Let's face it. Most apps are written by 3rd party companies or individuals. It really doesn't matter who the app is written for as so much as does it work. I say BlackBerry should sandbox ios now and be done with it. Set yourself different from anyone else. Let QNX rule all the platforms. BlackBerry devices would sell like hotcakes. Also, create a desktop interface that takes over windows when commanded so my laptop would work flawless, fast and straight to the point like my z30 does. It's time for clean, superior computing again. Leave the useless bloatware behind. That's the computer company I want to support.

Posted via CB10
    ghundiraj, badiyee and mnc76 like this.
    04-23-14 11:29 AM
    Umm, iOS is not open source. Some parts of it are, but not nearly enough to build a runtime for iOS apps.

And if you think getting Google to license their apps and services to BB is tough, try getting Apple to license their most valuable OS ever!

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    04-23-14 11:34 AM
    No. They can dump Google Android support as well as far as I am concerned. Focus on creating the perfect BlackBerry experience for users and developers. Stop piddling scarce resources on those stupid BlackBerry Universities, BlackBerry OS 7 smartphones, and flying in the corporate jet. Deliver a BlackBerry tablet (4GB RAM, 128GB system memory) running BlackBerry OS 10 with fully-functional BlackBerry Bridge. Reinstate development support for the current BlackBerry PlayBook by bringing the BlackBerry OS 10 run-time libraries for applications while keeping the existing BlackBerry Tablet OS 2 user interface. In other words "get with the programme and stop agitating the dwindling user base." Loyalists eventually face the truth...and BlackBerry management cannot handle the truth.
    Alain_A likes this.
    04-23-14 11:39 AM
    No. They can dump Google Android support as well as far as I am concerned. Focus on creating the perfect BlackBerry experience for users and developers. Stop piddling scarce resources on those stupid BlackBerry Universities, BlackBerry OS 7 smartphones, and flying in the corporate jet. Deliver a BlackBerry tablet (4GB RAM, 128GB system memory) running BlackBerry OS 10 with fully-functional BlackBerry Bridge. Reinstate development support for the current BlackBerry PlayBook by bringing the BlackBerry OS 10 run-time libraries for applications while keeping the existing BlackBerry Tablet OS 2 user interface. In other words "get with the programme and stop agitating the dwindling user base." Loyalists eventually face the truth...and BlackBerry management cannot handle the truth.
    that post is clear a daylight. The main reason i enjoy my OS7 Bold 99900 is Blackberry Bridge. Internet connection anywhere and notifications on a bigger screen. The Bold 9900 has the best keyboard too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-23-14 12:34 PM
    QNX can run iOS apps. And there has been an attempt to run older iOS apps in the PlayBook.

The efforts have been probably squashed by now. But, if there weren't legal issues involved, BlackBerry could have iOS apps running just like Android apps.

Posted from my Z30 using CB10
    04-23-14 01:57 PM
    Wouldn't Apple have to allow this? I don't see how this would be remotely possible as Apple is a closed system unlike Android.
    04-23-14 02:29 PM
    Wouldn't Apple have to allow this? I don't see how this would be remotely possible as Apple is a closed system unlike Android.
    Apple would have to allow this. And the chances of that happening are as slim as us getting a CB10 app update as promised....by I digress. lol.
    I think the only way BlackBerry could legally get around this would be if it was an emulator and had to be side loaded.
    04-23-14 02:38 PM
    Not going to happen. Apple wouldn't allow it.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-23-14 03:00 PM
    I am sure ios is written in a common programming language. Most ios apps are written by 3rd party companies or individuals. BBM was allowed to enter the wall garden. If Apple could have stopped that they would have, but the implications would have been huge. Now if QNX Could adapt to run Apple apps, 3rd party ones, I am not sure what say Apple actually has. They can't stop these app developers from writing for Android. I am not saying loading ios on my BlackBerry device. There is a difference. I am talking about QNX reading and running 3rd party ios apps. Mac emulates Windows no?

