So I just read this:
    Kim Kardashian might have to give up her BlackBerry Bold | CrackBerry.com

And thought, why don't BB start targeting the ultra rich as part of their new strategy?

Use Kim K, who we all know loves her BB, to push BB, but not just any BB, rather a renewed line of BB Z30, BB Priv, BB Classic and BB Passport styled devices built with leather, high quality metal, vulcanised rubber and sapphire glass displays. Much like how Seal was a Vertu brand ambassador, have Kim K as the 'BB Premium' brand ambassador, selling the build quality and security of these high end BBs to your ultra rich.

BB can then build more watered down versions of those devices under another name, sold to general public, and have them and other smartphone owners (Apple, Samsung, LG etc... Owners) aspiring to own those top ultra premium BB Premium devices.

Going for mid to low end is a race to the bottom, why not fill that gap between what Vertu do and what Apple & Samsung do, and make BBs devices that people aspire to own?

Make use of BB10 OS or Android, create services for BB Premium like concierge services and then offer watered down versions of that service on the normal BBs with the possibility for the top end normal BBs to be able to subscribe to the 'BB Premium Conierge Service' at a set monthly or yearly fee, give them a taste of what they can get if they get a 'BB Premium' device.

I think BB have to swim against the mid to low end tide, create devices that are aspirational, much like how your BMW and Mercs began with luxury sedans and sports cars and then in later years got into the hot hatch segment with a premium hot hatch like the 135i.
    06-12-16 01:21 PM
    I completely agree as long as the devices have ultra high end specs to match (unlike the Porsche models.) There are people willing to pay a hefty premium for performance and style. The Porsche models didn't make the cut for me because they basically had the same guts which were mid range at best at launch despite some unique packaging. Give me an all touch Z10 sized successor with 4GB ram and the latest processor running BlackBerry 10 and I'll pay dearly for it with a big smile on my face.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    mrimperfect and Big Pete1 like this.
    06-12-16 02:50 PM
    I still believe if Chen had invested his time and effort properly as he is investing in android now, things have been drastically different for BB10.
    He still has time. Just bring ur focus little more to BB10. Talk with app makers...bring the famous apps. Market BB10. People will stand in ques to buy bb

Posted via CB10
    schwede likes this.
    06-12-16 02:53 PM
    I'm guessing it'll work about as well as the Alicia Keys deal, except with extra costs for R&D.
    06-12-16 03:02 PM
    Here is a phone I would buy from.Blackberry:

No physical keyboard
    5.5 inch amoled
    Octacore
    128gb
    Microsdxc support
    WiFi/4GLTE
    app permission control, not just notification
    Hub
    Protected cross platform bbm out of the box.

I would pay 800-1000 for that.
    06-12-16 03:10 PM
    And how would that be any different than it is now? Kim K is already known to use BB devices. If by your logic her fans would clamour for her preferred device, why would they flock to it just because she has a luxury built device versus what she's already using?

If anything, flaunting a celebrity device would only point out the disparity in financial income between her and the average user. If she had any real impact on BB sales, people would rather be able to purchase the same device she uses instead of having to settle for a cheaper version of what she has.

As it is now, very few fans are mimicking her choice in smartphone even when sold at budget prices. Let her show off a luxury/premium device that the majority of her fans can't even afford, and you'd see less people buying them because they can't afford the Kim K model.

There's already the Porsche models of BB devices, and those don't exactly encourage increased sales. Kim K wouldn't change that.

If Kim K could do any good by endorsing BB, it'd be better for BB if she touted their standard devices (oh wait... she already does, and it doesn't help).
    06-12-16 03:41 PM
    And how would that be any different than it is now? Kim K is already known to use BB devices. If by your logic her fans would clamour for her preferred device, why would they flock to it just because she has a luxury built device versus what she's already using?

If anything, flaunting a celebrity device would only point out the disparity in financial income between her and the average user. If she had any real impact on BB sales, people would rather be able to purchase the same device she uses instead of having to settle for a cheaper version of what she has.

As it is now, very few fans are mimicking her choice in smartphone even when sold at budget prices. Let her show off a luxury/premium device that the majority of her fans can't even afford, and you'd see less people buying them because they can't afford the Kim K model.

There's already the Porsche models of BB devices, and those don't exactly encourage increased sales. Kim K wouldn't change that.

If Kim K could do any good by endorsing BB, it'd be better for BB if she touted their standard devices (oh wait... she already does, and it doesn't help).
    She uses it but doesn't really promote it, have we ever seen Kim K do a BB commercial to show why e.g. she uses it more than her iPhone? Nope.

The strategy would certainly need fine tuning, but what would help is having a celeb who legitimately uses and loves the product, possibly even do a review of how it fits in her regular day.

There's is so much content wise that BB could do with her as she is a fan.
    06-12-16 05:22 PM
    Unless you're an ultra-rich person yourself, I don't see why you give a shibabble about what rich people want.
    06-12-16 05:37 PM
    There's is so much content wise that BB could do with her as she is a fan.
    "Worthless person uses our product, you should too!"
    06-12-16 06:00 PM
    I think this strategy of marketing via celebrities is great...but the timing just isn't right. Back in BB's heydey, it would've compounded their already impressive following and perhaps it would've even helped stave off the beginnings of the declining years.

