Honestly? I really think that Blackberry should allow their existing customers to upgrade their current phones to BBDroid, and that such an offer will help them survive in the long run. Although I love BB10, there are Android apps I NEED that simply won't work. Plus it seems quite clear that Blackberry is at least partially giving up on Blackberry.

And these are my reasons why it benefits Blackberry:

1. Trust in future support. Many customers were burned when the PlayBook was dropped and ignored shortly after launch, and even more lost faith when their fairly new 9810s and 9900s were never given a chance. Providing BBDroid to existing users of the BB10 devices would show that Blackberry is committed to providing support for devices in the long run. This would also get more people sticking with Blackberry as opposed to possibly switching to another manufacturer, and they get familiarized with the BBDroid's customization and so purchase new Blackberry devices for familiarity.

2. User demonstration. People who have upgraded their BB10 devices to BBDroid can show their friends, family, colleagues etc features such as the Hub and physically demonstrate how BBDroid compares to other Android devices; which can make them more inclined to buy a BBDroid when they chose to replace their existing device.

3. Lower cost phones. Devices such as the Z30, Passport, Classic, etc are still really great devices with capable components that can be repackaged and sold as lower-cost BBDroid devices without a major cost of R&D and the latest components components.

4. Potentially limited market cannibalism. Blackberry as it is has pretty minimal marketshare. If BBDroid becomes popular enough then there simply won't be enough used devices floating around to cannibalize a significant amount of new device sales. Plus Blackberry could possibly work out contracts to upgrade company's BB10 fleets to BBDroid. This could mean that Blackberry would want to wait and see how the Priv sells before backporting to existing devices.

I hope Blackberry considers it, but I don't know if they would. I do love BB10, I've been forced to pick up a cheap Android tablet to run specific apps I really need. Using Android I find the OS to be pretty good, but I miss the pack in BB10 apps and keyboard the most.
    09-28-15 04:41 PM
    I'd like to see it, but I think it's wishful thinking on my part. Of the reasons listed, I think only the first two have any weight, but I'm afraid they don't have enough weight.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ubizmo; 09-29-15 at 08:50 AM.
    09-28-15 04:54 PM
    If like to see it, but I think it's wishful thinking on my part. Of the reasons listed, I think only the first two have any weight, but I'm afraid they don't have enough weight.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    At this point I believe that raising consumer trust in the company will be very important.
    09-28-15 05:04 PM
    At this point I believe that raising consumer trust in the company will be very important.
    I agree - this sounds like a good Idea ... keeps the flow going
    09-28-15 06:42 PM
    This sounds really dorky and lame, but I would be happy with a special edition case or something like that for those of us who have used bb10 for the past couple of years.

Just a sign, a token appreciation of the fact that I am a loyal BlackBerry consumer and am sticking with them and giving their new product a shot. Yeah, corporate companies do not work like that, but it would be a nice symbol.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 06:51 PM
    BlackBerry should always help customers to upgrade their devices no matter the device.
    Doesn't matter if you have a z10 and wants a q5 or leap, BlackBerry should help to transit ,period, point, punto. In 2years BlackBerry should have offer me a discount or something for my z10 to upgrades to their new phone.

Posted via CB10
    Batibreaker likes this.
    09-28-15 07:40 PM
    Probably the Z30 and Passport would be the only models that would run Lollipop reasonably well (Z30 specs are close to original Moto X ).

1) Do you want Google apps as part of the upgrade : will need certification of that device model thru Google
    2) Does the manufacturer of each chipset in the phone support the upgrade to higher Android version. Sometimes the chips are EOL or the manufacturer no longer exists or has been merged to another company.
    3) Are there any contractual requirements via the carrier. Carrier branded devices cannot get an upgrade OTA without their acceptance.
    4) Technical issues with upgrading and keeping existing user data. Users will not like if everything gets wiped.
    5) Who provides customer support for bugs in installs?

HTC provided an infographic of their update process which may be useful for those who think BB should take that road, there are alot of steps and barriers beyond the cost.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    09-28-15 07:42 PM
    For those that want it. As for me, no thanks!

