Well this idea has been like a worm in my brain..
    Really I don't know how much / or. How many millions it will need to use the towers ,that are already up,

and how easy it would be to be a carrier itself,
    I know that today every thing is a money business... but would this be a
    Good choice?
    Personally I think so...
    How many millions of USERS???
    I think that BlackBerry should consider the idea,
    Or maybe it already did... and we don't know
    What is your opinion / say about this?

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 09:04 AM
    That would be cool and all of the updates would go out at once. Every country would have the same phones also

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 09:18 AM
    Being an actual carrier would cost billions. Perhaps you mean an MVNO like Virgin Mobile. Thats doable. Whether that makes business sense I don't know.
    02-16-14 02:41 PM
    Can't see that happening, with the way carriers (atleast in the US) see BlackBerry, they will likely charge them some outrageous price to use their towers. Making it pretty much financially impossible to do.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 02:50 PM
    What network would they use in the us if they did that. Who has been the most loyal? Verizon?

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 02:51 PM
    This isn't that bad of an idea actually. Especially if BlackBerry didn't have to front the whole cost themselves.

Posted via Z30
    02-16-14 04:26 PM
    The only option I would almost see possible was if BlackBerry made nice with an MVNO such as virgin mobile/ boost and sold directly to them and only them.

The problem would be despite most of those companies offering "unlimited" data it is usually throttled early and I can't imagine some business people playing nice with being throttled.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 04:29 PM
    A carrier??

As in setup it's own networks, register and abide by regulations, setup GGSN/SGSN's, implement new power grids to sustain such a network and the huge major cost of such an endeavor??!!

You have no idea what carriers do.

If you mean being like virgin mobile is in North America where they don't own their own networks but pay huge fees annually to piggy back on an existing network just to support their devices and still have to be regulated?

Doesn't make any real business sense to make dollars over what their already doing.

BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    lonedog and JeepBB like this.
    02-16-14 04:35 PM
    Lol if companies like Google, or Microsoft haven't done this, what makes ya'll think BlackBerry with 3 to 4 billion in the bank would be able to pull this off.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 05:56 PM
    Lol if companies like Google, or Microsoft haven't done this, what makes ya'll think BlackBerry with 3 to 4 billion in the bank would be able to pull this off.

Posted via CB10
    Drugs. Lol

Sent from my  using Tapatalk
    Rello, Supa_Fly1 and JeepBB like this.
    02-16-14 05:59 PM
    Drugs. Lol

Sent from my  using Tapatalk
    Very strong drugs I see lol

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    02-16-14 07:06 PM
    I'm guys I'm not a business man, dunno much about these giants
    And dunno about the cost that is involved
    But the idea to be. A carrier is very cool
    We have contract with our own carrier
    Plus the price of the phone, or include d in the contracts so....
    We will be paying the cost of the service and getting the phone from the same people
    But again that was just an idea,

Posted via CB10
    02-18-14 01:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    I always wondered if apple would do it.
    They are actively seeking out new revenue streams and have a ton of cash.
    Maybe once the carrier deals are done and the guarantees gone we'll see that.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-14 06:15 PM
    I always wondered if apple would do it.
    They are actively seeking out new revenue streams and have a ton of cash.
    Maybe once the carrier deals are done and the guarantees gone we'll see that.

Posted via CB10
    lol this wouldve been a much better idea (no offense OP lol)

Apple has sooooo much cash in the bank its ridiculous. im sure if they really wanted to do it, they most likely could but BB really isnt financially stable.

I could see Google doing it before anyone else but seriously doubt it would ever happen.
    02-18-14 06:19 PM
    Lol I was actually contemplating this recently.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-14 06:25 PM
    You know those ideas that are so crazy that they just might work?

This isn't one of them.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-14 07:17 PM
    I think it would be great to deal with BlackBerry directly if it offered MVNO service like Simple Mobile. Verizon network would probably be preferred in North America. I pay Sprint $100/mo which I would gladly give BlackBerry (for the same service, of course).
    02-18-14 07:55 PM
    Being its own carrier will cost wayy too much and way to complicated especially in the usa.
    Although I have been thinking if BlackBerry stayed focused on the hardware industry, I wud definetly buy a BlackBerry laptop running windows, or perhaps a tv
    02-18-14 09:01 PM
    You know those ideas that are so crazy that they just might work?

This isn't one of them.

Posted via CB10
    You can say that again. Sorry OP.
    02-18-14 09:02 PM
    Seems to me that BlackBerry already has a plan in place. From what I've seen so far, it's pretty sound.

Z10 (STL 100-3) Superphone with vitamin 10.2.1.1925
    02-18-14 09:28 PM
    I don't see why BlackBerry should be its own carrier. I think it should take a page out of the book of Google and just sell all devices directly. Or BlackBerry could do whatever Apple did in getting carriers to agree to not put their own stamp on the OS.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-14 10:31 PM
    I don't see why BlackBerry should be its own carrier. I think it should take a page out of the book of Google and just sell all devices directly.
    The problem with that is that something like 97% of smartphones purchased in the US are bought from carriers; only a tiny percent are bought unlocked directly from the manufacturer. BB needs the carriers far more than the carriers need BB, which is why BB has no real leverage with the carriers: carriers have mostly LOST money on BB10 phones by having to carry them in inventory for months and months, tying up the carriers' money, and by having to replace/exchange phones for all of the people who returned them after purchase, which happened a lot in the months right after launch when there was that nasty rebooting bug in 10.0.

Or BlackBerry could do whatever Apple did in getting carriers to agree to not put their own stamp on the OS.
    What Apple did was use the massive leverage they had, given the enormous consumer interest in the long-rumored iPhone, to force AT&T (actually Cingular at the time, just after they bought AT&T, and before they rebranded themselves back to AT&T) to accept letting Apple have direct control over updates. The big wave of interest was only one portion of the leverage, though; the other part of the equation was that Apple agreed to provide primary end-user support for the phones through its network of Apple Stores, whereas all other manufacturers lack such support capabilities and rely on the carriers to handle support. Even then, Apple originally wanted to release the iPhone on Verizon, but they couldn't make the deal because Verizon didn't want to allow Apple to have full control of the phone. Apple had to go with their second choice (AT&T), and AT&T had to accept because, at the time, they were losing customers quickly and were in danger of falling into 3rd place behind Sprint.

All of this is important because Apple had a LOT of leverage against AT&T at the time. Today's BB has NO leverage with any carrier. For the most part, carriers are making little money by carrying BB, and some are even losing money, which is why carrier support for BB has eroded. Apple had leverage because of the massive potential to bring new customers to the carrier and get them on a contract. BB10 has generated virtually no demand, and BBOS's numbers continue to fall as well, so again, BB has no leverage to "force" the carriers to do anything, much less be given the keys to the kingdom. Until BB can generate Apple-levels of demand and bring in the premium customers in huge numbers, BB will have no leverage to make demands of the carriers. Believing otherwise is a pipe dream.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-19-14 03:14 AM