There are rumors that tech giants like Google and Facebook are courting Waze in order to buy the company. Waze is arguably the best mapping App out there, in some ways better than Google Maps. I think BlackBerry should buy Waze and make a better version of Blackberry Maps. Doing this will also allow them to eventually release a BB Maps app for other platforms, similar to what they are doing with BBM.

What do you guys think?

Posted via CB10
    brian4591 likes this.
    05-29-13 05:45 PM
    There are rumors that tech giants like Google and Facebook are courting Waze in order to buy the company. Waze is arguably the best mapping App out there, in some ways better than Google Maps. I think BlackBerry should buy Waze and make a better version of Blackberry Maps. Doing this will also allow them to eventually release a BB Maps app for other platforms, similar to what they are doing with BBM.

What do you guys think?

Posted via CB10
    Why would Android or iOS users want BlackBerry Maps?
    05-29-13 05:51 PM
    Does Blackberry have enough money to outbid Android or Facebook ?
    05-29-13 05:54 PM
    Rumor had Facebook acquisition around $1 billion for Waze. Apparently it hit a snag and Facebook has ended the offer.
    05-29-13 06:08 PM
    Waze would be a waste of money to purchase. Love or hate em, google maps is entrenched in everyone's head
    05-29-13 06:12 PM
    I would rather have BlackBerry acquire Shazam or soundhound technology and integrate that into BlackBerry World.

That would really help BlackBerry World song downloads.
    05-29-13 07:15 PM
    BlackBerry should acquire something else.

Something that would be really cool to add. LEAP Motion would be an awesome company. Imagine that technology in our phone!!

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 07:17 PM
    blackberry already bought a company back then called dash navigation that had the same concept of waze. it's unfortunate that they didn't incorporate blackberry traffic to bb10 somehow some way.
    05-29-13 08:34 PM
    Google??? Ever heard of Google Maps? ok that makes sense. Facebook is the likely purchaser of Waze
    05-29-13 08:40 PM
    I agree that waze is a better product then google maps.. in fact I dare to say waze is the best mobile map/gps product out there.. I hadn't heard they were being courted for a buyout.. i'm sorry to hear that. I hope whatever happens the app continues to be available and be updated on our Blackberries.. I don't necessarily want blackberry to buy it, though.. I want that more then I want it to be owned by google, as if google buys it chances are we won't have it... not sure how I feel about facebook owning it.. but my preference would be that it remains independent.. as much as I would like it to be part of the blackberry family, there is still a stigma around blackberry products for snooty ios users, you'll see when BBM goes cross platform this summer, many won't use it just because it's blackberry.. waze would be the same if it were blackberry owned, and what makes waze so good it the data it gathers from it's users.. less people using it would mean the app is less good for those of us that do use it.

I now use waze as my primary GPS, I've relegated a thousand dollar garmin to the glove box because waze is simply better.. the map is great, always up to date, the directions are good, but the real awsomenes comes from the real time alerts as other users driving data is collected and/or users report problems on the road.. police, traffic, even debris on the road are instantly reported to me in real time as I drive.. my garmin can't do that. But it's only possible if the app continues to be free and used by A LOT of people, on all platforms.
    brian4591 and David in Durham like this.
    05-29-13 08:53 PM
    i stopped using waze because of the lack of support for blackberries. There hasnt been an update for waze for blackberry (legacy) since i had my 9700m i have had an iphone 4 since then and is still the same waze version and always seems to have problems. I now use Blackberry navigator it works well and i believe that blackberry not long purchased the company who created it. i cannot remember the old name it had and it uses tom tom maps. No live traffic though.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-29-13 09:02 PM
    blackberry already bought a company back then called dash navigation that had the same concept of waze. it's unfortunate that they didn't incorporate blackberry traffic to bb10 somehow some way.
    BlackBerry Maps can show traffic?
    05-29-13 09:07 PM
    I don't really like waze.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    05-29-13 09:20 PM
    BlackBerry should acquire something else.

Something that would be really cool to add. LEAP Motion would be an awesome company. Imagine that technology in our phone!!

Posted via CB10
    Correct if I'm wrong, but I think I saw that Nokia is in the process of merging LEAP with Nokia HERE
    BlackBerry should buy Blaq
    05-29-13 09:26 PM
    Google??? Ever heard of Google Maps? ok that makes sense. Facebook is the likely purchaser of Waze
    News is that Facebook has backed off of the talks and that Google is the only one looking to buy..

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 09:36 PM
    Correct if I'm wrong, but I think I saw that Nokia is in the process of merging LEAP with Nokia HERE
    BlackBerry should buy Blaq
    Damn. Reading it now.

I mentioned earlier today that BlackBerry should acquire Leap Motion.

And yes, Blaq would be a good acquisition, but I think that there are many others that would better suit them.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 10:35 PM
    BlackBerry Maps can show traffic?
    they integrated the dash navigation services with blackberry traffic which is available to the legacy devices. why blackberry didn't bring blackberry traffic to bb10...that's another question.
    05-30-13 02:16 AM
    Waze isn't great.
    It doesn't know one way streets in Toronto. Plus it doesn't show all users on the map. I've been driving with others who had their Waze on too and we couldn't see each other.
    05-30-13 05:56 AM
    I would rather have BlackBerry acquire Shazam or soundhound technology and integrate that into BlackBerry World.

That would really help BlackBerry World song downloads.
    This was an idea I had from a while ago! Dating back to the 9900 launch. Basically I was saying that BlackBerry should partner or purchase shazam. With this they could integrate it like no one else! I was saying they should put it into their voice control. For BB10 you open voice control and it asks what you would like to do, and you tell it "shazam". And it instantly will start listening to the song being played and within the voice control app show you details about the song.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 06:11 AM
    This was an idea I had from a while ago! Dating back to the 9900 launch. Basically I was saying that BlackBerry should partner or purchase shazam. With this they could integrate it like no one else! I was saying they should put it into their voice control. For BB10 you open voice control and it asks what you would like to do, and you tell it "shazam". And it instantly will start listening to the song being played and within the voice control app show you details about the song.

Posted via CB10
    I like your thinking.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 07:09 AM
    I think BlackBerry could just make their own using BBM integration, That would be pretty cool.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 09:55 AM