 Z10 STL 100-3 with vitamin 10.3.1.2744 on AT&T
    1raygin likes this.
    09-28-15 07:44 PM
    Honestly? I really think that Blackberry should allow their existing customers to upgrade their current phones to BBDroid, and that such an offer will help them survive in the long run. Although I love BB10, there are Android apps I NEED that simply won't work. Plus it seems quite clear that Blackberry is at least partially giving up on Blackberry.

And these are my reasons why it benefits Blackberry:

1. Trust in future support. Many customers were burned when the PlayBook was dropped and ignored shortly after launch, and even more lost faith when their fairly new 9810s and 9900s were never given a chance. Providing BBDroid to existing users of the BB10 devices would show that Blackberry is committed to providing support for devices in the long run. This would also get more people sticking with Blackberry as opposed to possibly switching to another manufacturer, and they get familiarized with the BBDroid's customization and so purchase new Blackberry devices for familiarity.

2. User demonstration. People who have upgraded their BB10 devices to BBDroid can show their friends, family, colleagues etc features such as the Hub and physically demonstrate how BBDroid compares to other Android devices; which can make them more inclined to buy a BBDroid when they chose to replace their existing device.

3. Lower cost phones. Devices such as the Z30, Passport, Classic, etc are still really great devices with capable components that can be repackaged and sold as lower-cost BBDroid devices without a major cost of R&D and the latest components components.

4. Potentially limited market cannibalism. Blackberry as it is has pretty minimal marketshare. If BBDroid becomes popular enough then there simply won't be enough used devices floating around to cannibalize a significant amount of new device sales. Plus Blackberry could possibly work out contracts to upgrade company's BB10 fleets to BBDroid. This could mean that Blackberry would want to wait and see how the Priv sells before backporting to existing devices.

I hope Blackberry considers it, but I don't know if they would. I do love BB10, I've been forced to pick up a cheap Android tablet to run specific apps I really need. Using Android I find the OS to be pretty good, but I miss the pack in BB10 apps and keyboard the most.
    If they don't, they'll loose their current customer base and if they do, BB is dead and gone. Too many top notch Android devices already on the market, they need to offer their current BB 10 customers the option of acquiring the Android OS on the BB 10 devices they now own. If had BB's since the 7130, if they don't treat me right this time around, I like a lot of others am gone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-28-15 09:52 PM
    The Android effort had better be very successful for this to even remotely happen. BlackBerry is not known for being faithful to fans or supporters. Quite the opposite.
    JeepBB and LuvULongTime like this.
    09-28-15 10:12 PM
    As it is, once my Z30 sells I'll be getting a Moto so I can actually USE Car2Go and I might never come back. I might buy Blackberry Experience Suite if I can, but I may just get used to what is offered.
    09-28-15 10:12 PM
    BlackBerry should always help customers to upgrade their devices no matter the device.
    Doesn't matter if you have a z10 and wants a q5 or leap, BlackBerry should help to transit ,period, point, punto. In 2years BlackBerry should have offer me a discount or something for my z10 to upgrades to their new phone.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe in a perfect world. I can see a discount if you bought 100 devices at a time. But one phone, not a chance. Your a super small cog in the slow moving machine.

Not even high end CNC machine tools that cost 1 million USD get this level of upgrade or support two years in.

 Classic
    09-28-15 10:21 PM
    People purchased BlackBerry since they hate android . I don't think they will start loving android with priv release. If so, they should buy a new set.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    jsmith00075 likes this.
    09-28-15 10:22 PM
    As someone pointed out on one of those BerryFlow podcasts - It is doubtful BlackBerry would go back and optimize their Android build for all the various hardware formats, screen resolutions and all they've released with BlackBerry 10. Lots of work for something that's not optimal and only a marginal percentage of their users would install. Some folks believe it or not don't really care or know what OS they have. If they just have a BlackBerry and use it for calls and texts and emails and it works they won't go to any trouble to swap in another OS if given the option.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    James Nieves likes this.
    09-28-15 10:42 PM
    BB has already lost money on every single BB10 phone sold, and paying to do all of the (more extensive then you realize) work to create Android builds for all of the existing hardware, and then have to provide support for anyone who wants to upgrade but can't figure out how, or who complains that they lost all of their data they "thought" was backed up, etc. would be a nightmare and a huge cost.