BlackBerry where they stand today simply can't afford to ride on a celebrity endorsement unless they have the product & performance to match. The only way for BlackBerry hardware to blow people away and get the attention of the general public is to exceed all technical spec categories of competitor handsets at a competitive price point.
    06-12-16 08:01 PM
    Kim K is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum in where Chen is heading with devices if he even continues with devices at all. They are looking to sell mid tier devices in big contracts with govt and such. They arent looking to sell to the uber rich because face it its small portion of people that will buy a $1000+ device.
    SK122387 and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    06-12-16 08:34 PM
    Kim Kardashian doesn't care about highend phones--she uses a Bold 9900 from 2011, which she'd probably continue to use even if she was the face of this "BB Premium" fantasy.

Posted via CB10
    donnation likes this.
    06-12-16 09:53 PM
    Missing ordinary third party apps or having to install and maintain workarounds would hardly be a premium experience.
    06-13-16 12:32 AM
    Kim K is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum in where Chen is heading with devices if he even continues with devices at all. They are looking to sell mid tier devices in big contracts with govt and such. They arent looking to sell to the uber rich because face it its small portion of people that will buy a $1000+ device.
    Exactly right! The masses is where the $ is and not the 2% of the "ultra rich."

Besides, wasn't this the idea with the Priv? It is a high-end type device that was supposed to compete with Apple.

Then again if Vertu is still in buisness, there is a demand for ultra luxury items but it's not enough to probably make $ on. Objects like these become "status" items, and that's fine, but out of the reach for most and that's how they maintain that status.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-13-16 12:38 AM

What you and everyone else said, plus the "Porsche Design" devices are hideous.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    06-13-16 02:18 AM
    Of course, she'll probably end up taking BB's money, then get caught tweeting from her iPhone like Alicia Keys did.
    06-13-16 04:35 AM
    i dont know why i would need super t***mp to tell me what phone to use or why. I already know this for myself on top of that this "ultra premium" idea means it will only cost the consumers even more money to pay this lady and more expensive phones as if bb doesnt charge enough to begin with. We all here know why bb has failed.
    06-13-16 08:10 AM
    OP, They are currently trying that. The Priv also stands for "Privilege" according to Chen and they priced it to be an aspirational device.
    06-13-16 09:04 AM
    Kim Kardashian doesn't care about highend phones--she uses a Bold 9900 from 2011, which she'd probably continue to use even if she was the face of this "BB Premium" fantasy.

Posted via CB10
    That's because she doesn't like BlackBerry 10 phones which would be problematic.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-16 09:23 AM
    Unfortunately Blackberry is not in the position to develop a high end device at the present time. With the limited resources they have they should be focusing on the software security side of the business.

I will be very curious to see what happens after the company announces their quarterly results on June 23rd?

If the device revenue is down, which I am betting it is, this might be the end of the consumer hardware portion of the company. It should get real interesting the next couple of quarters.
    06-13-16 10:13 AM
    I don't think they should go "ultra premium" as in hardware with a designer name or silly gimmicks like liquid metal. But I do think BlackBerry should have considered what their competition is doing. Are BlackPhone devcies cheap?

I see a LOT of iPhones in the business market these days. I'm not convinced that this enterprise security niche has to have $400-$500 phones.

But then KNOX is really more of a Service now... it really comes down to who is BlackBerry's competition, and what gives them an edge over them.
    bakron1 likes this.
    06-13-16 10:48 AM
    I don't think they should go "ultra premium" as in hardware with a designer name or silly gimmicks like liquid metal. But I do think BlackBerry should have considered what their competition is doing. Are BlackPhone devcies cheap?

I see a LOT of iPhones in the business market these days. I'm not convinced that this enterprise security niche has to have $400-$500 phones.

But then KNOX is really more of a Service now... it really comes down to who is BlackBerry's competition, and what gives them an edge over them.
    I still say if they would have introduced the Priv at 499.00 US instead of 699, they would have had a better chance at success. But that's all water under the bridge now.
    06-13-16 10:52 AM
    OP, They are currently trying that. The Priv also stands for "Privilege" according to Chen and they priced it to be an aspirational device.
    The Priv is barely premium, its build quality is average. I'm talking Vertu type premium and then another group of devices for general public.
    06-13-16 11:58 AM
    Unfortunately Blackberry is not in the position to develop a high end device at the present time. With the limited resources they have they should be focusing on the software security side of the business.

I will be very curious to see what happens after the company announces their quarterly results on June 23rd?

If the device revenue is down, which I am betting it is, this might be the end of the consumer hardware portion of the company. It should get real interesting the next couple of quarters.
    Indeed, that will be interesting to see.
    06-13-16 11:58 AM
    They already have ultra premium device offerings through Porche Designs.

What they need to do have good quality devices such as phones that don't lag and perform like Google's Nexus line does.

Once that happens, they can push to consumers.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-13-16 12:09 PM
36 12