I'm not fan of the idea. +1 With Troy's arguments, to begin with.
    09-30-15 04:52 AM
    The only upside from a business standpoint would be to help sell current stock of phones since few will buy phones on deathwatch, and knowing an upgrade path exists would be beneficial. Whether that is worth the cost is still debatable.

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, T-Mobile, no camera, 10.3.2.2474
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-30-15 05:10 AM
    So, let's wait and get ready for the DroidPort 2.0 rehash ... :-)

�   Qchen, new keyboard, new leak, new life... :-)   �
    09-30-15 06:03 AM
    New Android based OS on 2 years+ old Z10-like specs ?
    Ouch, I'm not fan of the idea. +1 With Troy's arguments, to begin with.

Nothing wrong with Android on devices with Z10 specs.... problem will be the add on stuff included in the BlackBerry Experience. There are new low end Android devices being released with specs no better than the Z10.

But I agree there is just no reason for BlackBerry to go to the effort to upgrade these devices... and there are a number of contractual roadblocks that would make it a major issue.
    09-30-15 01:30 PM
    BB has already lost money on every single BB10 phone sold, and paying to do all of the (more extensive then you realize) work to create Android builds for all of the existing hardware, and then have to provide support for anyone who wants to upgrade but can't figure out how, or who complains that they lost all of their data they "thought" was backed up, etc. would be a nightmare and a huge cost.

BB's position is absolutely going to be that if folks want the new BB Android, they can get it by buying a Priv. That's the only way BB stands a chance at making a profit, and that's the whole point of their existence.

I can't believe I'm gonna say this but I agree with Troy on this. The only devices that have a remote chance for this is the Passport and the Classic, and did you ever hear that old expression? It's between slim and none and Slim just left town!
    09-30-15 02:48 PM
    @PK :I'd only point to Passport (but I'm not yet convinced it'll happen)
    pkcable likes this.
    10-01-15 01:34 AM
    If you want your BlackBerry to run Android, why did you get a BlackBerry in the first place?

TJ Strozier of Astronomic Music Group
    pkcable likes this.
    10-01-15 07:57 AM
    If you want your BlackBerry to run Android, why did you get a BlackBerry in the first place?
    In the case of the Passport, it's about wanting the wide screen and the keyboard, but having the Android apps working as they should.
    dlrogers81 likes this.
    10-01-15 08:44 AM
    In the case of the Passport, it's about wanting the wide screen and the keyboard, but having the Android apps working as they should.

Depending upon the success of the Priv could we see a Passport 2 or Passport A (A for Android) in the future? I think that's a pretty safe bet.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-01-15 08:46 AM
    Depending upon the success of the Priv could we see a Passport 2 or Passport A (A for Android) in the future? I think that's a pretty safe bet.
    If so, I'll be interested. Even though the form factor of the Passport puts off some people, those of us who like it really like it. It's clearly differentiated hardware, and I know from experience that it gets attention. I don't claim that all this adds up to massive sales, but at this point it should be about BlackBerry getting a profitable foothold in the Android market, not taking it by storm.

Maybe "storm" isn't the best word.
    pkcable likes this.
    10-01-15 08:53 AM
    I have a Classic and my Android apps work just fine.

10-01-15 08:56 AM
    I have a Classic and my Android apps work just fine.
    That's great for you. Mine are working...fair. I'm starting to get more "This app is not responding. Wait or close?" messages when running them, as these apps get updates and my Android runtime doesn't.

And as I say, I like the Passport screen a lot; enough to want to continue to use it even with Android. I don't think I can expect that to happen, but I can hope for it.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-01-15 08:59 AM
    BlackBerry doesn't want to sell phones. If they did they'd advertise more and spend on marketing.

Posted via CB10
    TJ Strozier likes this.
    10-01-15 09:01 AM
    The bb10 android runtime is on borrowed time... just a matter of time before it's too old

Posted via CB10
    10-01-15 10:05 AM
    That's great for you. Mine are working...fair. I'm starting to get more "This app is not responding. Wait or close?" messages when running them, as these apps get updates and my Android runtime doesn't.

And as I say, I like the Passport screen a lot; enough to want to continue to use it even with Android. I don't think I can expect that to happen, but I can hope for it.
    Have you ever had an Android phone before?

10-01-15 10:16 AM
    BlackBerry doesn't want to sell phones. If they did they'd advertise more and spend on marketing.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly! The OP should take the time to go to a BlackBerry Forum before they come on here acting like they know what's going on.

10-01-15 10:17 AM
    My $199 Z10 does not owe me an up grade.

Posted via CB10
    TJ Strozier likes this.
    10-01-15 12:01 PM
    Have you ever had an Android phone before?
    Yes. Three, in fact. My first was a mid-ranged Galaxy Blaze. Then an S4. Currently a OnePlus One, although I still use my Passport most of the time. I have no major issues with Android.
    10-01-15 12:27 PM
    Exactly! The OP should take the time to go to a BlackBerry Forum before they come on here acting like they know what's going on.

Really? Check my post count and compare it to yours.

The fact of the matter is, until maybe a month ago I was confident in the future of BB10 and had no interest of giving it up. But now there's apps I need that even Windows Mobile has while I can't hack an Android version, and it seems that even Blackberry is planning to brush BB10 under the rug with the Playbook. I don't really like Android or iOS, but what I need is on them and not Blackberry. Upgrading to the Priv is an option, but I doubt I'll be able to afford it and I needed it starting last week (plus I still don't like Android that much). I can't wait for Blackberry to decide to launch mid range BBDroids or license the Experience Suite to other manufacturers.

As of yesterday I have made my decision and ordered a BLU Win HD LTE directly from Microsoft and will be using my backup Lumina 435 until it comes in. I purchased the cheap Lumina as a backup when I had my Z30 sent in to get the screen replaced, and it is a decent system and runs the apps I need.
    10-01-15 01:00 PM
    Really? Check my post count and compare it to yours.

The fact of the matter is, until maybe a month ago I was confident in the future of BB10 and had no interest of giving it up. But now there's apps I need that even Windows Mobile has while I can't hack an Android version, and it seems that even Blackberry is planning to brush BB10 under the rug with the Playbook. I don't really like Android or iOS, but what I need is on them and not Blackberry. Upgrading to the Priv is an option, but I doubt I'll be able to afford it and I needed it starting last week (plus I still don't like Android that much). I can't wait for Blackberry to decide to launch mid range BBDroids or license the Experience Suite to other manufacturers.

As of yesterday I have made my decision and ordered a BLU Win HD LTE directly from Microsoft and will be using my backup Lumina 435 until it comes in. I purchased the cheap Lumina as a backup when I had my Z30 sent in to get the screen replaced, and it is a decent system and runs the apps I need.
    Lol Did you just tell me to check your post count? Because since you spend your days on CrackBerry that directly correlates to you being correct? I didn't even bother to read your response. Have a nice day.

10-01-15 01:22 PM
89 1234