With BlackBerry revealing it has abandoned OS 10 for the PlayBook due to system limitations, they have indicated they will not pursue the low end market with BB10 smartphones. It's too bad because you have Android and Windows Phone that can run on 512 MB of RAM, and rumours of Apple releasing a $99 iPhone.

Unless they come up with a 'lite' version of BB10, BlackBerry does not plan to release an entry level device and grow the new platform in emerging markets.
    kraschute likes this.
    06-30-13 09:52 AM
    They already stated a long time ago that they weren't going for the low end. Mid and high range is where they will be working towards.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 09:53 AM
    They already stated a long time ago that they weren't going for the low end. Mid and high range is where they will be working towards.
    If that's the case I think they're making a big mistake. Look at the Lumia 520. It's proving to be one of Nokia's best sellers because it's priced in the $130 range and is good quality for a budget handset. Currently ranked #2 on GSM Arena daily interest charts, right after the Samsung Galaxy S4. And Nokia didn't have to spend a billion dollars to create buzz! BlackBerry has nothing new or upcoming to compete in that segment.
    Saiga, CHIP72, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    06-30-13 10:03 AM
    So where are all those people now who were claiming qnx's flexibility so much then? (Jamezalexander iirc).

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    mikeo007 and JeepBB like this.
    06-30-13 10:04 AM
    If that's the case I think they're making a big mistake. Look at the Lumia 520. It's proving to be one of Nokia's best sellers because it's priced in the $130 range and is good quality for a budget handset. Currently ranked #2 on GSM Arena daily interest charts, right after the Samsung Galaxy S4. And Nokia didn't have to spend a billion dollars to create buzz! BlackBerry has nothing new or upcoming to compete in that segment.
    I have and love the Lumia 521, same phone but for T-Mobile. Best vaule in smartphones at the moment. BlackBerry 10 doesn't have anything that can compare with it. $130 off contract. That's right, $130 out the door, you own it and no phone bill. T-Mobile will unlock any phone once you've paid it the full price of the phone, so these are perfect to use with cheap prepaid providers.

I own one, 3 other people I know also bought one after seeing mine, and soon my house will have two more of them. My two oldest children are reaching that age where they can have their first phone. I'll pop a Net 10 or Straight talk SIM in each and off they will go. Total price of buying both their phones and monthly service for both phones for a full year is $980 before taxes. Yeah, BlackBerry 10 can't touch that. Considering BlackBerry 10 will not work with cheap pre-paid providers due to the inability to edit APN settings. Even when unlocked, none of my BB10 devices will work with cheap carriers.

I bet the new OS7 BlackBerry device will cost twice as much as a Lumia 521 does. I don't understand why BlackBerry can't make competitive devices anymore, but they certainly can't compete with Nokia or Android-based devices in the low range market.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    CHIP72 and JeepBB like this.
    06-30-13 10:23 AM
    So where are all those people now who were claiming qnx's flexibility so much then? (Jamezalexander iirc).
    It isn't about the OS, its about margins.

BlackBerry believes that they can't make a good return on investment in the low end. You might think a problem with ignoring the low end market means less people using the OS. That would hurt the platform because app developers want a large market to sell into, and that hurts their mid to high end customers.

However, IMO because BB10 supports Android they really don't need to support the low end market with hardware because Android support is there already. Its a smart business move/strategy that costs them less as long as Android support is good. Right now its easy to side load but they should make it easier and effortless IMO.
    06-30-13 11:29 AM
    It isn't about the OS, its about margins.

BlackBerry believes that they can't make a good return on investment in the low end. You might think a problem with ignoring the low end market means less people using the OS. That would hurt the platform because app developers want a large market to sell into, and that hurts their mid to high end customers.

However, IMO because BB10 supports Android they really don't need to support the low end market with hardware because Android support is there already. Its a smart business move/strategy that costs them less as long as Android support is good. Right now its easy to side load but they should make it easier and effortless IMO.
    Then why would developers have any incentive to develop Blackberry 10-dedicated applications? They could develop Android OS applications and still serve BB10 OS customers.
    06-30-13 11:46 AM
    Omg you guys speculating on the 99 dollar iphone are right : O... here's the latest picture... leaked.. from a trustworthy inside source.
    BlackBerry says goodbye to the low end market-img_00000544_edit.png

Posted via Z10
    06-30-13 11:46 AM
    Then why would developers have any incentive to develop Blackberry 10-dedicated applications? They could develop Android OS applications and still serve BB10 OS customers.
    Competition on the platform I'd say. People prefer a native app that looks better than Android and is better integrated with the OS ie: share and invocation framework and BBM.

I think the more complicated the app the more convincing the developer would need (because of the cost involved) but as we've seen, games move onto the platform fairly quickly.
    06-30-13 12:28 PM
    Competition on the platform I'd say. People prefer a native app that looks better than Android and is better integrated with the OS ie: share and invocation framework and BBM.

I think the more complicated the app the more convincing the developer would need (because of the cost involved) but as we've seen, games move onto the platform fairly quickly.
    But from the developers' point of view, why develop an application for a platform that has a small user base when I could develop a similar, inferior (i.e. non-native) but serviceable app that is native to a different platform with a much larger user base and still serve that smaller user base platform?

In all honesty, being able to sideload Android apps onto BB10 devices probably hurts Blackberry more than it helps it IMO because it discourages the development of dedicated BB10 apps. That could change if Blackberry sells lots and lots of BB10 devices, but their repeated success at shooting themselves in the foot (delays with releasing BB10, not keeping promises such as ensuring BB10 will be available for the Playbook, and more generally frequently over-promising and under-delivering to name three examples) reduces the likelihood that BB10 devices will get that needed wide adoption.
    06-30-13 12:55 PM
    not everyone knows about or wants to sideload apps, thats for sure.
    06-30-13 01:46 PM
    Even the overpriced iPhone succumbed to the power of low cost phone and here blackberry just says **** it, we gonna be different and ditch those lowly commoners market.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 01:50 PM

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    Precisely my point!. Where is the PRIDE OF THIS "USER EXPERIENCE" crap slogan!!! and ignoring the HARDWARE SPECIFICATION and saying its not effing important!!!!

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 03:29 PM