Posted via CB10
    04-24-14 08:26 AM
    I run my bank app from ios

Posted Via my Q10
    04-24-14 08:49 AM
    I run my bank app from ios

Posted Via my Q10
    Can you expand on this? Like how did you load it, does it run smoothly etc.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-14 09:09 AM
    On my Q5, CMB app from Android
    BlackBerry should load iOS apps next!-img_20140424_161445.jpg

On my Z30, CMB app from iOS (look on the corner of my Z30 screen)

BlackBerry should load iOS apps next!-img_20140424_161547.jpg

And the 2 app

BlackBerry should load iOS apps next!-img_20140424_161622.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails BlackBerry should load iOS apps next!-img_20140424_161408.jpg  
    Affie36 likes this.
    04-24-14 09:16 AM
    I am sure ios is written in a common programming language. Most ios apps are written by 3rd party companies or individuals. BBM was allowed to enter the wall garden. If Apple could have stopped that they would have, but the implications would have been huge. Now if QNX Could adapt to run Apple apps, 3rd party ones, I am not sure what say Apple actually has. They can't stop these app developers from writing for Android. I am not saying loading ios on my BlackBerry device. There is a difference. I am talking about QNX reading and running 3rd party ios apps. Mac emulates Windows no?

Posted via CB10
    To run iOS apps you first need the Cocoa Application Layer, and that is the part of OSX and iOS that is entirely closed source. It probably would be easy to run it on another OS but not without Apples blessings, Simply having on a non Apple device will send the full force of Apples legal department to war. Native iOS apps are written in Objective C, yes there are other options but Objective C is by far the best. Not many use Objective C outside of the Apple ecosystem.
    04-24-14 09:33 AM
    BlackBerry will need to license from apple since its not open source. Its pointless anyways since it is a wasteful expense, thats not really necessary. Google apks already have enough apps to match ios anyways
    04-24-14 12:20 PM
    If Apple were to profit from allowing BlackBerry to have an iOS runtime, why not? Same with Google.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-14 12:58 PM
    If Apple were to profit from allowing BlackBerry to have an iOS runtime, why not? Same with Google.
    The tiny profits either company would get from a small percent of BB10 owners (who are already a miniscule percentage of the smartphone market) wouldn't begin to be worth it to help enable a direct competitor. These are businesses, not charities.

Let's say you owned a chain of pizza restaurants, and you had a secret recipe for pizza sauce that brought in customers from all over, kept your restaurants full all the time, and allowed you to charge a premium. There's a pizza place down the street who is nearly out of business, because despite having a decent restaurant, and making pretty good dough, they have terrible pizza sauce, and thus few customers. Does it make sense to "license" your sauce recipe to this competitor, so that you make 50 cents every time they sell a pizza, or would you let them go out of business and encourage their customers to come to your restaurant for their pizza, where you make $10 every time you sell them a pizza?

This is Business 101.
    Elite1, bbq10l, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    04-24-14 01:14 PM
    QNX can run iOS apps. And there has been an attempt to run older iOS apps in the PlayBook.
    The only way that QNX can "run" iOS apps is if there is an iPhone plugged into it. The app runs on the iPhone and the QNX dash device display the screen and passes along touch inputs.
    app_Developer and JeepBB like this.
    04-24-14 01:15 PM
    that post is clear a daylight. The main reason i enjoy my OS7 Bold 99900 is Blackberry Bridge. Internet connection anywhere and notifications on a bigger screen. The Bold 9900 has the best keyboard too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    You do realize that perhaps at best they sold maybe 2 mill Playbooks. I would suggest that perhaps 1 mill are actively used as an everyday tablet. Say of that 1 mill only 500, 000 bother bridging ( I know I do not for example ). So maybe at best 1 % of the 60 million BlackBerry owners out there care. If I used a Z30 or a Z3... I would for sure not care. Perhaps when they make a Q device with a reasonably sized screen neither will you.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 04-24-14 at 01:40 PM.
    04-24-14 01:22 PM
    About a year ago a user named BusinessCat posted in the news forum that he successfully got iOS apps to run on BB10. I believe the mods reached out and it was verified however the poster disappeared.
    nick13b and Bbnivende like this.
    04-24-14 01:23 PM
    I am curious - could BlackBerry make an OS that could run on Apple or Androids and sell it as a retail software ? Is that technically feasible ?