BB's position is absolutely going to be that if folks want the new BB Android, they can get it by buying a Priv. That's the only way BB stands a chance at making a profit, and that's the whole point of their existence.
    09-29-15 12:12 AM
    Utter nonsense
    You ask the impossible.
    It's one thing building a phone for BB10 and quite another to ask it to run android.

You bought a BB10 phone. BB10 isnt going anywhere. Why make foolish irrelevant requests?
    LuvULongTime and DrBoomBotz like this.
    09-29-15 12:28 AM
    Yeah, I would like to see that too! Wish they could do that.

Posted via CB10
    1raygin likes this.
    09-29-15 12:34 AM
    BlackBerry marketing (if they exist) doesn't have the foresight to do this.. they had the opportunity to do an upgrade incentive for BBOS users when BB10 was launched but never did it.. don't think they will do it now considering they are much worse off with the handset division.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 12:42 AM
    BlackBerry marketing (if they exist) doesn't have the foresight to do this.. they had the opportunity to do an upgrade incentive for BBOS users when BB10 was launched but never did it.. don't think they will do it now considering they are much worse off with the handset division.

Posted via CB10
    These sort of upgrades makes no sense for them. It would destroy the company.
    09-29-15 01:27 AM
    Sounds like a downgrade to me.
    09-29-15 02:26 AM
    The Android effort had better be very successful for this to even remotely happen. BlackBerry is not known for being faithful to fans or supporters. Quite the opposite.
    ^ This.

@OP, BB is a business. BB already have your money from the BB10 device you bought. What possible business benefit do BB derive from squandering their diminishing resources on updating your already paid-for phone, while simultaneously giving you a reason to *not* spend money buying a Priv?

It may sound harsh, but business's make those decisions everyday. And BB is a serial dumper of past users - BB07, Playbook - so continuation of that record with BB10 is likely IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    09-29-15 02:48 AM
    ^ This.

@OP, BB is a business. BB already have your money from the BB10 device you bought. What possible business benefit do BB derive from squandering their diminishing resources on updating your already paid-for phone, while simultaneously giving you a reason to *not* spend money buying a Priv?

It may sound harsh, but business's make those decisions everyday. And BB is a serial dumper of past users - BB07, Playbook - so continuation of that record with BB10 is likely IMO.

Because if I'm going to switch to Android I'll just get whatever suits my needs the best. And if I hadn't the chance to experience BBDroid on my crusty old Z30 i won't know what I'm missing if I go with a Moto.
    09-29-15 03:06 AM
    Because if I'm going to switch to Android I'll just get whatever suits my needs the best. And if I hadn't the chance to experience BBDroid on my crusty old Z30 i won't know what I'm missing if I go with a Moto.
    If you buy a Priv, BB "wins" (ker-Ching!)

If you buy a Moto, BB doesn't lose... It already has your money, and it didn't spend any of *its* money in a speculative attempt to keep you.

Only where BB spends the money updating BB10 phones to Android is where it loses as it is both poorer, *and* has deprived itself of the money you might have spent buying a Priv.

Nope, still no business case.

LuvULongTime likes this.
    09-29-15 03:28 AM
    If you buy a Priv, BB "wins" (ker-Ching!)

If you buy a Moto, BB doesn't lose... It already has your money, and it didn't spend any of *its* money in a speculative attempt to keep you.

Only where BB spends the money updating BB10 phones to Android is where it loses as it is both poorer, *and* has deprived itself of the money you might have spent buying a Priv.

Nope, still no business case.

Doesn't that argument ignore the longer term benefit of retaining a customer? Someone who feels unfairly treated (rightly or wrongly) is extremely unlikely to buy anything else from that company so in this case BlackBerry could be losing out on future purchases from existing BB10 customers.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 03:45 AM
    Andro-Loaders?

We've been there already. Probably not gonna happen. It's a sales, marketing, support and specs problem... :-)

�   Forget the name, ... Priv it on! :-)   �
    09-29-15 04:01 AM
89 123 ...