"WhatsApp alternatives for BB10

Speaking to TechRadar, BlackBerry said, �While the app landscape continues to evolve, our commitment to BlackBerry 10 and our developers is unwavering. We are actively exploring alternatives for BlackBerry users once support of WhatsApp Messenger for BBOS and BlackBerry 10 ends in late 2016.�

What this means is not known clearly, but there are plenty of alternatives to WhatsApp, and BlackBerry�s own BBM service is one. However, there is a downside to switching as it�s not possible for BB10 users to communicate with friends who do not use BBM or*other services.

One option for the Canadian firm could be working out a deal with Facebook, WhatsApp�s owner, to develop a third-party WhatsApp app for its own platform specifically. This option is a good one since the Canadian firm already builds Facebook and Twitter apps of its own. However, WhatsApp�s policy prohibits third-party apps, and in the past, it has taken some strict measures about clamping down on them.

The Canadian firm would need to convince them to make an exception, and this could benefit WhatsApp also as it would be able to continue clinging on to the Canadian firm�s users without any need to put time and resources into maintaining its own apps for the platform.

BlackBerry users file online petition"

WhatsApp�s decision to withdraw support for the BlackBerry OS has left users furious, and they have launched an online petition to fight the messaging giant. The Canadian smartphone maker has a small share of the global smartphone market, but its users were actively fighting against the decision.

�WhatsApp decided to stop supporting BlackBerry 10 at the end of this year. This is nonsense [sic] a lot of people still use the platform daily. I hope WhatsApp/Facebook sees [sic] this. At least give us the service with no updates. Please share this with your friends! WhatsApp will hear us [and] care about us,� the petition reads."

BlackBerry Seeks Alternatives To Replace WhatsApp

Posted via CB10
    03-04-16 08:58 AM
    One option for the Canadian firm could be working out a deal with Facebook, WhatsApp�s owner, to develop a third-party WhatsApp app for its own platform specifically. This option is a good one since the Canadian firm already builds Facebook and Twitter apps of its own. However, WhatsApp�s policy prohibits third-party apps, and in the past, it has taken some strict measures about clamping down on them.

The Canadian firm would need to convince them to make an exception, and this could benefit WhatsApp also as it would be able to continue clinging on to the Canadian firm�s users without any need to put time and resources into maintaining its own apps for the platform.
    The problem is that the people BlackBerry users are communicating with on WhatsApp are not looking for an alternative.

The in-house development option is the only one that seems viable to me. Whether BlackBerry does this or not will be a test of its "unwavering" commitment to BB10 or whether they just tell users that it's time to upgrade to an Android BlackBerry in 2017. I'll bet John Chen is getting cost estimates right now and thinking that he already spent a ton adopting Android and now he's being asked to spend money developing 3rd party apps for BB10 that have no future where they are going.
    03-04-16 09:08 AM
    Already being discussed....

Not a lot of reason for BlackBerry to really do anything but say they are committed.
    ravencore likes this.
    03-04-16 09:09 AM
    Already being discussed....

Not a lot of reason for BlackBerry to really do anything but say they are committed.
    They actually said something though compared to everything else where they have been quet on. It feels like if they get an exemption they can try to retain their BlackBerry users. I'm not sure just thought it was interesting

Posted via CB10
    03-04-16 09:14 AM
    The problem is that the people BlackBerry users are communicating with on WhatsApp are not looking for an alternative.

The in-house development option is the only one that seems viable to me. Whether BlackBerry does this or not will be a test of its "unwavering" commitment to BB10 or whether they just tell users that it's time to upgrade to an Android BlackBerry in 2017. I'll bet John Chen is getting cost estimates right now and thinking that he already spent a ton adopting Android and now he's being asked to spend money developing 3rd party apps for BB10 that have no future where they are going.
    BB10's future is Highly Regulated Industries and Government.... neither of which is going to need WhatsApp. I bet Chep told PR to whitewash it and move on.

So far the app isn't gone, and it may always be in BBW... just no new updates - or "support" if a BB10 user has problems.
    03-04-16 09:34 AM
    BB10's future is Highly Regulated Industries and Government.... neither of which is going to need WhatsApp. I bet Chep told PR to whitewash it and move on.

So far the app isn't gone, and it may always be in BBW... just no new updates - or "support" if a BB10 user has problems.
    The rest of the article mentions that they should keepe the app available but not update it. That way people still continue to communicate with other people. They must be prepping to do something to whatsapp, to say we are going to just end service but make it unavailable because The marketshare is too small for the updates and features that they hope to bring. That's how I understood it.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-16 09:41 AM
    One option for the Canadian firm could be working out a deal with Facebook, WhatsApp’s owner, to develop a third-party WhatsApp app for its own platform specifically. This option is a good one since the Canadian firm already builds Facebook and Twitter apps of its own. However, WhatsApp’s policy prohibits third-party apps, and in the past, it has taken some strict measures about clamping down on them.
    If their Whatsapp client is anything like their Facebook or Twitter clients, you're better off not having it at all.
    Wybrem likes this.
    03-04-16 10:00 AM
    So... are they going to pull the plug on BlackBerry 10 Whatsapp? Or just stop updates?