What were the BBOS hybrid OS's ?
    04-24-14 01:30 PM
    I am curious - could BlackBerry make an OS that could run on Apple or Androids and sell it as a retail software ? Is that technically feasible ?

What were the BBOS hybrid OS's ?
    Not very technically feasible and definitely not financially viable.

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...phones-925989/
    Bbnivende likes this.
    04-24-14 05:16 PM
    The tiny profits either company would get from a small percent of BB10 owners (who are already a miniscule percentage of the smartphone market) wouldn't begin to be worth it to help enable a direct competitor. These are businesses, not charities.

Let's say you owned a chain of pizza restaurants, and you had a secret recipe for pizza sauce that brought in customers from all over, kept your restaurants full all the time, and allowed you to charge a premium. There's a pizza place down the street who is nearly out of business, because despite having a decent restaurant, and making pretty good dough, they have terrible pizza sauce, and thus few customers. Does it make sense to "license" your sauce recipe to this competitor, so that you make 50 cents every time they sell a pizza, or would you let them go out of business and encourage their customers to come to your restaurant for their pizza, where you make $10 every time you sell them a pizza?

This is Business 101.
    Analogy is not even close to comparing what we are talking about. For Google to allow BlackBerry access to Google play, it further promotes Android and the Google money making plan. Apple will make good money from allowing their apps to run on BlackBerry also due to the number of downloads from the potential device sales from the jump in the number of handsets that BlackBerry will potentially sell. Everyone wins. This will have no negative effects on Google. They are in the Ad/ Data business. No effects to Apple either as its another Avenue to sell through their app store.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 11:55 AM
    Analogy is not even close to comparing what we are talking about. For Google to allow BlackBerry access to Google play, it further promotes Android and the Google money making plan. Apple will make good money from allowing their apps to run on BlackBerry also due to the number of downloads from the potential device sales from the jump in the number of handsets that BlackBerry will potentially sell. Everyone wins. This will have no negative effects on Google. They are in the Ad/ Data business. No effects to Apple either as its another Avenue to sell through their app store.
    Really? Can BB users buy paid apps from the Play Store? Can BB users make in-app purchases from Play Store apps? No? Then where is this money for Google and for the app developers?

From Google's point of view, if BB users get tired of not having apps, most of them will end up buying an Android phone, and then they will have access to the full app ecosystem, including paid apps and in-app purchases, which will generate money for Google. Plus, those people on Android won't go to BB World for other things - ALL of their purchases will be in the Play Store.

It's really not that difficult to understand.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-26-14 12:34 PM
    The Android runtime adds overhead to BlackBerry 10. We need BlackBerry 10 as lean as is possible. IMO. I like being able to run a few Android apps but I do wish there was not the need for the ART. And I'd not want to see anything else crammed in.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    04-26-14 12:50 PM
    Really? Can BB users buy paid apps from the Play Store? Can BB users make in-app purchases from Play Store apps? No? Then where is this money for Google and for the app developers?

From Google's point of view, if BB users get tired of not having apps, most of them will end up buying an Android phone, and then they will have access to the full app ecosystem, including paid apps and in-app purchases, which will generate money for Google. Plus, those people on Android won't go to BB World for other things - ALL of their purchases will be in the Play Store.

It's really not that difficult to understand.
    It's simple business. Google allows BlackBerry access... BlackBerry users can then login or create a Google account and have at it. same with Apple.

If I own a grocery chain as well as you, you best believe that your customers are welcome to shop at my stores. If I have a website that sells products (shop Crackberry for instance) , and say another competitor doesn't but has a user base, why wouldn't Kevin allow that websites users to spend money with them? Or vice versa?

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 04:33 PM
30 12