I hope it's the latter..

Posted via CB10
    03-04-16 10:02 AM
    If their Whatsapp client is anything like their Facebook or Twitter clients, you're better off not having it at all.
    Captain Nemo to the rescue?
    03-04-16 10:13 AM
    Agreed

Posted via CB10
    03-04-16 10:17 AM
    Captain Nemo to the rescue?
    Might as well retitle BB10 "The Nemory and Cobalt Show" .
    tryfe, CmdrStraker, JeepBB and 3 others like this.
    03-04-16 05:54 PM
    So wait - the app will no longer work at all, come Jan 1 2017? Or just no more updates?

Posted via CB10
    03-04-16 08:04 PM
    According to BlackBerry World the Twitter app is made by Twitter. It has also been the most functional of the "stock" third party apps that came with BB10, requiring hardly any updates to keep the basic functions operating and even getting a few nice new features along the way (like the built in emoji picker).

Only now are we starting to see flaws in that app, and one of them was just addressed/fixed server side.

So looking at Twitter as an example, keeping the BB10 version of WhatsApp "as-is" should be a very reasonable option to keep the app running at least as long as BB10 itself is going to be around. Not building their own, but maybe leasing the existing app or something like that.

But yes, the FB for BlackBerry App is aweful, so making their own client seems like a bad idea. The FB app even has issues if you turn things OFF. :')

BlackBerry 10, Passport signed.
    03-04-16 08:14 PM
    Whats10.

Posted via CB10
    Jose Casiano, idhbar and Ed YANG like this.
    03-04-16 08:41 PM
    According to BlackBerry World the Twitter app is made by Twitter. It has also been the most functional of the "stock" third party apps that came with BB10, requiring hardly any updates to keep the basic functions operating and even getting a few nice new features along the way (like the built in emoji picker).

Only now are we starting to see flaws in that app, and one of them was just addressed/fixed server side.

So looking at Twitter as an example, keeping the BB10 version of WhatsApp "as-is" should be a very reasonable option to keep the app running at least as long as BB10 itself is going to be around. Not building their own, but maybe leasing the existing app or something like that.

But yes, the FB for BlackBerry App is aweful, so making their own client seems like a bad idea. The FB app even has issues if you turn things OFF. :')

BlackBerry 10, Passport signed.
    Totally agree, the thing that gets me is that BlackBerry actually responded to this. I mean they have been quite quiet about everything else, but one app makes them look for an alternative? For a platform that most consider dead?

I don't see the point...

Posted via CB10
    03-07-16 07:31 AM
    Government users may not want WhatsApp for official use but they may want it on the personal side of their BB10 device as part of BlackBerry Blend.
    03-11-16 04:46 PM
    Wonder if a BBM client could bridge to Whatsapp, along with some additional options to sign up BBM users via email or phone number.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-16 09:31 PM
    Is this some kind of a secret deal to move all BB10 / BBOS users to Android BlackBerry phones. Though this does sound outrageous. You may never know. Weird things can happen.

Blackberry Classic | Circa 2015
    ravencore likes this.
    03-12-16 12:04 AM
    I just heard they planned to replace WhatsApp Messenger with a new app called WhereBB10?
    I just hope they finish it before releasing the android addition.
    03-12-16 01:35 AM
    I just heard they planned to replace WhatsApp Messenger with a new app called WhereBB10?
    I just hope they finish it before releasing the android addition.
    Lol what?

Posted via CB10
    03-12-16 07:41 AM
    I'm all for it if they are going to be actively supporting faceWhatsAppbook's application. It's senseless just to quit supporting the application for a great industry/enterprise-strength platform.

Typed using my BlackBerry Classic running 10.3.2.2876 on WINDmobile HSPA+
    03-12-16 04:45 PM
    Their commitment to BB10 developers? I feel bad for a guy that had to say that unless he is a hired PR face that has not idea what's goin on behind the curtain.

Blackberry can't develop a proper Facebook app let alone "support" any developers. Their Facebook app should have been a benchmark how third party apps should work and behave on the platform but it failed miserably straight on the face. Instead it was WhatsApp that proved BlackBerry how to develop a proper app and get the most out of platform.

Someone has said a while ago BlackBerry can't develop crap and that's true. Priv and Android development is the latest proof of that thesis.
    acovey likes this.
    03-12-16 05:02 PM
    Hopefully they will decide against this decision

Posted via CB10
    03-14-16 03:59 AM
    LOL @ Facebook app!

They have just updated it to link you to a webpage in a browser popup. That's exactly how they gonna support developers. They can't support themselves.
    Wybrem likes this.
    03-16-16 03:20 PM
    they're not gonna do anything significant except make more android devices and push for their adoption. I saw an article that said they planned to make bbm more flashy... oh really? you were waiting for a company to drop support to see them as competition? yeah right
    03-17-16 03:59 PM
36 12